General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 28 Oct 17, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

From Rock'n'Roll to Creole Sept 17: Day 6 Memphis: Part 1 : Graceland

Yesterday is The Ozarks and arriving in Memphis

DISCLAIMER

This part of the day is an unashamed Elvis fest . If you are not an Elvis fan or not interested in a ton of Elvis related pics, then this bit isn't for you

The second part of today has more variety with food, shopping, Sun Studios and more food. But you will have to wait till tomorrow or Monday for that to be posted ...

Friday 15 September

It was an ok night’s sleep but a bit short as it took a while for the loud music to die down enough that the earplugs worked.

I think this and the last few days travelling did take its toll later today as we started to feel really tired

All the advice I had seen had recommended being at Graceland early and getting up to the mansion as soon as possible as it gets crowded so today was a rare day when we need to be up and about and on schedule !

We set off for breakfast by 0730.

But only after a panic as I couldn’t find our printed tickets – I had put them out last night but they were no where to be found.

After becoming (slightly) hysterical at their disappearance , I discovered they had fallen down the back of suitcase that I had put them on and they had got stuck which is why I couldn’t see them at first.

I have to confess to being over emotional this morning.

It’s the day I had been most looking forward to on the holiday ( in fact , looking forward to for more years than I can recall) and so the thought I might have lost the tickets had a disproportionate effect on my senses !

Crisis averted we headed downstairs …

Breakfast was included in the price. There was the usual buffet fare of cereal boxes, bread, fruit, bagels , juices etc.

I had oatmeal and the scrambled egg and bacon.

We were impressed with the butter/cream cheese paddle. So simple but brilliant !

It was ok and there was plenty of it , there isn’t a huge amount of seating so it did feel a bit cramped and certainly you wouldn’t feel you could have a leisurely breakfast with people hovering for seats.

We were out by just before 8.15 and on the way to Graceland, arriving just before 0845

That's the hotel on the left just after the Beale Street Sign

We passed a lot of empty lots like this, it kind of characterized some of the more deserted parts of the city

Having forked out $98 each for the Ultimate VIP tour, I was momentarily disarmed at being asked to shell out for parking.

But hey, its no different for day guests at WDW or Universal I guess ...

It looked really empty in the car park so we got parked up close to the entrance

We were a bit early for our check in time so had a quick nosey in the gift store

I declined a pair of Elvis specs

We were on the 9am tour up to the mansion .

Being on the VIP tour meant that we were on a separate bus and after the obligatory green screen photo we went outside to be given our ipad and headsets.

Now as I was already carrying my large camera, had an ipad and loads of other unnecessary items in my shoulder bag, I was feeling a tad weighed down but the ipad was really good as a guide, just weighty.

On arriving at the mansion, we went into a small seating area where we watched a short film and the guide made sure all the ipads were in the right place.

Then we were on our way in - and I was a bit surprised to see it was already full - it was only 0915 !

First stop was the formal lounge

Gladys Presley's room was next door

I had to take an " I was here" selfie ...

The tour is confined to downstairs as the family felt upstairs should remain a private space - they also talked about how when Elvis came downstairs he was always dressed up and ready as a showman , and that upstairs was the place he could most be himself

The dining room, that they say Lisa -Marie still uses on occasions

Then into the kitchen

A brief glimpse of the Jungle Room before heading downstairs

Freaky mirrored stairway

Into the TV room with the somewhat creepy white monkey

Elvis apparently got three tvs so he could watch all the channels at the same time ... just the three ..

Then the games room which is quite a sight with the floor to ceiling fabric

then up a carpeted stairway

To the jungle room

And then outside to some of the other buildings

Plenty of personal memorabilia

Like his keys

and Wedding outfits

Lisa Marie's son has a striking resemblance ..

Back out to the pool area , the paddock with some beautiful horses and into the racquetball room

and the sad sight of the Presley family graves

they are beautifully done

I don't know, it just felt so sad to see his grave beside his parents and twin brother , he was really no age when he died.

I felt so pleased to have come here and yet so sad and it also felt a little bit intrusive really . I wanted the photos to look back on but it did feel a bit odd.

I felt quite choked again as we went back to get on the bus to the other side of the complex.

It was probably about 1030 now and it was getting seriously busy

Edited at 06:42 PM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 17, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

A mini bus was waiting to take us back to the main complex.

Which is huge and is included on the VIP ticket

There's always one isn't there

First up was his car collection

And then boats and bikes

golf carts and a tractor !

A brief stop in the gift shop, each part of the complex has a different store.

The opportunity to purchase Elvis tat, sorry, souvenirs, is mindboggling. I was so overwhelmed that I only managed a notebook and pen !

Into another building to see personal artefacts and then a display of his influence on other artists

There was just so much to look at

A special exhibition of his army days

And then we looked at lots more " stuff"

Who knew Elvis was a Brut wearer

Elvis through the eyes of other artists was the next section

And then into another building - it was endless - this one mainly focused on his career and his clothes

The wardrobe collection was immense

Into another gift shop ...

And then our VIP tix gave us access to another small lounge where we could get a cold drink and see a few extra exhibits

By now we were flagging and even me, a diehard Elvis fan was feeling totally sensory overload.

There is so much to look at , its overwhelming.

I am glad we went early, we had some buildings virtually to ourselves so we could take our time and look at everything without jostling with other people.

My brain was completely full and as we picked up a couple of souvenirs and made our way out

I did get a bit tearful.

I had wanted to come here for the best part of 40 years and my dream had come true.

It sounds soppy but I felt quite emotional about it all. It had been an incredible morning.

We were flagging though, it was incredibly hot and was starting to get busy.

I did my usual thing of picking possibly the most crappy choices from the sweety shop, which promptly melted in the car

We couldn’t even face looking round the airplanes at this point, which was a bit feeble but I think we were “Elvised out” at this point.

Andy drove us across the road so we could get some pics of the gates at Graceland and I will admit to writing my initials on the wall along with the gazillions of others on there

And then, around 1145, we said farewell to the King

And headed off to Southaven in Mississipi for a spot of retail therapy - yes 6 days in and no shopping so far ! - the link is just HERE

Edited at 01:05 PM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 17, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

What a fabulous morning (and that is from someone who is not even remotely interested by Elvis! ) - Gracelands is certainly a place like no other!

What did Andy think of it all?

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 17, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker's Fluff
Imagineer

I now feel like I need to go to Gracelands and I have never been that interested before. The cars look amazing. I’m loving reading along Amanda

1997/1998 Quality Inn.2006 Villa.2007&2008Fairfield
2013 LBV Resort and Spa 2015 Sheraton Times Sq.NY.
2016 Barcelo Teguise Beach 2016 Trump Int Toronto
2016 Xmas in NY.2018 LBV Resort And Spa 2019 Croatia Venice and Boston
Beaker's Fluff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 17, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

An emotional day 😥 thank goodness you found the tickets! but amazing to visit somewhere you’ve wanted to for years 😊
Old 28 Oct 17, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
MichelleS
Imagineer

Gracelands is a fabulous place ,interesting,emotional and so worth a visit

1996 Music - 2004 Sports - 2006 Movies & POR - 2007 Loews Miami Beach & Buena Vista Palace
2008 Fairfield Inn / St Augustine / POR - 2011 Springhill Suites LBV
Aug 2022 Disney All Stars (with Grandchildren)
MichelleS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 17, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
What a fabulous morning (and that is from someone who is not even remotely interested by Elvis! ) - Gracelands is certainly a place like no other!

What did Andy think of it all?
It was a great morning - Andy thought it was good, he was surprised by how small the actual mansion is and I think he had enough of the exhibits by the end, but he was very patient with me looking at everything !

Originally Posted by Beaker's Fluff View Post
I now feel like I need to go to Gracelands and I have never been that interested before. The cars look amazing. I’m loving reading along Amanda
Hello Thanks for reading along - it is quite a place - and quite a collection of cars, I didn't even post all the photos

Originally Posted by i love jack View Post
An emotional day 😥 thank goodness you found the tickets! but amazing to visit somewhere you’ve wanted to for years 😊
I got into such a tizz- you know when you are adamant that you left something somewhere and then it just disappears and you know you didn't move it - that was me , turning the place upside down to find they were literally wedged between the back of the case and the wall It was almost a day ruined before we started !

Originally Posted by MichelleS View Post
Gracelands is a fabulous place ,interesting,emotional and so worth a visit
Isnt it just ! Its very well done , even for a non Elvis fan, there is plenty to see and we learned loads of new things. So pleased we went.
Old 29 Oct 17, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

I will admit to getting quite emotional at Graceland as well - I think it's because he was so young when he died. Looks like you really enjoyed visiting.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 17, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
It sounds like a pilgrimage. We were going to get an Elvis impersonator for our wedding as I absolutely love him, but in the end DH talked me out of it saying people would want to dance and not just watch a show...he was probably right...one day we will have to go as it sounds like you had an awesome time.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 17, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
I will admit to getting quite emotional at Graceland as well - I think it's because he was so young when he died. Looks like you really enjoyed visiting.
Yeah, it crept up on me - I wasn't bawling or anything but now and again I got a lump in my throat when I was reading some of the stuff. You just feel he needed someone to look out for him ... I really enjoyed it there. definitely one off the bucket list

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
It sounds like a pilgrimage. We were going to get an Elvis impersonator for our wedding as I absolutely love him, but in the end DH talked me out of it saying people would want to dance and not just watch a show...he was probably right...one day we will have to go as it sounds like you had an awesome time.
Lol at the impersonator - some are good and some are
We did have a great time, even Andy thought it was well done and he can very much take or leave Elvis as an artist ... but he REALLY enjoyed Sun Studios later on in the afternoon