Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 20 Apr 18, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile Discovery Cove - questions

Hi.
We are going to DC and most of us will be swimming with dolphins. We have never been before so don’t want to miss anything or make silly mistakes. I have read that you are better off getting there early.
Wet suits - do you get these straight away? Are they in pretty good condition? I was thinking of just getting the vest type one but last year at a water park the tops of mine and my sons legs chaffed due to being wet then walking around etc so now I am thinking of the whole one but I am long bodied so I don’t want it cutting me in half! 🙈
What is the fit like? I am a U.K. size 12. My friend is also a size 12 but she is only 5ft and very short bodied, no way will one size fit the pair of us.

My husband and my friends husbands are not doing the dolphin swim as my son will only be 5 so They are staying with him. Can they all come and have photo & stroke the dolphin at the end of our swim?

I am thinking to get there early, book in for dolphin swim then eat breakfast.
After that are we better going to see the birds whilst we are still dry?
Is there a ‘best’ order to do things in?
Is there lots of shaded areas? Plus are lockers not far away at any point in the park?
A rest and injection will be needed throughout the day for my daughter.
Anything we should avoid ? Or not miss ?
We will be a large group of 10, 4 adults, teenagers and my baby boy who will be 5, he is gutted he will miss out with the dolphins as he is a very strong swimmer.

Last of all, has anyone got a taxi to DC? My husband & friends husband are thinking of having a drink or two. We are staying near celebration
Thanks x
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Falcon Bird
Trading Disney Pins

I went last Sept and can help you out in a few points.

Im a UK M and went for a L vest, it fitted fine without being too tight, it was in good condition.

If someone is not booked for a dolphin swim, i doubt they'd let them into the pool, to stroke to the dolphin, however it cant hurt to ask on the day. I am not a strong swimmer, but i still did the dolphin swim. I braved it and swam out for the tow back, but they do give you the option of declining that portion and still interacting with the dolphin in the shallows.

Id advise getting there early to book in and get your swimtime and have breakfast.

No set order to do things, its a very relaxing and laid back day. You can do the aviary wet or dry, whateveryour prefer.

Lots of shade and yes lockers are in 3 locations for you to choose.

I got an Uber from All Stars, was under $20.
Falcon Bird is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you. My son will be gutted if he can’t touch the dolphin. He can’t do the swim as he is too young, I think you have to be 6. He has been swimming with no arms bands since he was 3 bless him, he loves the water
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I'm pretty sure you can only get in the water and touch the dolphin when you do the swim, it's all very structured with timings so by the time you're finished they will be getting the next group ready to go in.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 12:46 AM  
Link to this Post
nickbeaan
Imagineer

Mobile

You can ask for a photo with the dolphin at the end for him, most times they will allow it, use rash vests under the dc vest and they won’t rub on you, they start booking in at 7-15am the earlier you get there the earlier swim time you will get, get some pool shoes as the sand/paths get hot and some of the pools are rough on the bottom
nickbeaan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 06:55 AM  
Link to this Post
tim17
slightly serious Dibber

Wear full wetsuits as the water in the Grand Reef etc is very cold, they're a pain to get out of when wet but you'll need them. Being a large group grab a row of sunbeds after you've checked in otherwise you might be split up. Pool/water shoes are a must as even the lazy river bottom is rocky in places.
tim17 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
anniewomble
Helping Minnie

Just wanted to add, it is the most amazing day! So relaxing and peaceful, we went in 2013 and did the dolphin swim and sea venture! It feels so totally removed from the rest of the mad crowded parks. Get there as early as you can, just to make the most of the day.
anniewomble is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Dreaming
Getting Excited

Dreaming's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

I tried the wetsuit and hated it, I’m long in the body but I changed it in for a vest 😋

You want to be really careful on the lazy river, it’s very sharp and goes from 8ft to 4ft very quick, can’t count the amount of shin bruises I had and be careful with kids, we went last July and my younger sister (9 years) isn’t too strong of a swimmer so had someone carry her but it was a struggle due to this and the waterfalls are quite strong going round! But you said yours are strong swimmers so should be fine!
Shoes are a must for this!

As others have said, very relaxed day! Take it as it comes and enjoy it!

And use their sunscreen sparingly... a little goes far!

And the reef is a must do spent ages in there, amazing!
2000 - DLP on-site, 2002 - Florida Villa Park, 2004 - Best western (Birthday Surprise!), 2005 - DLP off-site, 2006 - Christmas at Legacy Park, 2008 - Highlands reserve, 2010 - High Grove, 2013 - WDW 13 of us and a wedding!, 2015 - Taking the partner for their first time, Mabella South, 2017 - Parents beautiful wedding! Providence/Tuscan Hills, 2018 - DLP in summer!, 2019 - our wedding! 💓
Dreaming is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

When you go to get your wetsuit (there are several locations for them) there should be a guy there who eyes you up and picks out the correct size. You normally have to size up with wetsuits anyway. Go for the full suit for your dolphin swim and the grand reef, but you can get a vest as well for the other bits. There are plenty of lockers in several locations.

I'm sorry but I don't think they will allow a non-swim person to come in and touch the dolphin and have a picture. As mentioned above its all very structured and they follow the rules. Stroking the dolphin is part of the paid experience and I would be very surprised if they let anyone who hasn't paid for a swim do it. There's also the matter of the pre-swim waiver that needs to be signed and the video showing how to safely interact with the dolphin. They won't have done either so doubt they will be allowed in the water.

Go for breakfast first, then get your wetsuits and find some loungers. We got there around 8am and were given a 10.20 dolphin swim which was perfect. If you want the birds to land on you then go to the aviary early. We went later and they were pretty full by then! Near the aviary is an animal encounters area with times posted. Check this early as we only found it later and missed all the times.

Apart from that just chill! Its a relaxing day. Ooh and get some cookies from the snack stands in the afternoon, they are good!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Laura_<3
Imagineer

Laura_<3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 249
We're going to Discovery Cove for the first time this year (me, DH and DD who will be nearly 2). Is there plenty of loungers and shade? We were thinking of renting a cabana for the day so DD can get out of the sun for a bit throughout the day but not sure if it will be worth it.

(sorry for hijacking your thread OP!)