Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Apr 18, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
captbnut
slightly serious Dibber

Indirect Flights - Advice please

Hi

We've booked for POR 13/8-27/8 2019 and am now waiting for September to find some flights. We flew direct with Virgin for our first trip last year but, looking at potential August flight prices we are considering indirect into MCO (we have Magic Express and don't want a car so Miami is out) and have some questions please

1. Is there any connecting airport that is the best? I've seen Toronto, Philadelphia, Atlanta, JFK, Chicago among others. Any easy ones (or ones to avoid)?
2. Is Dublin a good option? I know we pre clear security there.
3. Those options would see us clear security at our connection, how long should we leave for a connection? Skyscanner had a 52 minute at JFK option which seemed a bit short. 3 hours?
4. What happens if we miss the connection due to a delay?
5. Do we wave the luggage goodbye in the UK and collect it in MCO?
6. I assume we'd have to book seats for each step (if we wanted)?
7. Anything else we should know?

Cheers
captbnut is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by captbnut View Post
Hi

We've booked for POR 13/8-27/8 2019 and am now waiting for September to find some flights. We flew direct with Virgin for our first trip last year but, looking at potential August flight prices we are considering indirect into MCO (we have Magic Express and don't want a car so Miami is out) and have some questions please

1. Is there any connecting airport that is the best? I've seen Toronto, Philadelphia, Atlanta, JFK, Chicago among others. Any easy ones (or ones to avoid)?
2. Is Dublin a good option? I know we pre clear security there.
3. Those options would see us clear security at our connection, how long should we leave for a connection? Skyscanner had a 52 minute at JFK option which seemed a bit short. 3 hours?
4. What happens if we miss the connection due to a delay?
5. Do we wave the luggage goodbye in the UK and collect it in MCO?
6. I assume we'd have to book seats for each step (if we wanted)?
7. Anything else we should know?

Cheers
1. I have done both Minneapolis and Detroit without issue, although a bit slow to get though everthing at Minneapolis which left us with no time in the waiting lounge.
2. Havn't done Dublin but would grab it if available at a good price.
3. 52 minutes far too short for JFK, or indeed anywhere.
4. As long as you are booked through then its up to airline to get you there. however lots of waiting around will ensue.
5. No you must collect it at the first point of landing in the states. You have to clear all the desks and then drop the bags back in. Usually a separate area to do that.
6. Yes
7. there is always something else to be known!
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordie boy 57
Imagineer

Geordie boy 57's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Can only comment on flying via Dublin as we did this in 2016
Found it excellent
Clearing customs in Dublin and getting off at MCO as an internal passenger made a huge difference
We checked our cases in at Newcastle and didn't see them again till MCO
Would have looked at that route again this year but there is no connecting flight from Dublin to Newcastle now after flight from MCO lands
2018 3 weeks Dibb villa/1 night Clearwater/1 night RPR
2023 Christmas/New Year. Clearwater/Dibb villa/HRH
Geordie boy 57 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
captbnut
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks, it'd be great to hear other experiences
captbnut is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Jon&Emz
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We haven't flown yet but have booked Aer Lingus for our trip this coming August. We pretty much booked them on release direct with them and have seen the prices rise steadily every since.
Pretty much if you are happy to pay the first price you see then jump at them and don't go back checking prices again

Edit: Oh and for an idea we're flying from Bristol via Dublin on the 16th of August, 2x adults, 1x teen and 1x child. It came to £2300, which is a saving of £100 on what we paid in 2015 with virgin flying MAN-ATL-MCO which was only 2x adults and 1x teen.

Edited at 10:17 PM.
Jon&Emz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Dublin is a good option , Toronto you'll need their version of an ESTA too so small additional cost. I like Atlanta.
I'd avoid Miami otherwise all the US Gateway airports are fine.
If clearing customs and immigration on arrival then 3 hours is sensible.
The carrier will put you on the next available flight ... it's prudent to not book the last connection of the day for that reason.
No you briefly collect your luggage at your US airport of arrival, take it through customs then the airline take it back (no need to queue to do this)
Yes if you want seats prereserved
No
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
tearling
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I would say our fav is Atlanta, as it’s very well laid out and there are lots of ongoing flights to MCO if you miss yours.
I would allow at least 2 1/2 hours on your inward flight.
tearling is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 18, 12:17 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I would never fly indirect if there was a way to fly direct, cost doesn't come into it, the reduction in stress is what I do it for.

That being said I travel a lot for work and often to places that require changing (as there is no direct option) in many hundreds of connecting flights I have missed a connection three times, and always it is to do with weather.

So whilst I wouldn't choose an indirect flight it's worth noting that the vast majority of journeys taken by plane in the world are indirect routings
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 18, 03:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Adultdisneyfan
Excited about Disney

If you fly indirect make sure that on your return journey that there are alternatives to get you back to your destination otherwise you could be left stranded or a long wait.

We went from Leeds to LA last year via LHR. Flying out was great but coming home we had a 2 hour delay so missed, literally by 5 mins, our connecting flight. There was another flight to Leeds they could get us on but not for almost 5 hours. We ended up accepting a flight to Manchester instead which was leaving in an hour. We got home whilst the alternative Leeds flight was in the air.

What I’m saying is to make sure there’s an alternative for getting you home. After that experience (BA were brilliant) I am even more determined to always fly direct if can. Unfortunately flights to LA from up North are limited! Thankfully Orlando not so much so.
Adultdisneyfan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 18, 06:32 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoN21
Apprentice Imagineer

orlandoN21's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I wouldn't advise 52-minute transfer time... especially at JFK. Flew to Cancun five years ago and had 2hrs for connecting flight from JFK. But because the plane was delayed leaving Heathrow we missed the connecting flight and had a wait of nearly 4hrs for the next one.
1991 Travelodge Kissimmee / 1996 Holiday Inn I-Drive / 2000+2002 Rosen Centre I-Drive / 2007+2015+solo 2017+ solo Feb2019+solo Dec2019+solo Dec2023+solo June2024 Rosen Plaza I-Drive / 2011 Point Orlando / 2011 Rosen Shingle Creek / 2015 Loews Royal Pacific / solo Feb2019 Hilton Grand Vacations / solo Dec2019 Holiday Inn Disney Springs
orlandoN21 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List