Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 22 Mar 18, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

C&L Explore Budapest - Feb 2018 - day 3 and 4

Day 3

We had bought pastries the day before so we got ready and ate these before leaving just after 9.

We got a tram up towards Margaret Island.

It was so cold and the walk over the bridge wasn't pleasant due to the bitter wind! The Island was very quiet, we were pretty early and barely saw anyone. We had a look around and found the Roman ruins before heading back to the tram stop. There were a lot of people entering the Island as we were leaving.

We had a busy afternoon planned so we headed back to the hotel, getting a kebab for an early lunch. These were even better than one our first day as they were stuffed with even more meat! For 600ft each we thought they were such good value too. We had it in the room and sorted our stuff out ready for the afternoon.

We left about 12.30 and got the metro to city park, we walked around stopping to have a look at the castle. They were selling mulled wine for 400ft (£1.35) inside which I had to get to warm me up 😉.

We then headed over to the zoo, tickets were 2800ft (£8) each. We had heard good reviews about the zoo and it was great, very quiet guessing because of the time of year.

The polar bears were kissing !

We stopped for a chimney cake, these were like long donuts with dusted coco powder. It was 1000ft (2.80) and tasted so good !

We had booked to go to Szechenyi Baths online, including a cabin which was about £15 each. The cabin was about an extra £1.50 than having a locker and was well worth it as you got a room to change in that locked and the queue for lockers was mad!

We got changed and headed straight out to the outside pool, it was so cold outside so we very quickly ran into the warm water ! The outside pool was 28°C and was lovely and relaxing.

We then went into some of the inside pools, there were so many and we spent some time in a few of them. There was also a huge sauna and we found some beds to relax and read for a while. We had purposely timed our visit so we would be there when it also got dark.

They had a bar so we stopped for a drink which was 1900ft for a cider and beer (£5.30) while waiting for it to get slightly darker then headed into the outside pool for a last dip.

We had a shower and got changed before leaving to go back to the hotel. We were very hungry but we wanted to drop all of our stuff back. We went straight back out and walked towards the main shopping district, we stopped at a restaurant called Red Pepper. It was clearly quite a fancy restaurant but the menu looked great. I ordered the pork cutlet with a red wine and Chris had the pork knuckle with a beer. This food was amazing!

This came to 10,200ft (£29) including a tip.

We had read about these ruin bars and one was just around the corner so we popped in, however it wasn’t what we expected. It was very loud so we went back to the apartment to have a drink instead, beers were about 40p each and a nice bottle of Hungarian red wine was about £2 . We also fancied some dessert so we stopped at the Tesco nearby to pick up an ice cream for me and a profiterole type dessert for Chris. We then went back to the room to enjoy a drink and relax.

Walked – 21km

Day 4

We got up about 8 again and packed our stuff as we were leaving today. We had brought a croissant and I popped out to get an iced coffee from the Tesco. It had snowed overnight.

We were planning to check out and visit the House of Terror Museum so we asked if we could leave our case, they said it would be 1000ft (£2.85) which we paid. We were being picked up at 1pm so we decided we wanted to make the most of the morning.

We got a metro over to the House of Terror getting there about 9.45am. It didn’t open until 10am so we went for a wander and then headed back a few minutes before 10, there was already a small queue building. I kept slipping over in the snow again!

We went into the museum and tickets were 3000ft each then 1500ft each for an audio guide which I had read was well worth it (9000ft/ £25 in total). We headed into the museum, this was excellent and so informative. I think we would have struggled without the audio guide, so this was a must. There was no photography inside the museum but I did get one of one of the prison cells.

We finished about 11.40am, quite a long queue had built up. We popped to a little bakery down the road and got some pizza slices for an early lunch, these were 200ft each (56p).

We then stopped for a chimney cake, these weren't warm like the day before so not as nice, but still pretty good. This one was only 320ft as well (90p).

We got the metro back and had one last walk over the bridge as we had about 45 minutes until our pick up.

We had booked our return mini-bud the day before online and it was there waiting when we got back to the apartment, even though it wasn't due for another 20 minutes. We picked up our case and then got our transfer. We picked one other couple up and then went straight to the airport.

We got through security very quickly and then had a seat to wait for our flight. There had been snow in the UK so we were not sure whether we would have any trouble with our flight. The time went relatively quickly and we boarded the plane, we ended up being about an hour delayed but did manage to land at Gatwick without any problem. We had parked at Gatwick so got our car and were home by about 7.45pm.

We absolutely loved Budapest and definitely recommend a trip .

Thank you for reading .
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 18, 06:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Two great days!

You look absolutely freezing on the picture on the bridge on day 3

The food seems very reasonable too!

Thanks for sharing! Where to next?

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 18, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Two great days!

You look absolutely freezing on the picture on the bridge on day 3

The food seems very reasonable too!

Thanks for sharing! Where to next?
Thank you, haha I know I was so cold! Thank you for reading .
I’m actually off on a cruise with my sister over Easter to France and Spain, so I may do a little trip report for that but with a different line up . What about you?
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 18, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney4Three
Very Serious Dibber

Thank you for sharing
We go in a couple of weeks so any tips would be appreciated as I haven't really researched this trip X
Disney4Three is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My favourite city x
anna68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List