Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 17 Apr 18, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
LawrenceFamily
Imagineer

Mobile Beach Club Resale

Hi guys

Sorry for yet another question / thread

We're torn between Copper Creek and Beach Club Villas but wondered how likely either are to be available as a resale and what the cost per points & dues would be?

Thanks guys
Old 17 Apr 18, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Timeshare store have some BC contracts but no Copper Creek to give you an idea.

dvcstore/beach-club/resales.cfm
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 18, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I've seen a couple of CC contracts around the $145 mark, they have been smaller contracts though. We are currently, read will, looking at adding on & had been looking at CC but finding it very hard to stomach $186 price point or a resale contract at SSR (we own there already) & basically looking at a potential saving of at least £6k!
I can only tell you our thought process when we bought, AKV was selling at $98 & min buy in at that time was 160, done the tour, loved the resort etc but decided that $16000 was too much. We get home & start talking about it again & I find Resale, we end up with 175 SSR points for $11900 including closing.
My only problem with BC,OKW,BW & WL is the 2042 contracts but again we are discussing WL at $100 & the fact that we probably won't still be going in 2067 anyway!
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
If I was buying today for the first time I would be onto a fully loaded contract at WL like a long dog. Found a 270 point contract at $94 a point and open to offers.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
LawrenceFamily
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
If I was buying today for the first time I would be onto a fully loaded contract at WL like a long dog. Found a 270 point contract at $94 a point and open to offers.
Sorry to sound dumb (Florida sun!) but just checking, do the Boulder Ridge contracts expire in 2042 or 2056? Thanks!
Old 18 Apr 18, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Personally I wouldn't buy either due to 2042 end date, particularly Beach Club which I think is overpriced given end date.
Imagine following scenarios:

1) Buy now and come to sell in 15-20 years. These contracts will have very little residual value. Whereas if you have one with say 20 years left on it will still be worth a lot I expect.
2) Hang on until it expires: other contracts for similar money still have 12, 15 years on. Even if you were not using, assuming rental return you can get today after cost of dues, on say a 200 point contract you could be making $1600 pa profit, say $20k lost profit by buying a 2042 contract.

But if you really want Boulder Ridge studios it's not a bad price.
Old 18 Apr 18, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Boulder Ridge, I believe is the "old" WLV, so 2042, we have a 2054 on our SSR contract.
I know that you have done the tour & whilst they don't subject you to the hard sell, they most definitely use the "look how much you can save..." my answer to that:
a. CC is currently the highest dues on property & you need to think that unless you have a US Bank account, it's a big bill right after Xmas!
b. the saving only works if that was where you were going to stay anyway! In our case we will about break even by the time our contract ends.
c. don't be taken in by the perks, they don't make a huge difference.

If you want CC I would go Direct, for SSR,OKW,BC,BW,WL & AK I would 100% go resale
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
LawrenceFamily
Imagineer

Thank you all for your expert advice it's very much appreciated

We're not going to be booking anything whilst we're here guys so it's all cool on that side - DH works in sales so isn't taken in by the 'perks' of which we won't need/use and he's pretty analytical so won't jump into anything unless it's 100% right or get caught up in the Disney bubble!

I think that the 'logical' buy is SSR resale because of cost & length of contract but being honest, whilst it seems a lovely resort, we don't see it as a 'wow' resort in the way we see BC & WL. If we're thinking of investing this amount of money we want to feel like we're staying in something really special that we wouldn't be able to otherwise.

Therefore the only reason we would buy SSR is so we could buy more points at low cost and then look to stay at CC or BC in a 1 bed. There is that nagging feeling though to say that if there wasn't availability at either of those resorts in a 1 bed at 7 months, we'd really be disappointed and don't want to be tied into a resort that we don't 'really love' for 30 odd years.

A lot of advice we've read has said to make sure your home resort is the one you want to stay at so that's why we're swinging towards Boulder Ridge (although DH is put off by the 2042 aspect!).

It's a very tough decision...

Edited at 11:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
LawrenceFamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 18, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

You can only make your own decisions and I wouldn't try to influence, just give the benefit of my 6 months research and considerations when I had exactly the same dilemmas. However a couple of other things to mull over:

1) There is an active resale market. Whilst most people buy with the intention of holding on to it for life, I read that on average people own DVC for 15 years or so. So you may not have it for whole of life. Familiarity breeds contempt and whilst you love what you see now, after 15 years of going back time and again, you may start to think there's other places in the world to go. Then you may sell, or rent it out. A 2042 contract will have started to decline in value significantly I imagine.

2) As I say, 1 beds are wide open at 7 months (and 6 generally) in off season and I haven't seen any tightening of that like I have with studios. Even checking now for 19th November (DVC peak but not upmost peak) you could easily get a 1 bed in many resorts, if not for a full 10 or 14 days, by doing a split stay of 5 or 6 nights etc. This includes Copper Creek. Studios have much less availability.

3) You like what you've seen of Copper Creek, great, it's lovely. But the beauty of DVC for me at least is experiencing a different holiday regularly. So this year I'm looking forward to Boardwalk so we can walk to Toy Story. I'm looking forward to Riviera, with its cable car, in 2020. I'm confident I can 'sleep around' as I have enough points for a 1 bed. I may do VGF as well 2020 and by 2022 we are looking like we might have the Fort Wilderness DVC. Will you be happy then with studio points (particularly as demand goes up for studios) possibly not being able to try these new resorts at 7 months? Even Copper Creek could get old year after year. You are reducing your chances of 'sleeping around' significantly with only enough points for a studio.

Remember if you get sick of holding points in any resort you can sell it, and if necessary buy another. If you buy an older resort and if you decided you didn't like it or it was too much to afford, you could sell it on in a few years. If the economy stays good you may even make money on the sale. Like buying a new car though if you buy the latest contract, in most cases you'll take a hit in 'depreciation' if you sell in a few years if deciding it's not worth it to you. That is unless Disney drastically inflate the new price again.
Anyway, glad to see you are doing the necessary due diligence. You should continue with this research for a number of weeks / months upon your return before jumping in. An educated buyer is a happy buyer. The ones I see moaning about DVC generally bought after the sales pitch and didn't understand what they were buying. You need to know this fairly complex product inside out.

Edited at 01:36 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 18, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
LawrenceFamily
Imagineer

Thank you YorshireT that's really insightful

That's the reason why we're considering boulder ridge because it's cheaper than CC and Beach Club, so instead of only being able to afford enough points for a studio at these resorts, we'd be able to buy enough points for a 1 bed. We could also do this at SSR as the price is similar but we'd not want to be 'stuck' there if there wasn't availability to 'sleep around' - ad you said though it seems that's unlikely to happen as we'd never travel over Xmas or at Easter

The only thing putting us off BR is the 2042 end date as we're likely to only go once every 2 years, so in effect it's 12 two week trips - it then needs to be cost effective over that time

Hope I'm making sense

Edited at 03:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
LawrenceFamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List