Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 14 May 17, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Zomax25
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Really enjoyed reading this. We were there a similar time last year!
Zomax25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 17, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Looking forward to hearing about universal
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 17, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
wozza
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

You had me at the Nutella waffle sleep hollow day 1!
Port Orleans Riverside/Cocoa Beach October 2018
wozza is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 17, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
anniebee65
Imagineer

Loving the pace of this report. We ate at Hurricane Hannas a few times and the food got very samey, very quickly. My biggest gripe with the pool area was walking onto the public walkway in my swimsuit to go on the slide 😩😳
anniebee65 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 17, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
bang_bang
Gone all Goofy

following with interest as will be there for f&w for the first time next year
bang_bang is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 17, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
jennieg2
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Zomax25 View Post
Really enjoyed reading this. We were there a similar time last year!
How nice was the weather? We've been before in Oct and at times it got a little bit chilly but it was boiling this time!
Old 16 May 17, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
jennieg2
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by anniebee65 View Post
Loving the pace of this report. We ate at Hurricane Hannas a few times and the food got very samey, very quickly. My biggest gripe with the pool area was walking onto the public walkway in my swimsuit to go on the slide 😩😳
Yeah, we didn't like this either! I know lots of people love Stormalong Bay, but I'm going to be controversial and say I didn't think it was as good as it's made out to be!
Old 16 May 17, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
jennieg2
Excited about Disney

Day 6 - RPR, Universal Studios and Toothsome Chocolate Emporium

We got off to a bad start today. We checked in to RPR for 1 night to make use of the FOLP and when we went to the machine to print them out, I suddenly remembered I'd left the park tickets back in the safe at Beach Club 😫😫. The traffic was really bad so by the time we got there and back again it was about mid-day. What a waste of a morning. Never mind, these things happen

Mark and Anna are massive Simpsons fans so there's only really once choice when it comes to lunch in US - Springfield CS. Anna & I headed to Cletus' Chicken Shack where she got a Chicken & Waffle Sandwich with Tater Tots ($10.99)

I got the Chicken Thumbs & Tater Tots ($8.29)

Mark got a Krusty Burger & Curly Fries ($10.99)

And we had to get one of these ($4.99)

To drink we had a Duff, Duff light and a Flamin' Moe

It was a bit of a shock to the system when we went to pay, after being in the DDP bubble for a while 😂. It was all just ok (except the donut, that was delicious! ) but it fuelled us as we'd not had anything yet because of our disastrous morning! We hardly made a dent inthe donut, but as we didn't want to carry it around with us it went in the bin. In hindsight we should have picked one up on our way back to RPR.

We went back to RPR and went down to the pool for a swim and a couple of cocktails. The service here was pretty apalling. We stayed at HRH last time and they couldn't have been more forthcoming with poolside service, but there was nobody in sight here. Mark went to the bar (where the staff were all just talking) and ordered us a couple of beers and asked if they had a cocktail menu for after our beers. It's pretty frustrating as they automatically add 18% service charge to the bill.

When we finally could get somebody's attention I ordered a Margarita and I'm not sure what Mark chose, but it was green! I haven't noted what Anna had but it will have been a non-alcoholic cocktail of some kind.

We were getting a bit hungry so asked if they had any snacks available, and I'd love to report that the waiter ran off to get us a menu. Instead he told us they could make us some chips and dip. I guess we'll have that then 😐

The plate of chips was huge! Mark told me to remember my own advice - we were going out to eat soon so don't get full! Just as well as we had some company join us, who were hungry...

This made my day. I have a thing about ducks and these 2 were so cheeky. Mark was going nuts with me as I know you're not supposed to feed the birds. These 2 didn't take any feeding though, they were helping themselves!

I left to get showered first and I think Mark ordered another drink. I don't have the breakdown but this lot came to $92.82. He said he had to go to the bar again to pay as there was nobody around, so he didn't leave them any tip other than what had automatically been charged. What do others do here? We tend to give the waiter a couple of dollars per round (normally, when we can find one). Is this the right thing to do when they already add a service charge? Should we be leaving more?

Once we were all ready we headed out to Citywalk. We'd known since this place opened that we were going here...

I knew it would be busy so we were prepared for a wait. They took my number and said they'd text me in about an hour when our table was ready. This was great as it meant we didn't have to sit about. Instead we took a walk round to Margaritaville and ordered 2 x 5 O'Clock Somewhere

Wow these were strong! They were lovely though, and so we ordered 2 more just as the text came though to say our table was ready. We took the drinks with us and drank them on our walk round.
It was lovely inside of Toothsome and as it was getting quite late now it was fairly quiet. We ordered drinks while we looked at the huge menu. No alcohol for me here as the cocktails had really gone to my head. It's not like we'd gone short of drinks so far, so not sure why these really made us both quite tipsy.

Anna ordered this beauty!

Marshmallow Crisp ($12)

It was lovely (although ridiculously sweet), but there's no way she could finish it, or eat the krispie treat on the top. If we'd have had more time it would have been nice to come here again just for the shakes.

We ordered a couple of appetizers, Anna and I shared the Kettle Chip Nachos ($13.95)

Mark had the French Onion Soup ($6.95)

We all really enjoyed these. Ours was giant, so I had to stop myself eating too much.

For mains Anna had Chicken and Mushroom Risotto ($14.95)

She said this was nice but I think she was already pretty full after her milkshake and the starter, so she couldn't eat much of it.

I had the Chicken Bourguignon ($14.95)

Mark had the Chicken Bercy ($14.95)

We both loved our main courses. It was so nice to have something not too heavy or fried, and with some veg. I absolutely would recommend this place. We felt it was really good value too (compared to what we'd paid at Krusty Burger).

More than a little bit sad that we had no room left for a dessert, we admitted defeat and headed back to RPR.
Old 16 May 17, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Fantastic food report, we are there for F&W this year so I love looking at the choice's available.

I love the names on your Starbucks cups
Old 16 May 17, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Great update.

Shame about your wasted morning. I think we've probably all done something similar before though!

Can't believe the poolside service at RPR sucked so much! Like you say, HRH pool service staff are brilliant and very attentive. They have a lovely food menu too, not just "I can maybe make you chips & dips" :angry:

You don't need to tip any extra onto of the service charge (especially for such crummy service). You didn't realise when we first stayed at HRH and tipped again. The server brought it back to us & explained it wasn't necessary as an 18% service charge was already on the bill.

Aww those ducks are so cute. I love the ones that swim in the pool at Hard Rock. A lot of people get grossed out but they are just too sweet We saw an armadillo in the bush next to our sun lounger once that made us giggle, so unexpected.

Love Toothsome & you and Mark had the same mains as OH & I. The Bourguignon & Bercy are awesome.

gjdjud is doing a food report at the mo & his wife had the same risotto as Anna, they look really different! Anna's looks visually more appealing (sorry! ).

Looking forward to more

Edited at 11:53 AM.
MissFortune is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List