Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 9 Feb 08, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Food we ate in 2008! - Jiko

Jiko
We arrived at Animal Kingdom Lodge a little early for our 8pm reservation so that we had time to enjoy our Cosmopolitans in the bar. They sure know how to make a good one here!

Just after 8pm we were seated at my preferred location on the raised level at the rear of the dining room.
Our server tonight was Nasser. He was an excellent server, very sweet natured and friendly, yet extremely efficient and very knowledgeable about both the food and the wines. He knew the menu inside out as has worked at Jiko since the day it opened.

A bottle of San Pellegrino and a basket of the sweet-spicy bread (that I still don’t care for) were soon on the table along with a glass of Stark Syrah for Paul and a glass of Fairview Viognier for me.

We had been planning to share the Artichoke and Peppadew Flatbread again, but were shocked to find it had been taken off the menu - to be replaced by Foie Gras!

The obvious fall-back position was the Kalamata Olive Flatbread which was highly enjoyed by us both.

Kalamata Olive Flatbread - with four cheeses, and Laura Chenel's soft goat cheese

For his main course Paul chose a recent recreation of the Durban Curry he had the last time we ate here. As before the Chef prepared it with Tofu instead of shrimp.
Apart from the name - it’s now called Swahili Curry - there were a few changes to the ingredients.

Though not at all dry, there was less sauce than last time, and the flavour wasn’t quite so Tikka-ish as before. The blend of warm spices had been mixed with a much lighter hand and the majority of spicy heat came from the scarlet Peppadew peppers.

Paul absolutely loves the large pieces of tender artichoke in this dish and always waves a forkful in my direction urging me to taste and see how good it is!
Another thing he always does is have a little moan about the few ‘pointless’ grains of rice present. He wishes they’d either add a jolly good spoonful of rice or leave it out altogether.
Overall he approved of the changes to the dish and really enjoyed it, but the portion was very large and for once ‘clean plate Paul’ was defeated!

Swahili Curry Shrimp (replaced by Tofu) - shrimp (tofu) ragout with east African curry sauce, artichokes, peppadews, sweet peas, and coconut rice.

I was very tempted to order the delicious Chermoula Chicken as I just love that dish - but as I’m determined to try everything on the menu at Jiko at least once, I’ve been gradually working my way through all the entrees on offer.
Tonight I was torn between the BBQ Short Ribs and the Pork Tenderloin.
After much dithering and deliberation the pork dish won. I’ll get the Short Ribs next time.

I asked for the pork to be cooked medium but I’d say it was actually served medium rare. I didn’t send it back as I wasn’t too bothered about it being that rare, but I know some people who would be.
The meat was very good quality and incredibly tender but, my goodness me, it was a lot of meat!
The Rosti was made with a mix of sweet potatoes, white potatoes and onion, spiced with cumin and coriander. It was a bit like a Pakora but much lighter and softer in texture. I was pretty impressed and enjoyed it far more than I’d expected to.

To go with my entrée I had a glass of particularly satisfying Vergelegen Merlot. I’ve had this wine before at Jiko and I’d forgotten how much I loved it.

As tasty as it was, I’m not sure I’d order this dish again, that huge amount of meat was just a bit too overwhelming for me.
So overwhelming in fact that I had no appetite left for the Pistachio Crème Brule that I adore.

Wood-grilled Pork Tenderloin - with sweet potato rosti, sautéed spinach and spiced pork reduction.

Nasser brought us some tasty little macaroons (there were four of them on the plate but we’d already scoffed one each) to enjoy with our coffee and we reminisced about our many enjoyable dinners at Jiko and our two wonderful stays at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

We both really love the whole relaxing environment of the resort. One does feel rather isolated from the parks, but that can be a real plus if you want to spend some time just chilling out. The remoteness adds to the tranquillity of the overall theming I think.
We’ve always found the CMs friendly and warm and we love to hear the soft African music that seems to be playing in the background everywhere you go.
Some find the furnishings at the Lodge too dark, and dare I even say gloomy, but personally we find the décor to be very calming and comfortable and it’s brightened up by flashes of colour in the African art that’s dotted all around.
We love spending lazy afternoons with a cocktail or two by the pool here, and I love browsing - and of course buying a few treats at Zawadi gift shop.
Oh and I love all the eateries at AKL too!

Hmmm. You know what? I think I can feel another stay calling…….
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 08, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
truesdpr
Imagineer

truesdpr's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Yes I think I can hear that message coming across the plains Su!

That really is a lot of meat isn't it. It does look very good and I love that Merlot too. I had the Sturgeon last time with the tomato butter sauce. I couldn't believe how good the sauce was - could've eaten it on it's onwn with some bread! Shame you didn't get your creme brulee - always next time.

Great report again - thanks. I must pluck up some courage to take osme food pics next time.

Pam.
truesdpr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 08, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post

LOl Pam I hadn't realized I want to go back there so much - we still haven't finalized plans for May. I'm waiting for those AP rates to come out and then the decisions will be made.

I haven't had that sturgeon dish yet - but I will, it sounds so tasty. I had fish last time so I went for the (very) meaty option this time.

And Yes! We want your food pics Pam. Can't you practice some surreptitious snapping at the dinner table at home? I'm sure Bill and Olivia won't even notice
Old 10 Feb 08, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Thanks for the report Su

I have been dreaming about the Durban curry so hope it has not changed too much as we have an ADR there in a few weeks.

I to love the whole resort and Jiko is one of my Disney favourites. We are fortunate enough to be staying there for a week in December this year so your report has given me a real boost.

Bob
Old 10 Feb 08, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
truesdpr
Imagineer

truesdpr's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mcsue View Post
LOl Pam I hadn't realized I want to go back there so much - we still haven't finalized plans for May. I'm waiting for those AP rates to come out and then the decisions will be made.
Not sure how much discount you get with AP rates Su but I've been looking at Hotelopia and have a code for 15% off. All the Disney hotels are available on there and if nothing else may give you an idea of what you can expect for your dates. I've been looking up to October next year. The code is 21345630. Base prices seem to be similar or slightly less than direct but then 15% off on top.

I've used them for our trip to PBH in April and got a really good rate saving about Ł150 on a 2 night stay agaist booking direct.

Pam.
truesdpr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 08, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Thanks for the report Sue, sounds like a lovely evening.

Food pics are fab as always. I'm not sure Jiko would make it onto my list purely because i'm not a curry girl. Do they have any other veggie options or just the one.

DH would enjoy your meat dish although he isn't a great lover of pork but i think the portion size would more than make up for that!

No desserts Sue, tut tut, you're slacking girl!

Thanks for sharing.

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 08, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
°o°-Hannah-°o°
Imagineer

°o°-Hannah-°o°'s Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
oh i love reading your foodie reviews, we've never tried jiko but my goodness the food looks delightful
Old 10 Feb 08, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by truesdpr View Post
Not sure how much discount you get with AP rates Su but I've been looking at Hotelopia and have a code for 15% off. All the Disney hotels are available on there and if nothing else may give you an idea of what you can expect for your dates. I've been looking up to October next year. The code is 21345630. Base prices seem to be similar or slightly less than direct but then 15% off on top.

I've used them for our trip to PBH in April and got a really good rate saving about £150 on a 2 night stay agaist booking direct.

Pam.
Thanks for that Pam

On our Jan trip we got 40% off of POR and 30% off of WL so I'm hoping for similar.
Just playing the waiting game for the next lot of rates

Well not waiting that patiently really - just booked the Dolphin for $195 with Dreams Unlimited for 8 nts. So can at least finalize our dining plans for that part of the trip Bluezoo and Yachtsmans are heading that particular list.

Leanne - most of the dishes at Jiko are a bit curryfied in one way or another I'm afraid. Looking at the menu I think it'll be difficult to rejig a veggie dish to suit your tastes.
I think you'll have to give it a miss in favour of one the other 200 eateries on offer at WDW

Don't fret - desserts are very much included in the next report
Old 10 Feb 08, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
gala
Imagineer

gala's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 24

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 336
More fabulous food and drinks Sue. It all looks delicious.

Margaret

1999 - All Star Music
2001 - Quality Inn International and All Star Movies
2004 - Homewood Suites I Drive and All Star Music
2006 - Homewood Suites I Drive, Royal Pacific Resort and Pop Century
2008 - Homewood Suites, Hard Rock Hotel and Coronado Springs
2010 Homewood Suites, RPR, POFQ
2013 Homewood Suites, RPR,OKW

gala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 08, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Great food pics Sue
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List