Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 18 Mar 18, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Planaholic
slightly serious Dibber

Renting DVC points a good idea?

I’ve never considered doing this before but now started reading into this and am now quite curious about it.

On face value, it seems a great idea (I’m looking for 2 nights at Bay Lake Towers in August 2019), but is the reality as simple as it seems? How hard would it be to get a place at that time of year?

Another question, is is completely legitimate? I guess it is but don’t wnat to find myself in an awkward situation at check in!

Any other pros and cons I need to be aware of?
Old 18 Mar 18, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Planaholic View Post
I’ve never considered doing this before but now started reading into this and am now quite curious about it.

On face value, it seems a great idea (I’m looking for 2 nights at Bay Lake Towers in August 2019), but is the reality as simple as it seems? How hard would it be to get a place at that time of year?

Another question, is is completely legitimate? I guess it is but don’t wnat to find myself in an awkward situation at check in!

Any other pros and cons I need to be aware of?
We did this last year, we rented points via DVC rental store for 3 nights at BLT, btw we loved it there, we put in our request at 11 months out and it was picked up within a few days, the whole process was seamless, we paid an initial $100 while they sourced the points then half the total cost when we agreed the deal, the remainder was paid 45 days before checkin.

It was half the cost of booking it direct with Disney and we would definitely do it again x
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
trrence
Helping Mickey

we have just done it this year for the first time and bought them off a Dibber for
£1200 less than what Disney holidays were priced at. We have the advantage that we already know the resort (OKW) so should be good to go and we have freed up money for some nice meals'
Old 18 Mar 18, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
For short stays then I don't think you will find a cheaper or better option, you get all the privileges of staying onsite plus MB on check-in. Where the water get's a bit muddier, is if you are trying to book the equivalent of "Free Dining"= Stay plus passes plus dining- DVC owners must pay the $ amount, currently $76/day, when you add all that up you start to get closer to the "package" deals.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Planaholic
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
For short stays then I don't think you will find a cheaper or better option, you get all the privileges of staying onsite plus MB on check-in. Where the water get's a bit muddier, is if you are trying to book the equivalent of "Free Dining"= Stay plus passes plus dining- DVC owners must pay the $ amount, currently $76/day, when you add all that up you start to get closer to the "package" deals.
SD
In theory, this will work well for us as we’re doing another on site stay with, hopefully, free dining and tickets etc, so all we need is a 2 night stay and then we can sort out our own food and the tickets will still have days left on them
Old 18 Mar 18, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

In theory, this will work well for us as we’re doing another on site stay with, hopefully, free dining and tickets etc, so all we need is a 2 night stay and then we can sort out our own food and the tickets will still have days left on them
That was us exactly, we’d had a 9 night onsite stay then a 3 night cruise, BLT was our last 3 nights so our tickets were still valid, also if you get the ddp your refillable mugs will still work, ours still had a number of days left on them even after our final checkout x
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Planaholic
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
That was us exactly, we’d had a 9 night onsite stay then a 3 night cruise, BLT was our last 3 nights so our tickets were still valid, also if you get the ddp your refillable mugs will still work, ours still had a number of days left on them even after our final checkout x
How did the refillable mugs still have days left? Are they linked to your ticket or the DDP? I think we’ll have to get the 21 day pass as we’ll be 14 nights in previous hotel and 2 or 3 days at next hotel
Old 18 Mar 18, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We have booked Bay Lake Tower through David’s Vacation Club Rentals for next year. We put in our request and paid our deposit at 11 1/2 months and were notified that we had got our request at exactly 11 months.
Jaybeez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

How did the refillable mugs still have days left? Are they linked to your ticket or the DDP? I think we’ll have to get the 21 day pass as we’ll be 14 nights in previous hotel and 2 or 3 days at next hotel
I was surprised about the mugs, but when you use them the drinks machine displays the date they are good to, one of our was valid for a week after the end of our entire trip!
Old 18 Mar 18, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Yes it’s totally legitimate, DVC owners are permitted to rent their points, no problem as long as it isn’t been run as a commercial renting business (which DVC classify as over 20 a year by the member).
Safest way is via a rental agency such as David’s which will make sure you are protected from any scammers albeit I have never heard of a problem apart from one woman recently in Texas. But scammers exist in every walk of life.
Agencies like David’s act as middle men, they effectively put the renter and the rentee together, and get the renter to book etc. They take a cut of the rental. A good company like David’s would look after you in the very unlikely event something did go wrong.