Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 17 Apr 18, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Why does it matter to you if they are relevant to others ? Surely your only question should be are they relevant to you (or whoever you are travelling with)

It's like me asking "Are the outlet malls relevant ?" They certainly aren't to me , I would prefer to stick pins in my eyes than spend a day at one of them, but to others shopping is a massive part of their holiday. My opinion of them isn't relevant as I know having researched them that they don't appeal to me but to others it'll be a highlight of their holiday.
Thankfully we aren't all clones and have different tastes, many of which Florida serves ... there's no rule that says you have to do (or like) every single thing !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 18, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazascouser
Apprentice Imagineer

Mazascouser's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
With 2 more hotels in the pipeline Universal will now need to up their game regarding new attractions and the dreaded wait times. We went 2 weeks ago for a cheeky week away (got a bargain) we went to Universal 5 times 4 days 1 night and this included Volcano Bay. We got our monies worth out of our ticket but after day 2 it got boring. We did virtually every ride apart from the big ride by Shrek. We even did Jimmy Fallon twice as easy to book via the app. Universal needs more attractions and less shops. I think we will leave Universal for a few years and just wait and see what new attractions come on. Disney is a holiday I can do all the time if I had the money, something different every day. New rides new shops new restaurants it’s forever evolving. Disney know how to entertain you but to also get the last dollar out of your purse.
Mazascouser is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 18, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Why does it matter to you if they are relevant to others ? Surely your only question should be are they relevant to you (or whoever you are travelling with)
This! and the rest of your message.

It's like when a resort announces a new ride. Some will say the ride should not be because they don't like the thought of it... what about other people ?

well, we all have tastes, preferences, and even limitations, that will make us love or loathe some aspects of the parks, or the parks altogether.

But, as @duchy said, we're all different. What is relevant to you may not be relevant to the next person, and the other way around.

And, actually, it's a good thing, because if we all loved the same things, and hated the same things, there would be a hell of a line everywhere, and just one item on restaurant menus ... what a dull life that would be.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 18, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
TGT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Slinky Malinki View Post
I'd go as far as saying as a stand alone theme park that Busch Gardens is streets ahead of the others.
So would I to be honest, but as it's an hour away I rarely go there (that said I don't go to any of the parks that much - 2-3 days a year) too busy doing maintenance but definitely BG has the best coasters by far.

Di Gorton
http://www.villasoutherndunes.com

Villa Southern Dunes

Modern Disney-themed villa in the Southern Dunes golf community * Private heated west-facing pool * Sleeps 10* Room for all with sofa, dining & poolside seating for 10 * 2 ensuite doubles (king & queen) * 2 Disney-themed twins * 2 Lounges * 7 Flatscreen TVs * Great games room & amazing dressing up rail

Click >here< to see our Dibb Advert
Email: info@villasoutherndunes.com Florida State License: DWE6312923

TGT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 18, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
amarooney
VIP Dibber

amarooney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
That is really interesting.
Which is one of the answers to a well known quiz question- Which 6 films (movies) are based on Disney Theme Park rides/attractions.

Edited at 12:08 PM.
amarooney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 18, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post

It's like me asking "Are the outlet malls relevant ?" They certainly aren't to me , I would prefer to stick pins in my eyes than spend a day at one of them, but to others shopping is a massive part of their holiday. My opinion of them isn't relevant as I know having researched them that they don't appeal to me but to others it'll be a highlight of their holiday.
Thankfully we aren't all clones and have different tastes, many of which Florida serves ... there's no rule that says you have to do (or like) every single thing !
I think you’re confusing me asking if they’re relevant with if they’re fun. What I mean by relevant is like are they current or are they dated. I felt like I spent a lot of time answering my daughters’ questions “she’s called Betty boop, she was an old cartoon” “woody woodpecker was a cartoon” “they’re the blues brothers, they were in a film. No I’ve never seen it, either.” I don’t mean that the park isn’t any good or irrelevant, just that it feels really old to me in places, but in an out of date way rather than a nostalgic way.

I also tried to get an ice cream I ghiradelli’s and couldn’t get in! Is it a real store or just a faux frontage?

Edited at 08:41 PM.
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 18, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Princesa View Post
I think you’re confusing me asking if they’re relevant with if they’re fun. What I mean by relevant is like are they current or are they dated. I felt like I spent a lot of time answering my daughters’ questions “she’s called Betty boop, she was an old cartoon” “woody woodpecker was a cartoon” “they’re the blues brothers, they were in a film. No I’ve never seen it, either.” I don’t mean that the park isn’t any good or irrelevant, just that it feels really old to me in places, but in an out of date way rather than a nostalgic way.

I don’t think you could really ask if a mall was

I also tried to get an ice cream I ghiradelli’s and couldn’t get in! Is it a real store or just a faux frontage?
I think the confusion (if that is what it is) has come about as most of your post isn't about the use of characters that some visitors (children or otherwise) may not be aware of but of negative experiences during your visit.

Personally I think it is relevant in both senses and I see no reason to remove rides or experiences that feature characters that some patrons may not remember or not appreciate. It is a very broad church of visitors and so I think there is a place from everything from Betty Boo to the Minions, from Wood Woodpecker to Harry Potter. Like others I wish they had kept Jaws as that film is iconic.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 18, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vhm672 View Post
I think the confusion (if that is what it is) has come about as most of your post isn't about the use of characters that some visitors (children or otherwise) may not be aware of but of negative experiences during your visit.

Personally I think it is relevant in both senses and I see no reason to remove rides or experiences that feature characters that some patrons may not remember or not appreciate. It is a very broad church of visitors and so I think there is a place from everything from Betty Boo to the Minions, from Wood Woodpecker to Harry Potter. Like others I wish they had kept Jaws as that film is iconic.
That’s fair, my post and title started off asking if it was out of date and then I remembered a load of other stuff so I went off on one. I’m not saying I hated it or that I wouldn’t go back, I would. I just felt it was as if it was all done a long time ago and whilst some things had been done new, other things were in need of updating and wondered what other people think.

I’m not meaning to compare it to Disney or tell people that they can only choose one, or that everyone needs to think the same as me. I know some people would hate to get rid of the old characters, but it was almost embarrassing walking past them shouting “yoohoo” at people and no one engaging with them.

Edited at 08:43 PM.
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 18, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

This is interesting. Hubby and I first went to Orlando in 2001 and then went pretty much every year after that until 2009 when we started going every other year/3 years as we’d had our girls by then. During that period when it was just hubby and I, we rarely did Disney, it just didn’t appeal to us as much. We used to get the Orlando Flex ticket as back then it included Seaworld and Busch Gardens and was excellent value.

When our daughters came along, we started incoperating Disney into our trips and I started really getting into the Disney spirit. Hubby, not so much. We have just had a discussion at the dinner table about where we want to spend most of our time when we next go and both girls said Universal over Disney. They are both huge HP fans and the younger one in particular is hooked on the Simpsons at the minute and loves the ride. They’re not teens either, they’re 7 & 10 so it’s actually made me a little sad as I feel like they’ve lost the magic. They loved Disney when they were littler.

Someone upthread said Disney has got too busy over the years and it’s no longer as enjoyable as perhaps it used to be and maybe that is part of the issue. For me however, whole Disney experience feels slicker and more organised, e.g magic bands, fast pass system, photopass, dining plan etc. However, Universal do better rides in my opinion, the Harry Potter stuff is just amazing and their deluxe resorts just seem to have a more deluxe feel to them than at Disney.

I personally enjoy spending time at both so I’m glad there is a choice but if push came to shove and we had to pick, we’d happily give Disney a miss. Universal is definitely, still very relevant to us.

Edited at 09:46 AM.
derenstar is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Wuumple
I want to go now!

I bloody love the Universal parks but understand what you mean about parts being outdated. The thing that stuck out the most for me in that respect was the big I Love Lucy shop that used to be there as you came into Universal Studios - they only just got rid of it in 2015, but even in 2006 it struck me as stunningly irrelevant. I had to ask my parents what it was and it didn't even seem relevant to them as they said it was just some old show. Apparently, it's been replaced with a Hello Kitty shop now, but even that seems like a strange, outdated choice. Maybe that's just me though!

All that having been said, it must be difficult for them to strike a balance between updating the attractions and keeping the classic stuff. E.g. Jaws isn't very relevant anymore, but there was still mass heartbreak when they got rid of it because it's just such a classic. The same with things like Popeye's - terribly outdated, but I'd be sad to see the ride replaced or rebranded.
Wuumple is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List