Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 20 Apr 18, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
This period ( when the free DDP comes out ) makes me very resentful

Now we love OKW, The free dining really does make DVC not worth owning imho

I know we are staying at the Poly this next trip, but we would be happy with OKW
Free DDP is not as good a deal as it was though at OKW/SSR. Dates are a lot more restrictive for next year, when booking and staying.
BarryandCaron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
Free DDP is not as good a deal as it was though at OKW/SSR. Dates are a lot more restrictive for next year, when booking and staying.
Definately seems that way, lots upset on the free dining thread. They aren't available after Sept either? Maybe this will be the last year of SSR and OKW?
Old 20 Apr 18, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

We love our DVC but just for a little while, right around now, I can't help wanting free dining too. I know it isn't cost effective for us but it hasn't stopped me from doing all kinds of sums over the last couple of days
Old 20 Apr 18, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I think if you stay in SSR or OKW when the offer is on, in a 1 bed, it is difficult to make a case for DVC. The one beds are twice the points but they seem to only be charging a couple of hundred quid more.
You may also find though the tickets come down by £40 a ticket once the offer is over (has done before) so that's a bit more to take into account.

My conclusion:

-Should you stay in a SSR or OKW studio, you'll still save with DVC, but not much if during free dining period.
-Stay in either OKW or SSR for periods when free dining isn't on, then you'll also save with DVC especially peak periods such as Xmas and Easter.
-Should you stay in many of the other resorts, you'll save big with DVC. This is when DVC comes into its own particularly with Boardwalk and AKL which seem to have high cash prices but lowish points. Also resorts such as BLT and VGF which have crazy cash prices. In these resorts you get the reverse of the OKW and SSR 1 bed situation because you often save more going DVC 1 beds because the 1 bed prices become stratospheric. For example, VGF (including concierge which is worth a grand tops) 1 beds are over £10k a week, so say £9k a week net of concierge. Dues cost is roughly £1200.
- Stay in a 1 or 2 bed at OKW or SSR or would be happy with a 1 or 2 bed at SSR and OKW, and you eat on site a lot, and go when the offer is on, don't bother buying DVC.
- Stay in a 1 or two bed most other places, and intend going every year or every other year for foreseeable future, go buy DVC and feel smug at how much cheaper it is.

Who knows what will happen next year with SSR and OKW though with Star Wars opening.

I note it is being stated OKW and SSR are not available Sept onward, but some say they've been told Disney will release 330 days out. We will have to see...

Edited at 11:13 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I really do think Disney should offer a heavily discounted dining plan for DVC given so few take it, to encourage more members to take it, particularly given the margins must be stratospheric... But they'll only do it if it makes them money. Even 20% off would tempt many more I suspect.
Old 20 Apr 18, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I really do think Disney should offer a heavily discounted dining plan for DVC given so few take it, to encourage more members to take it, particularly given the margins must be stratospheric... But they'll only do it if it makes them money. Even 20% off would tempt many more I suspect.
We would definitely do it if they discounted it! Even by 20% As I like to have the majority paid for before we go!
Old 20 Apr 18, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Out of interest, those of you who own DVC and are quoting your weekly/annual spends are you including your initial outlay or just your annual dues? I appreciate as Mr Tom says you could sell at any time, but surely whilst your owning it’s an outlay you should be taking into account?
Loulou127 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
Out of interest, those of you who own DVC and are quoting your weekly/annual spends are you including your initial outlay or just your annual dues? I appreciate as Mr Tom says you could sell at any time, but surely whilst your owning it’s an outlay you should be taking into account?
Some of us have done very well from DVC. Depending on when you bought and how you bought. If like Tom you've owned for a long time you'll make a profit at this moment, have had years of use and it's been a great investment.
If you say bought a Saratoga resale even as late as the end of 2016 it will be worth $20- $25 a point now more than only 18 months ago.
But it's a luxury product and depends very much on the economy. It's enjoyed unprecedented growth this last couple of years in particular. But when you sell you have costs and commission (together nearly 10%) plus you have 15% witheld for capital gains unless you claim it back, a long process most people pay an expert $500 to do it for them.
Also if you buy a new one now at today's high prices what will happen? Will it continue to go up with Star Wars or could you be looking at a big loss if the economy collapses in 2021?
That's why you don't buy as an investment but there's no denying people including myself have done well as of today, out of something we didn't buy as an investment. 20% growth in the last 18 months has outperformed the stock market, but it can't carry on I don't think.
Then there's the time cost of money- what if you had invested that cash in something else? Assuming 8% compound growth in bonds or something, that adds up over a decade.
There will come a time when the contracts start diminishing in value. It's started with Vero and as we see those 2042 contracts edge nearer, we will start to see them lose value.
So some will look to sell and may get out at the right time. Some like me haven't invested that much, mine cost me about 13k all in for 185 points, not much more than a couple of WDW holidays. I have mine until 2054. It gives me (currently) an excellent rental return of over 10% pa (another positive is currently if you put your points up with David's you will likely rent within days at roughly double your annual dues cost), so as long as that continues, when I eventually tire of it (lf ever) I can see me just renting it out to end of life.
So I suppose the point is, when you buy DVC it doesn't mean the money is gone forever, at least in this current climate, and it has actually been possible to make a profit. Over the very long term though I suspect you'd probably make more investing that cash elsewhere.
So yes it is an outlay, but it's not one where you will not get anything back unless you keep until end of life and never rent the points. That is very rare, average ownership length is something like 15 years.

Edited at 01:44 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I love my DVC, I would not pay the cash price for Bay Lake but using my 100 points last year we stayed in a 2 bed.

3 years worth of points so around £1500 in dues plus a small amount of the original cost which given we bought in 2010 wasn’t bad!

I still enjoy the occasional cash stay as well when it works out 😀
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
LawrenceFamily
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Some of us have done very well from DVC. Depending on when you bought and how you bought. If like Tom you've owned for a long time you'll make a profit at this moment, have had years of use and it's been a great investment.
If you say bought a Saratoga resale even as late as the end of 2016 it will be worth $20- $25 a point now more than only 18 months ago.
But it's a luxury product and depends very much on the economy. It's enjoyed unprecedented growth this last couple of years in particular. But when you sell you have costs and commission (together nearly 10%) plus you have 15% witheld for capital gains unless you claim it back, a long process most people pay an expert $500 to do it for them.
Also if you buy a new one now at today's high prices what will happen? Will it continue to go up with Star Wars or could you be looking at a big loss if the economy collapses in 2021?
That's why you don't buy as an investment but there's no denying people including myself have done well as of today, out of something we didn't buy as an investment. 20% growth in the last 18 months has outperformed the stock market, but it can't carry on I don't think.
Then there's the time cost of money- what if you had invested that cash in something else? Assuming 8% compound growth in bonds or something, that adds up over a decade.
There will come a time when the contracts start diminishing in value. It's started with Vero and as we see those 2042 contracts edge nearer, we will start to see them lose value.
So some will look to sell and may get out at the right time. Some like me haven't invested that much, mine cost me about 13k all in for 185 points, not much more than a couple of WDW holidays. I have mine until 2054. It gives me (currently) an excellent rental return of over 10% pa (another positive is currently if you put your points up with David's you will likely rent within days at roughly double your annual dues cost), so as long as that continues, when I eventually tire of it (lf ever) I can see me just renting it out to end of life.
So I suppose the point is, when you buy DVC it doesn't mean the money is gone forever, at least in this current climate, and it has actually been possible to make a profit. Over the very long term though I suspect you'd probably make more investing that cash elsewhere.
So yes it is an outlay, but it's not one where you will not get anything back unless you keep until end of life and never rent the points. That is very rare, average ownership length is something like 15 years.
Brilliant post YorkshireT