Old 6 Apr 17, 01:46 AM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Great review! Thanks for the tips!'
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 17, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Campinggirl View Post
yes but there is a difference in the amount though surely. Unless you tip 18/20% at the bar?
Sorry, missed your post. On your bill from the bartender will be the usual 18/20% suggestions. It's really up to you what you tip. I would never tip less than $1 a drink and actually give more.
I drink wine, my Wife has Vodka and Coke. That would be $22+. If I was paying cash I would give at least a $3 tip probably $4.

It doesn't effect me as I have a TIW Card so get 20% taken off the bill and 18% tip added on. So basically I am still making a saving and they get a good tip.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 17, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Mental Minnie
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
The sad day duly arrived, and I'm back in Blighty again - although the weather here is better than it was there for a lot of the holiday.

In case it helps anyone, here's my take on the free DDP, and a few restaurant notes.

Firstly, it's a no-brainer. Especially if you can get the $200 gift card which (almost) covered TS tips. We were helped immensely by being given another $150 by DVC just for going to a 30 minute presentation, during which we had free coffee and ice-cream, and were also given 3 go anywhere FP's each. We got this from a letter delivered to hotel a couple of days after arrival. If you get one, definitely go for it.

Overall, we saved £1605 on food and drink between the two of us. This took in 8 TS meals, 5 of which were Signatures.

I'll give a brief review of the TS ones:

1. Cally Grill. Dinner. Fabulous. Good service and excellent food. I thought this was the best fillet steak I'd ever had, but it was early days, as this was the first meal of the hol. As with all the meals, we put food on DDP, and got alcohol from the bar with cash, to avoid paying 20% tip on drinks, and just tipped barstaff $1 per drink. We put the food tip on the room, and paid every few days with gift card.

2. Ohana. Although not a Sig, probably the best in terms of atmosphere. We even got lei's from the man organising the kid's races. The food was superb, and we couldn't handle all of the bread and butter pudding, so asked if we could take it away. They brought us a box with a huge new slab. I started with the obligatory Lapu Lapu. It's a must do. Didn't stay for fireworks, but went to Trader Sam's. It was about 8, and plenty of space. Hilarious, fun atmosphere.

3. Spice Road Table. It was a bit chilly, so we opted for an inside table. The service was a little... relaxed? Food was pretty good, but I wouldn't go again.

4. House of Blues. Went before Cirque, so nice and convenient. Food was great - had burger and strip steak. A lot of food. Made the mistake of ordering drinks from table, so ended up with 4 bills, which I was meant to decipher after 4 Long Island iced teas. Nightmare. Still, every day's a school day. As an aside, we had a couple of pre-dinner drinks in the outside bar. It was about 6, and the drinks were incredibly cheap. Worth a look.

5. Jiko. I was a bit underwhelmed. The food was excellent, as was the service and presentation, but it felt a tad rushed. My girlfriend was slightly appalled when she ordered the lamb, and what looked like most of a sheep turned up. It offended her liberal sensibilities a bit. (She reads the Guardian).

6. Cally Grill brunch. I wouldn't pay OOP, but the food was great, the view was spectacular, and the service was a little lacking, but that was just our waiter. I managed 5 Mimosas.

7. Yacht Club Steakhouse. Fabulous. Best steak I ever had, again. I went for the 6oz fillet, after the 10oz at Jiko's defeated me. Girlfriend had same, but asked for the veggies and accompaniments from a different dish, which was no problem.We also had a bottle of Syrah, which was $59 and spectacular. Thank you DVC. We had the table right in the middle of the bay window. Fab view.

8. Citricos. Great food, awful interior. The cocktails are vicious. In a good way. Went to Mizners bar afterwards. Great bar, but suffers from very noisy band directly outside.

10. Turf Club Grill at Saratoga Springs. Really good value and service. Waiter was a bit over the top, but he was enjoying himself. If the weather's good, sit outside.

I hope this helps a few people. It was all free. I still can't really get my head round that part. It's an amazing offer, if you can get it. I felt I'd done the best thing, in terms of having a lot of Signature's, because I never felt like I HAD to be at a certain place at a certain time every day. It gave more free time just to drop into a QS of an evening, whether at a park or at our hotel (SSR. Fab breakfasts and evening specials at Artists Pallette)

Finally, a few random thoughts:
Wolfgang Puck Express. Amazing. I had the chicken tenders 3 times.
Jock Lindsay's Hangar Bar. I could live there.
Restaurantosaurus. Go now. Take my car.
Backlot Express. Great value, as always.
Sunshine Seasons. Still doing breakfasts, still great.
Caseys. Foot long meal is 1 QS for 2 people.
BOG breakfast. Lukewarm.
Starbucks everywhere. No comment.
Coca Cola bar. Waste of time.

And many thanks to Mr. Tom Morrow for lots of advice about SSR and various restaurants. SSR is brilliant, especially if you plan to explore DS, with its many retail opportunities...

Planning a September trip. 2 weeks at Swan, no DDP. That will be a financial shock.

Dunc is signing out until next trip is booked and he gets excited again. Happy trips to all Dibbers.
Just seen this report and loved reading it. Very humorous and informative. Can't wait to try California Grill brunch. Your waiter cant have been that bad, if you managed 5 mimosas. lol I will now also be going to House of Blues before Cirque. Good idea, it being so close.
Glad you had a great time, apart from the lamb incident. Happy planning for next one.
Old 6 Apr 17, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sounds like you had some great meals on your trip thank you for telling us about them.

Joan
Old 6 Apr 17, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

Great post - 2018 will be our first time our first time on the DDP. As we have alphas the QSDP before and it's been plenty of food and variety, we have never eaten in a table service restaurant before.

I'm looking forward to a year of reading reviews and trip reports to narrow down our restaurant choices 😁👍

Phantom thread-killer of Old London Town 😁
Clamshell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 17, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Dunc
Very Serious Dibber

With reference to the waiter and the 5 Mimosas - on the excuse of having a look at the view from the bar area, I got one from the bar (there was a big tray of ready-made ones, and I asked if I could have one) and then when he bought one each for me and girlfriend, she was in the loo, so I nicked hers. (She was still on her first, anyway).
Dunc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List