Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Apr 18, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
dst87
Excited about Disney

Flights: Virgin vs Thomas Cook

I've only ever flown with Virgin before to Florida, but I'm getting a quote that's slightly cheaper with Thomas Cook.

So... for those who've done both... which is better? What can I expect to be different? Virgin Atlantic (via Virgin Holidays) or Thomas Cook Airlines?
dst87 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
estowife
Excited about Disney

Its a long time since I've flown virgin, but from what I can remember theres lots of complimentary perks - activity packs for the kids, headphones, snacks ice creams & free drinks. I would imagine the entertainment package to be really good too now. Thomas cook is a bit more basic - Very nice James Martin food, but you pay for drinks, not much in the way of snacks, a more limited entertainment system, thats about it as far as I can think, but i find them way cheaper than any competitors, interesting you have only found a slight price difference

1998, 2000 & 2003 - Our "Big Yellow House" Buena Ventura Lakes
2013 - Thomas Cook Villa - garbage!
2019 - The lovely Aylesbury Villa - Davenport
2023 - Sunsets at Sanctuary - West Haven A-M-A-Z-I-N-G
estowife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
igoefamily
Imagineer

igoefamily's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 11
We have flown with both, although not for a few years with Virgin as Thomas Cook always come in cheaper for us. We have flown the last 7/8 years with Thomas Cook and truly can't fault them on anything. The staff are always really nice, we have only ever had one delay (and that was a passenger being taken ill just before take off),entertainment has always been good. I can't personally comment on the food because I dont do airline food but Hubby always eats it !
For us it comes down to price and as I say TC have always come in cheaper for us. We are lucky enough to go every year and are flying TC again from Glasgow this year.
You will get good and bad reviews on most companies but for us we have never had any issues with TC.
Quality Inn International-July 2001,Quality Inn Plaza - May 2004,Disney All Stars-June 2006,Bahama Bay -July 2007,Villa/HRH - June 2008, Villa - June 2009, Villa 2010, Tuscana Resort Sept 2011,2012 and 2013, SunriseLV(DIBB villa)/RPR Oct 2014,Tuscana Resort /RPR Oct 2015, Regal Oaks Jun 2016,
igoefamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
dst87
Excited about Disney

Interesting to know. The cost difference is pretty minimal, but Thomas Cook have access to the rooms we want (King room at POR, which VH don't seem to be able to book). Not a big deal, but it might be preferable to fo with TC for that. Also they're sorting out 2 x $200 gift cards.

Things like no booze are annoying, but not the end of the world I suppose. The fact they charge £5 for entertainment in economy is just crazy. Also I believe you get free seat selection with VH, but they want £200 for our party to book seats...

Gonna need to speak to the others and see. I believe TC are flying more modern aircraft though (Dreamliners, maybe?) so that's appealing if so!

Not Dreamliners, according to the website. No idea where I got that from.

Edited at 05:41 PM.
dst87 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dst87 View Post
Interesting to know. The cost difference is pretty minimal, but Thomas Cook have access to the rooms we want (King room at POR, which VH don't seem to be able to book). Not a big deal, but it might be preferable to fo with TC for that. Also they're sorting out 2 x $200 gift cards.

Things like no booze are annoying, but not the end of the world I suppose. The fact they charge £5 for entertainment in economy is just crazy. Also I believe you get free seat selection with VH, but they want £200 for our party to book seats...

Gonna need to speak to the others and see. I believe TC are flying more modern aircraft though (Dreamliners, maybe?) so that's appealing if so!

Not Dreamliners, according to the website. No idea where I got that from.
Why is no booze annoying?
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

I love Thomas cook flights and have just booked for next year - excited !

Edited at 10:54 PM.
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
dst87
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
Why is no booze annoying?
I realise that makes me sound like a drunk when I fly. I don't even always have a drink; maybe a wee glass of wine with the meal.

I more meant that it feels like flying with a budget airline which I don't like. The penny pinching etc., especially when the difference in price was negligible.

I think we've decided now to just book the accommodation and work out the best deal on flights when they launch later this year.
Old 22 Apr 18, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

I used to work for TC as cabin crew, granted it was a few years ago but I'm pretty familar with them! We flew Virgin last year. Personally I think TC is a perfectly fine option but VA is better. As you have mentioned, TC charge for things like seat selection, IFE and drinks. Once you factor these things in they can easily cost the same as Virgin. You also need to pay attention to which plane you are getting with TC- you don't want the air tanker that doesn't have seatback IFE. When I booked Virgin told me they are using Dreamliners to Florida next year- not sure how accurate that is. I actually prefer the 747 with the bubble... but at least you know it won't be an air tanker.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 18, 12:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

To be fair I thought the air tanker was brilliant ... and even factoring in the 'extras' virgin were still hundreds and hundreds more. It's only a plane to get you there at the end of the day I'd def choose the cheapest. Thomas cook staff were fab
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 18, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh don't get me wrong, if it was hundreds cheaper even after the extras then I'd happily go with Thomas Cook. And I think its only one Air Tanker that doesn't have the seatback IFE.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List