Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 19 Mar 08, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Food we ate in Jan 2008 - Quick and Casual

I’ll start this one off by showing you the airline meals we had en route to Orlando, courtesy of Virgin Atlantic. Didn’t taste too bad….. for airline food!

Pasta with mozzarella and pesto
Chicken in mushroom sauce / Veggie curry
GU chocolate mousse
Cheese and biscuits
Red or white wine
Tea or coffee
Bottle of water

Apart from picking up a couple of pastries one morning and of course popping in and out to top up our refillable mugs, we didn’t make much use of the Riverside Mill food court during our stay at Port Orleans.
We both enjoyed the one meal we did get to sample though.
We arrived back at POR exhausted and hungry one evening, with just enough energy left to nip into the food court to get ourselves some supper. We took it back to the room where a nicely chilled bottle of Chardonnay was waiting to be opened.

Paul discovered the ’Create Your Own Pasta’ section, where you select whatever ingredients take your fancy and the chef cooks up your ‘unique’ creation while you wait.
There was plenty to choose from…. penne, linguine or spaghetti…. Alfredo, pesto or tomato sauce….. varied selection of vegetables….. and (for non-veggies) chicken or shrimp.
It was quite entertaining to watch how deftly the chefs worked and the tasty aromas wafting over the counter made us even hungrier - we were grateful that the line moved along swiftly!
Paul chose penne with tomato sauce, then added some mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, olives and artichokes.
It was served up piping hot with plenty of grated parmesan and a piece of garlic bread.
Paul really enjoyed his ‘personal’ pasta, but couldn’t manage to finish it all.
You can’t judge the size of the portion from the photo, but there was loads of it - probably enough to feed two.

I was in the mood for some plain cooking. Homely, heart-warming comfort food….

Sliced Turkey with Mashed Potatoes, Carrots and Sweetcorn.

While we were staying at Wilderness Lodge we had some take-away snacks from the Roaring Fork.
There was a sudden cold snap this week, and on more than one occasion we returned to the Lodge feeling decidedly shivery after the choppy boat trip from the Magic Kingdom.
A bowl of warming Chilli made a very welcome snack - they make a fresh batch on the premises daily and it was always available - I’d have preferred a bit more spice personally, but it was still pretty good.
Soup was also served every day. Usually it was meat-based, but one day there was some hearty Vegetable Soup on offer which pleased Paul.

Neither of us were impressed with Roaring Fork’s Cheese Flatbread. The topping was very skimpy and the base was leathery - tough and dry.
Paul chucked most of it in the bin, muttering something about it not being a patch on the flatbread at Saratoga Springs (they have delicious roasted veggie flatbreads at Artist Palette)

He was much happier with the Grilled Vegetable Sandwich he had on another occasion.
Red onion, zucchini, tomatoes and rocket were served in 7-grain bread, spread with red pepper hummus.
The veggies were nice and juicy and the bread was fresh and nutty. Paul declared it excellent!
The sandwich comes with pasta salad or chips (crisps) but Paul didn’t realise there was a choice and was just given the pasta. He’ll remember to ask for the crisps next time.
I was happy with yet another bowl of Chilli. We shared the fries which were fresh and hot - I dunked mine in my Chilli. Yummy!

Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 08, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Lunch at Columbia Harbour House at the Magic Kingdom is a tradition. The food is good and it’s a great place to escape the crowds - most people sit downstairs, not realising how nice and quiet it can be upstairs.
Modus Operandi is as follows……
We purchase a baked potato (two if we’re really hungry) and some corn-on-the-cob from the nearby Liberty Square Market, then it’s over to CHH where Paul places our order whilst I head upstairs to grab some condiments and secure a nice table overlooking the park.
A bowl of their very tasty Vegetarian Chilli is duly ordered, and Paul requests a Garden Galley Salad with the “chicken on the side”.
We can both dig in to the large salad of mixed leaves, pineapple, feta and pecans as it’s now suitable for the vegetarian - and I get to eat all the chicken.

Between us we enjoy a reasonably healthy, plentiful lunch that’s not too expensive.

The little Boulangerie set in the cobbled courtyard behind Chefs de France in EPCOT has a couple of vegetarian snacks that we both enjoy.
It was busy today and all the tables in the courtyard were taken, so we took our snack down to the lakeside where we found a table. As the wine kiosk was conveniently close I took the opportunity to sample some rather nice Cote du Rhone.

Cheese and Veggie Quiche and a Cheese Plate with Baguette ( we missed the grapes that used to come with the cheese plate)

I know Nine Dragons isn’t counter service, but dinner here is always a quick and casual affair, so I’ll pop the piccies in this report.

Regular readers will be familiar with the food we had - as we almost always order the same dishes. We added some veggie fried rice this time as the portions were a bit small last year. It was a tasty extra but not really needed as we were pleased to find that the portion size had increased again.
Service was as efficient and polite as ever, and the food was absolutely delicious.

Stir-Fried Vegetables
Sautéed Spicy Aubergines
Vegetarian Fried Rice.
Cantonese Sweet and Sour Pork

Nine Dragons is closing for approximately six months in April. The restaurant will be undergoing a complete renovation, so we were determined to have one last nostalgic nosh-up before the changes are made.

We’ll miss the old place as we’ve eaten there on almost every trip. The décor has barely changed during those 18 years and as much as we love it, the restaurant is looking a bit tired and worn now, so it will benefit from a jolly good makeover.

I’d read that the dining room will feature open display kitchens after the big refurb - but I was somewhat taken-aback when our waiter told us that Nine Dragons will become a buffet when it re-opens.
I’ve seen nothing official (nor even heard rumours) to say the set-up changing to a buffet service, so I’m not sure how true it is.
He seemed very certain of his facts though, so I guess we’ll have to wait and see what transpires.

* Edited to add that the refurb has apparently been postponed until the end of May.
So it looks like we get to eat there one last time!

Edited at 07:42 PM. Reason: date of refurb to 9 Dragons has changed
Old 19 Mar 08, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mmm Sue... thanks for those photos.

We ate at CHH for the first time on our last trip and agree that it is a lovely place to have lunch upstairs at a window seat.

Dawn
Old 19 Mar 08, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Maz
Imagineer

Thanks Su. We like CHH too and I think is a tradition for us as well.
1994 St Pete's Beach. 2000 Comfort Suites Maingate East/Clearwater. 2005 Clarion Universal 2006 POFQ/Homewood Universal. 2006 POFQ/Boardwalk Villas/RPR 2007 POR/Wonder Cruise/POP. 2008 BCV/Disney Panama Canal Cruise/GCH, DL. 2008 SSR/RPR/BC. 2009 SSR/BCV/Villa. Sept-Oct Magic B2B Cruises/SSR/BCV/Villa. 2010 SSR/Villa. Sept DCL WB Transatlantic Cruise. 2011 Jan-Feb DCL Panama Canal Cruise/GCV/Villa. 2011 Sept-Oct DCL WB Transatlantic Cruise/Villa
Maz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 08, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Chelle27
Imagineer

Chelle27's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great foodie pics once again Su. Thanks for sharing!

http://photobucket.com/albums/v495/OrlandoBelle/Glitter%20sigs/Chelle2.gif

Hawthorn Suites @ Seaworld July 2005
High Grove, Clermont, July 2006
The Bad Hair Trip Report - July 2005

The Your Eyes Are Bigger Than Your Bellie Trippie - August 2006
Chelle27 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 08, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post

i feel sooooooo hungry now looking at those photos
Old 19 Mar 08, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Food looks good Sue, I like the sound of the chilli at WL
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 08, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
gala
Imagineer

gala's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 24

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 336
Thank you for the report and the pictures once again Sue. I always enjoy them.

Margaret

1999 - All Star Music
2001 - Quality Inn International and All Star Movies
2004 - Homewood Suites I Drive and All Star Music
2006 - Homewood Suites I Drive, Royal Pacific Resort and Pop Century
2008 - Homewood Suites, Hard Rock Hotel and Coronado Springs
2010 Homewood Suites, RPR, POFQ
2013 Homewood Suites, RPR,OKW

gala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 08, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mmmmmm, so hungry now!

Love the pics, some gorgeous looking food there. I love the idea of the create your own pasta dish. That would suit me down to the ground.

Thanks for sharing Sue. Off to raid the food cupboards!

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 08, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

:)

Those vegetarian dishes look wonderful Especially the grilled sandwich

Jodie