Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 12 Feb 18, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Woohoobb
Excited about Disney

Mobile

As our resale contract hasn’t closed yet I managed to score a 50pt new member contract at SSR. They originally told me they had nothing and then I said the magic words... cash and magically they appeared 🙄
Woohoobb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida Gator
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We are officially very indecisive! We just rang and got put on the waitlist for 25 direct SSR points with August use year. Guide said it was very unlikely to come through - we are quite far down the list. She also said that time-wise it was unlikely to work for us being in the UK because we wouldn’t make payment until the contract had been sent to us. This is all new to us so I found it quite confusing! O well...we will see what happens!
Florida Gator is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Florida Gator View Post
We are officially very indecisive! We just rang and got put on the waitlist for 25 direct SSR points with August use year. Guide said it was very unlikely to come through - we are quite far down the list. She also said that time-wise it was unlikely to work for us being in the UK because we wouldn’t make payment until the contract had been sent to us. This is all new to us so I found it quite confusing! O well...we will see what happens!
I paid a deposit as soon as I agreed to buy over the phone, and the points were in my account Monday (bought Friday).
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
So far none of their action against Resale has been retrospective, as we bought in 2008 we still have all the perks but the sum total of our use has been the 10% discount in the shops & have used the lounge once. This year we probably will take advantage of the AP discount so definitely not worth it for us.
SD
People speculate that they could somehow stop resale using all the resorts or giving them less home resort priority.

Having read the declarations of condominium, I'm very doubtful. It says owners are members of the club, and also members have home resort priority. It also says it cannot be amended unilaterally by DVD to the detriment of members.

I've seen it speculated that perhaps DVD could alter it for future members (i.e. not detrimental to current members when they alter it). This looks more possible but even that would be problematic as it would tank everyone's contract values so be very detrimental to all members.

It would also be bad business for DVD. A lot of people buy DVC and they can charge a premium for it because it holds good resale value. If it becomes another junk timeshare, DVD have problems.

We must remember that the 'perks' are just marketing spend- the Epcot Lounge, Moonlight Magic etc are purely designed to sell more new timeshare, the member's having a benefit is just collateral to that one aim. The discounts serve the same purpose albeit they may also have modelled discounts sell more food and merch with DVC owners so add to the bottom line that way.

These perks can be removed at any time, from everyone, simply on DVDs whim if they decide they are not selling enough timeshare. The valet parking wasn't selling enough timeshare so it went. At the current time, management believes Moonlight Magic is a great sales tool, and if you don't believe that, try and watch the member's meeting where Ken Potrock said this is why they pay for them.

So really all DVD can do to make DVC direct more attractive is add perks or take perks away because they are non contractual marketing spend not supplied by DVC.

All members, whether you bought only direct or only resale should be concerned when DVD do anything that may affect resale values. This is because the only way to ever sell your contract is on the resale market, and so DVD has potentially just devalued your asset.

DVD is not doing this to protect members or anything, it's doing it to drive more direct sales and make more cash. So if it devalues your contract in the process, you are the real victim.

Everyone who buys direct signs a disclaimer saying they are not buying for perks and these perks can be removed anytime. But the product is marketed based on its perks and people buy for these perks- strange or what? Most people have no idea what perks really are, and that they are not even supplied by DVC or paid for by member's dues.

Think carefully about buying for perks, especially if it goes to 75 points. Unless you buy an annual pass, it's difficult to justify even a 25 point direct outlay just for perks. Don't get caught up in the hype, going in a member's lounge or getting 10% off a meal isn't worth thousands of dollars. There is of course the legitimate argument that getting a direct add on gives you insurance in case they introduce some amazing discount or perk, but that really is highly speculative.

Edited at 08:55 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I would say also something really stuck in my mind. Someone put up a detailed report about how a guide had told them a really great perk was coming around spring. The guides, by many reports, nowadays seem much more willing to spread wild rumours to make sales, but there was something about that one that I thought at the time had a ring of truth to it. We will see...
Old 13 Feb 18, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I would say also something really stuck in my mind. Someone put up a detailed report about how a guide had told them a really great perk was coming around spring. The guides, by many reports, nowadays seem much more willing to spread wild rumours to make sales, but there was something about that one that I thought at the time had a ring of truth to it. We will see...
Oh and great perk, what was it ? ? ? i need to know

perks are goooooood
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

We bought our first contract direct way back in 2003 and I seem to remember (although DH says I must have imagined it (which is quite possible)), questioning our guide dog about possible scenarios when the contract nears it's end, he said that it would be possible for DVC to restrict members to booking only their home resort or changing the timing of the booking windows. If this is so I'm not sure if it would be possible for them to restrict this to just one group of members at any given resort

Anyway I prefer not to think about what will happen when my DVC comes to an end

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC

Edited at 01:18 PM.
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Andi
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by marlouwrig View Post
questioning our guide dog

DVC - Animal Kingdom Lodge

International Drive 2002, All Star Movies 2005, Renaissance at Seaworld 2008, Rosen Plaza & POFQ 2010, Saratoga Springs Resort 2012, Hotel New York DLP 2013, Rosen Plaza and Old Key West 2014, AKL, BLT & SSR July 2015, Crowne Plaza NYC, AKL, Cabana Bay, AKL Nov 2017, Crowne Plaza NYC April 2018, Rosen Plaza, AKL and GFV August 2018, Australia Nov 2018, RCI Cruise August 2019, Rosen Plaza, Pop Century August 2022
Andi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Andi View Post
Whoopsie

Just wondered if anyone else was aware of this being a possibility or if it did come totally out of my imagination

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
Oh and great perk, what was it ? ? ? i need to know

perks are goooooood
They didn't say Matt. For all I know it was a false rumour but apparently the person who reported it said they were just chatting to a guide about perks, they weren't buying as they already owned. It just stuck in my mind, we will see, but no-one buy any direct points based on this please!
Sometimes guides do let slip with advance information. For example the SSR refurb, whilst we knew it was coming, a guide said when it would start early last year and also mentioned the Murphy beds they will likely put in there.