Link to this Post
BLDY&McGoo
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
BLDY&McGoo What Are We Thankful For 2016 - Day 11 – Busch Gardens

BLDY&McGoo What Are We Thankful For 2016 - Day 11 – Busch Gardens

Today I woke at 8:20am feeling really quite sick. I'll remind you of yesterday where I chose Lasagne for dinner & I'll remind you also that I am partially lactose intolerant.
Scott and I had been talking a few days ago about how I should try and re introduce diary into my diet and see how I get on, stupidly I thought last night was the time to give it a shot but of course that was an incredibly stupid move to make.

Now I'll fill you in a tad, I have never officially been diagnosed by a doctor, they wanted me to follow a complete diary free diet which as diary is in nearly everything Is really hard. For the last 3 years however I've managed to control it myself and have learnt what I can/can't eat. My body can seem tolerate small amounts contained in other foods such as cake, food coated in breadcrumbs using egg for example, however I cannot drink a glass of milk or have a fried egg with breakfast as that's just too much. At home I have lactose free products as substitutes which help but it's quite frustrating that I can't have things when I go out that contain cheese, takeaway pizza is the hardest thing to live without.

So feeling incredibly stupid that I did this to myself I tried to push my waves of sickness out of my mind and went about my day as normal. I am lucky in some sense that some people get violently sick as their symptoms whereas I just have the sticky feeling and stomach cramps which Isn't nice but considering I have a phobia of sick is a bit of a god send.

Scott woke up at 9, as did the others and we all started to get ready for our Busch Gardens trip. We left just after 10am but had to make a stop off at the petrol station. Dad paid for fuel but I went in to grab some polos as whenever I feel sick mints are my friends.
I had to wait in the queue for a bit as some guy was having trouble getting his phone top up loaded and there was some cross words exchanged between him & the server. The smell of the shop made me feel sicker so I was very grateful to get out of there.

We sat on the forecourt whilst Scott filled up and Kim was asking if I wanted to change the plans today if I didn't fancy the drive. I was determined not to ruin the day for everyone or myself and told myself and the others I'm sure I'd be fine in a little while. I really should have listen to Kim but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Our journey to Tampa was uneventful and we arrived at 11:20 to an almost empty car park. This free parking malarkey with our Discovery Cove passes was used again and we were soon on the tram to get to the actual entrance.

Dad & Kim had get back on the tram and head back to the car as they had forgotten Dads camera. I needed a wee as I'd drunk quite a bit of water in the car to make myself feel better so Scott & I headed through the gates leaving them to return. We waited for them on a bench and soon enough they were back but all was not well. I had taken Dads memory card out to look at the photos from yesterday, I had put the memory card back on the coffee table next to the spare lense but Dad hadn't realised. I felt terrible, I mean I felt terrible anyway but now I really felt bad and tried not to cry. It was just one of those accidents but boy did I feel bad that I'd upset Dad.

Normally we take the right hand path but although I was feeling slightly better I thought it would be best to avoid any rides until later on so we went towards the animals first.

We soon arrived at the Kangaroos, we had really enjoyed these last time so paid for 2 pots of food for $10 and went in, Dad & Kim also bought some.

The heat had certainly got to our jumpy friends as they were all lazily bathing in the sun very uninterested in us or our food. A couple were hungry so we took it in turns to feed them and take some photos. All the bending down was hurting my tummy so Scott fed them most whilst I snapped away. Kim had found a little blind one, she is a sucker for a sob story, and was chatting to one of the keepers who said the 85 degree heat was keeping them all in the shade today normally they would be much more active.

We then went into the small covered area that had small deer type animals with plants & birds too but didn't stay there long as we couldn't really see much.

The aviary was next which is one of my all time favourite things but at this point I was really forcing myself to continue as I was struggling with feeling so sick and the heat wasn't helping, I was walking around holding Iced water bottles on my face and neck to try and get some relief.

Once in the aviary we bought some nectar, it wasn't explained to us at the time but the new process is you pay $7.84 which includes the feed and a 8x10 photo too. Not too shabby although the photos they took weren't the best.

Scott, Kim & I took it in turns to hold the pot to attract the colourful birds all around us and it didn't take long for them to be swarming around us so we got some really good photos of our own.

Within a few minutes my photo was printed and we were back into the blazing sunshine and another wave of sickness flooded me.

Scott was desperate for me to join him on some rides, Busch is one of my favourite parks and Scott loves all the rollercoasters here but he could tell I wasn't well so left me on a shady bench with Kim whilst they went on Sheikra. After a minute or two I went of to the toilet as I really felt like I was going to throw up and didn't want to make a fool of myself in front of everyone. I stood in that toilet cubicle debating whether I was going to be sick or not for far longer than is normal and then spent a few minutes washing my face with my iced water to make myself feel a bit more human.

As I came out of the toilet block I bumped into Kim who had been sent to check on me as the boys had walked on to the front row and had enjoyed there ride. We walked along further and I felt a bit better whenever we were in the shade, whenever we were in direct sunlight I felt faint & sick, I just couldn't shake this horrible feeling.

We visited the tigers who looked like they were enjoying a nap and then Scott & Dad went on to Kumba. I came over all faint again so sat on the step opposite the photo counter with my head spinning and sweating like a nun doing a drug deal. Thankfully It didn't take long for the boys to finish there ride and soon I had Scott by my side telling me how pale I looked & I finally had to admit to myself I couldn't carry on any longer. All three of them were being so nice to me but I just felt so terrible that I'd spoilt our day which was lovely but made me feel so guilty and I remember walking off with a silent tear rolling down my cheek.

We made our way to the exit avoiding anymore rides but did glance at the penguins and elephants as we passed, I was feeling really sorry for myself, gutted I hadn't got to see the giraffes or ride any of my favourites but I knew I couldn't last out any longer.

As we neared the exit Scott bought me a packet of crisps to try to settle my stomach which I picked at for a whopping $3.74 and then we climbed back on the tram, the fresh air feeling good on my face as we drove back to the parking lot at 2pm

Dad gave up his front seat to try to make me feel better and with all the air on blowers facing me I was soon feeling a bit less woozy as we drove home. 20 minutes in to our journey there was a huge rain shower similar to that of our wedding day, the traffic had to slow down as it was really hard to see and then all of a sudden it was gone and the sky was clear.

We arrived back home at 3pm and I immediately laid in bed and must have fallen straight asleep. Dad & Kim had taken themselves off shopping and Scott spent his time watching YouTube videos & playing games on his phone before waking me at 6pm.

I went downstairs and laid on the sofa and felt a bit better but was quite hungry as I'd not eaten all day. We watched a to show about Alaskan hunters and arranged with Dad about dinner so quickly got changed back out of my pjs.
They came to collect us at 7:15pm and we were sitting at the bar in Longhorns soon after as there was a 20 minute wait. I came over feeling really ill again and Scott decided it would be best for us to go back home so we left Dad & Kim to enjoy a dinner for 2 whilst we took the car.
I was really gutted, I love Longhorns anyway but despite feeling really sick I was also starving hungry and felt bad as Scott had been looking forward to his steak.

Scott had barely eaten anything all day either so I said we should go get him something from McDonalds as we passed. We used the drive through and ordered Scott another Grande Mac meal, me a regular Big Mac meal and a pack of 2 cookies too. Scott said even if I took one bite eating anything would do me good so was worth a try.
It came to $17.14 so we took it home to eat at the dinner table.

I ate about half before laying on sofa to enjoy my cookies which were surprisingly tasty and then feel sorry for myself. Scott went to collect Dad & Kim just after 9pm so they were home soon after.
Dad had bought some new glasses yesterday and there were more than a few jokes made about how they made him look like a stereotypical 80s pheodophile, he actually looked incredibly like a character from the film Frozen Ground so Scott found it on his laptop and plugged it into the TVs for us all to watch. I couldn't have got far into it before falling asleep wrapped in my blanket. At some point Scott woke me up and took me to bed bless him, he slept in the spare room so I could spread out but left our bathroom light on for me in case I needed him in the night. Times like this remind me why I married him, a true gentleman who would do anything for me even if it was all my fault.

So a couple of words of wisdom for you all. Do not think it's clever to eat lasagne when your lactose intolerant, do not go to Busch Gardens when it's stupidly hot and certainly don't do these 2 things together as you will not enjoy your experience whatsoever. Luckily I didn't make a fool of myself throwing up in public but I can't remember ever feeling so sick in my life. I have promised myself that I won't be making this mistake again. #NoCheeseForMe #LactoForever

Spends

Food – $23.15
Shopping – $0.00
Other - $17.84

Total - $40.99

Edited at 05:30 PM.
BLDY&McGoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 17, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Oh dear not a good day for you
Well done for carrying on.

Joan
Old 19 Jan 17, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
mouselover22
Imagineer

Oh no, what a shame My husband has a dairy intolerance too, so know how you must of felt.

Bless Scott for looking after you so well
Old 20 Jan 17, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
DrGLF
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Such a shame. You might actually have an allergy to cows milk protein rather than lactose. There's something called the milk ladder that assesses tolerance. Worth looking at!
DrGLF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 17, 12:16 AM  
Link to this Post
fa$$a
Trying for More Ears

Oh no Hun, feel your pain. Try ginger ale next time it helps me loads. Loving the report 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
fa$$a is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 17, 01:31 AM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

What a shame your day was cut short, especially when you had paid for Busch. Nothing worse than being ill on holiday.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 17, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Oh what a shame you felt so ill all day. It looked lovely in Busch too but its a merciless park when its hot . Hope you felt better the next day.
WileyCoyote is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 17, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
disneytrio
Imagineer

disneytrio's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Well done for soldiering on, when you felt so sick, hopefully tomorrow you feel better!
disneytrio is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List