Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 23 Apr 18, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Good advice. The resale agent advised that the deal it as risk of Disney exercising ROFR at our point value, which I guess is a good indicator it's keenly priced in the current market, assuming it gets through.

Do UK folks stay at DVC's for less than 2 weeks, or just say on resort without visiting the parks? The Disney tickets are best value at 2 or even 3 weeks, but we sometimes like to mix it up with Universal etc. I'm trying to crystal ball how our holidaying might change - we have previously done SSR and OKW with free DDP. With the larger rooms being removed from free DDP, or at least priced higher, DVC seems like the best way to get the room size we want for a sensible price.

We've stayed off-site before, but the 60 day FP+ is becoming almost a necessity at certain times of the year. Last year we couldn't get hardly any of the popular rides for our party size at 30 days.
I only have 185 points so I only go every other year (the plan when I bought, I like to travel all over US). So my 185 points get me 10-14 nights in a 1 bed (albeit I'm doing a 2 bed for 5 nights at BWV this year and 5 in a 1 at Kidani) and we are off to St Augustine in between.
I do worry about Disney boredom setting in going too much.
I bought to initially stay in a different resort if possible every time, which is why the 1 beds worked so well. I like to stay in 2 different resorts for 5 to 7 days each. This is because I want to get through them all if possible. And they are opening a new one every 2 years.
I also wish to sample Vero and Hilton Head. HHI is one of the nicest places I've ever been, but I didn't own DVC then, so a return is on the cards. Hawaii and DL is on my long term plan when I do my planned coast to coast drive and back again in retirement.
I have thought about what we will do as the kids get older and it's just me and Mrs YT. I could of course sell.
But I could see non park visits in Feb to escape the winter being on the cards then. Our points would get us a couple of weeks a year in a studio, and SSR when I'm retired and maybe not going to the park will be a very pleasant destination with Disney Springs on the doorstep. Also I could forsee multi trips to Vero or Hilton head in this period.
If all else fails and I don't want to or cannot go, I can just rent the points, assuming it remains as easy as it is now (they literally go within days) at the excellent return they are now.
This is how my mind has worked on the question you are thinking about now, but my mind often works in funny ways!

Edited at 08:05 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I only have 185 points so I only go every other year (the plan when I bought, I like to travel all over US). So my 185 points get me 10-14 nights in a 1 bed (albeit I'm doing a 2 bed for 5 nights at BWV this year and 5 in a 1 at Kidani) and we are off to St Augustine in between.
I do worry about Disney boredom setting in going too much.
I bought to initially stay in a different resort if possible every time, which is why the 1 beds worked so well. I like to stay in 2 different resorts for 5 to 7 days each. This is because I want to get through them all if possible. And they are opening a new one every 2 years.
I also wish to sample Vero and Hilton Head. HHI is one of the nicest places I've ever been, but I didn't own DVC then, so a return is on the cards. Hawaii and DL is on my long term plan when I do my planned coast to coast drive and back again in retirement.
I have thought about what we will do as the kids get older and it's just me and Mrs YT. I could of course sell.
But I could see non park visits in Feb to escape the winter being on the cards then. Our points would get us a couple of weeks a year in a studio, and SSR when I'm retired and maybe not going to the park will be a very pleasant destination with Disney Springs on the doorstep. Also I could forsee multi trips to Vero or Hilton head in this period.
If all else fails and I don't want to or cannot go, I can just rent the points, assuming it remains as easy as it is now (they literally go within days) at the excellent return they are now.
This is how my mind has worked on the question you are thinking about now, but my mind often works in funny ways!
I just discussed this with our friends who we usually travel with, and covered almost all of what you just posted. Our minds must think alike, must be a yorkshire thing

I'm sold. Fingers crossed Disney waiver their ROFR.
eaglesrest is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I just discussed this with our friends who we usually travel with, and covered almost all of what you just posted. Our minds must think alike, must be a yorkshire thing

I'm sold. Fingers crossed Disney waiver their ROFR.
Good luck. If they take it just bid on another.

Do however remember those dues, whilst SSR has the lowest at the moment they seem to be increasing at 4-5% across resorts at the moment. If that continues , compound, it could get a lot more expensive.

Your dues would currently be $1755 on 300 points.
If they compound increase at 5% over the next 20 years, annual dues would be $4656 pa in 20 years. I doubt hotel room prices will over the long term go up that much, but they might. Could also affect rental returns etc.

Of course inflation is low at the moment, it could go up more, but the problem has been Disney’s dues increase are so much above inflation. Incomes more or less tend to keep up with inflation, so the problem is it’s running above inflation by so much. Disney need to get a grip on that, otherwise their product will eventually look a lot less attractive.

Just something else to think about.
Old 24 Apr 18, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Good luck. If they take it just bid on another.

Do however remember those dues, whilst SSR has the lowest at the moment they seem to be increasing at 4-5% across resorts at the moment. If that continues , compound, it could get a lot more expensive.

Your dues would currently be $1755 on 300 points.
If they compound increase at 5% over the next 20 years, annual dues would be $4656 pa in 20 years. I doubt hotel room prices will over the long term go up that much, but they might. Could also affect rental returns etc.

Of course inflation is low at the moment, it could go up more, but the problem has been Disney’s dues increase are so much above inflation. Incomes more or less tend to keep up with inflation, so the problem is it’s running above inflation by so much. Disney need to get a grip on that, otherwise their product will eventually look a lot less attractive.

Just something else to think about.
It is a valid concern and I guess it's one of those variables like the exchange rate, that is ultimately outside of our control. Speaking of the exchange rate, when renting points how do the rental companies pay foreign clients? I'm wondering if its worth setting up a US bank account to give better control over the exchange rate conversion.

I expect Disney will allow CC payments for the dues, so can use a Halifax Clarity or Post Office Platinum card for the best exchange rate conversion? It's a shame the supercard has gone, as we could have been romping up the VA miles to offset the pain of paying the dues.

What is reassuring, if I've understood it correctly, is that we can rent points for $13 per point at SSR. With the current calculated whole life per point value being around $9 per point, it offsets some of the risk.
eaglesrest is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 18, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

It is a valid concern and I guess it's one of those variables like the exchange rate, that is ultimately outside of our control. Speaking of the exchange rate, when renting points how do the rental companies pay foreign clients? I'm wondering if its worth setting up a US bank account to give better control over the exchange rate conversion.

I expect Disney will allow CC payments for the dues, so can use a Halifax Clarity or Post Office Platinum card for the best exchange rate conversion? It's a shame the supercard has gone, as we could have been romping up the VA miles to offset the pain of paying the dues.

What is reassuring, if I've understood it correctly, is that we can rent points for $13 per point at SSR. With the current calculated whole life per point value being around $9 per point, it offsets some of the risk.
Renting, you can use PayPal. Yes you get at least $13, it's due a rise. I asked David himself and he said they are waiting for the dust to settle on parking charges. That's another saving to add in if you have a car and another value for the renter. I think rates are too low, but David's etc only really need to increase if they don't get enough points as they get their commission anyway.

Yes I use my Post Office CC to pay dues. You need a US bank account to pay monthly in arrears, I can't be bothered with that.

I have started paying $90 a month on the Post Office when I remember, this is credited in advance. Just means I don't see the full bill at the beginning of the year, as it's already paid off. Someone on a forum suggested it, so we are always in credit.
Old 26 Apr 18, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Calculator
Earning My Ears

Hi Eaglerest

I'm in the process of purchasing a $90 250 point SSR contract (negotiated seller paying closing costs) our offer was sent to DVD on 31st March for ROFR. We expect to hear any day regarding their decision.

I would advise to look on the following website which gives you an indication of the likelihood of Disney nabbing your contact.

We lost an AKV contract at ROFR stage last month and to be honest I'm expecting to lose the SSR contract going from the data on the forums from the last couple of months... of course you never know and I really hope I'm wrong about mine.

disboards/threads/ro...-tool.3674375/

Edited at 04:40 PM.
Calculator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Calculator View Post
Hi Eaglerest

I'm in the process of purchasing a $90 250 point SSR contract (negotiated seller paying closing costs) our offer was sent to DVD on 31st March for ROFR. We expect to hear any day regarding their decision.

I would advise to look on the following website which gives you an indication of the likelihood of Disney nabbing your contact.

We lost an AKV contract at ROFR stage last month and to be honest I'm expecting to lose the SSR contract going from the data on the forums from the last couple of months... of course you never know and I really hope I'm wrong about mine.

disboards/threads/ro...-tool.3674375/
Hi,

Yes I'm not overly confident either. The only possible advantage in our case is that we are buying 300 points. Looking at the recent stats, at least on dvc resale market, all of the taken ones were for <300 points except one very specific and rare VGF contract.

It may be a coincidence as 300+ point contracts are rarer. The disboards post also seems to align in that all the taken ones are <300 points.

Probably wishful thinking

Good luck - you have a good deal in the current market. The price per point has shot up in the past month or so, probably as a result of DVD nabbing so many low balled contracts.

Edited at 05:30 PM.
Old 26 Apr 18, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Hi,

Yes I'm not overly confident either. The only possible advantage in our case is that we are buying 300 points. Looking at the recent stats, at least on dvc resale market, all of the taken ones were for <300 points except one very specific and rare VGF contract.

It may be a coincidence as 300+ point contracts are rarer. The disboards post also seems to align in that all the taken ones are <300 points.

Probably wishful thinking

Good luck - you have a good deal in the current market. The price per point has shot up in the past month or so, probably as a result of DVD nabbing so many low balled contracts.
300 Points is a great starter. That's what we got back in 2003 albeit that was direct from DVC not resale as that was in its infancy back then.

Be careful though, you tend to add on regularly!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
300 Points is a great starter. That's what we got back in 2003 albeit that was direct from DVC not resale as that was in its infancy back then.

Be careful though, you tend to add on regularly!
Thanks Tom. We haven't even completed on this contract and are already considering a top up

Thinking about 75 more SSR direct from Disney. We can use the points and would benefit from the TiW card 20% discount.

Not sure if the maths work out. It's apparently $145 per point DVD and looks like resale is around $115 (plus closing) so another $1925 over resale.

Thinking about it I'm not sure the perks are worth it. It'd take a fair few trips to break even, especially factoring the $150 for the TiW card per trip.
Old 26 Apr 18, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Thanks Tom. We haven't even completed on this contract and are already considering a top up

Thinking about 75 more SSR direct from Disney. We can use the points and would benefit from the TiW card 20% discount.

Not sure if the maths work out. It's apparently $145 per point DVD and looks like resale is around $115 (plus closing) so another $1925 over resale.

Thinking about it I'm not sure the perks are worth it. It'd take a fair few trips to break even, especially factoring the $150 for the TiW card per trip.
I got 25 point direct add on, because I needed the points and received the 'perks' as a side issue. 25 points were only a couple of hundred more for direct over resale. I wouldn't buy 75 just for perks when you could buy 120 resale.
Many stories of people getting TIW without a blue card, not clear if you need a blue card or not for that but people ask for it to be posted out.
Remember with 10% off if you bought 75 direct TIW only worth 10% moist places on food, so would you buy anyway? You may do if you are there 3 weeks a time.

Edited at 06:40 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List