Notices

Old 14 Mar 17, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
kl_belle
Swimming at the All Star Resort

For the First Time (in Forever) - May 2017 **Last Update 08/05**

For the First Time (in Forever) I am Going to WDW! May 2017

After 26 years of longing, wishing and dreaming...I never thought I would be lucky enough to finally experience the magic of WDW.

My first ever pre trippie so let me know if I am getting it right fellow DIBBers.

First draft plans for our trip HERE

**Our finalised plans as of 18th April HERE

**One Last Post 8th May
HERE

The Cast

Me - Katie, 26 and a massive Disney and Harry Potter fan (My name even matches that of a famous Gryffindor ). My favourite Disney film is Beauty and the Beast, so you can imagine my excitement for the film in 3 days time and what better a year to be visiting the most magical place on Earth! My favourite of the newer Disney's is Tangled. I have NEVER been to Florida before or any of the Disney parks so my excitement is uncontainable. I am chief planner and organiser. I have done Harry Potter Studio Tour in London and own my very own Snape wand (always), but it is a real bucket list item to go and visit Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley at Universal for me I am most looking forward to eating some delicious pancakes from iHop on this trip...oh and obviously experiencing all the magic of the WDW and Universal parks

Boyfriend - Steven, 31 (will be 32, 2 days before we go!) Been together nearly 2 years now and he is just perfect for me He shares my love for theme parks, but not quite my love for Disney - I am sure this trip will work wonders for that though! This will be his third time to Orlando, and third time to Universal, but his first ever time at WDW. I think DHS will be the big hitter with him as he does enjoy the Pixar films and loves shows/musicals. Steven is most looking forward to a ride on the Hulk and a Denny's breakfast

The How

We decided after many city breaks in 2015/16 that 2017 was the year for a big holiday for us. I had expressed my desire to one day visit WDW, but with Steven not being big on the idea it was cast aside as we looked at Mexico...Vegas...amongst others. Steven is not one for sitting around a pool for 2 weeks (or even 1 day) straight, but I am a sun worshipper so we needed something that was going to be a happy medium for us both.

Then one November day, browsing on the Virgin Holidays website we saw an amazing deal for 10 nights at the Rosen Inn flying from Manchester 10th-20th May. Safe to say it was too good a deal to pass up for some guaranteed sunshine in a place with so much to do! So before we knew it the holiday was booked and my dreams were really coming true. These were our excited faces that night...

The Plan

Flights - Staying at Premier Inn the night before and flying on Wed 10th May from Manchester to MCO with Virgin Holidays. Haven't pre-booked any seats as the top deck was already full, so to us not worth paying the extra as we're not fussed where we are seated. Return Saturday 20th May.

Hotel - Staying at the Rosen Inn nearest to Universal. In hindsight I may have liked to have stayed on Disney property with all the benefits it offers (didn't realise this till I started doing my research and we had already booked at this point!) but hey ho...there's always next time right I have decided this gives us the chance to really optimise our time at Universal and, whilst still doing Disneyworld, to accept we just will not get everything done in the World this time round. This hotel also seems to get great write ups and is a walk away from Universal so we are happy

Tickets - This was a hum dinger of a time! We neglected to look at ticket prices before spontaneously booking our Orlando holiday and Steven especially was NOT impressed with the cost of the 14 day combo of Universal/WDW tickets and at this stage, point blank refused for us to do both. I could totally appreciate where he was coming from, but was really torn with it being my first time and felt missing out on either would be a massive regret to me. After much eyelash fluttering and him being the star he is (sucking up much? ), he said if it was what I really wanted we could go to both Universal and WDW with 14 day Ultimate tickets so with that these were booked in January. Free Cirque du Soleil tickets through Attraction Tickets Direct really helped swing this in my favour as he has always wanted to see a Cirque show (Thanks guys!).

ADR
Whilst Steven was not too fussed about getting heavily involved in the planning, he had directed me to keep ADR's to a minimum so that we were not too tied to being in certain places at certain times. I chose those I thought would best suit us both, whilst still allowing for flexibility and looked to have the type of menus for us.

Sci Fi Diner - Booked a lunch reservation on Day 3. Steven loves cars so thought this would be a winner with him during a day at DHS.

Be Our Guest - Booked at lunch time on Day 6. My favourite Disney so a must for me, but went for lunch over dinner as not overly fussed about meeting the Beast with Gaston being my favourite in BATB and didn't like the look of the breakfast menu as much, so this seemed the best option for a day in MK.

Ohana - Booked for breakfast with Lilo, Stitch and hopefully Mickey and Pluto on Day 8. I love Stitch and think Steven will find it better interacting with a costume character more than the princesses.

Would have loved a breakfast at Crystal Palace as Winnie the Pooh was a childhood favourite of mine, especially Tigger. The times just weren't working out for us though, so meeting them in the Thotful Spot will have to suffice for this time.

27 days until FastPass for us with staying offsite so will post our current itinerary and FP thoughts soon...

Edited at 01:29 PM. Reason: Updated**18/04
kl_belle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 17, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

It sounds like you're going to have a great trip. I'm sure you're right that there will be a next one too...
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 17, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
kl_belle

Mobile

Originally Posted by jothp View Post
It sounds like you're going to have a great trip. I'm sure you're right that there will be a next one too...
Thank you! I sure hope so. I am already envisioning an October 2018 Halloween visit in my head!
kl_belle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 17, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I hope you have a great time! I'm really looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back, it's always interesting to hear how first visits have gone.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 17, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds like a great trip, Steven's definitely going to be converted once he's there haha! x
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 17, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
kl_belle

Mobile

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I hope you have a great time! I'm really looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back, it's always interesting to hear how first visits have gone.
Ahh thank you. I can't wait to get writing all about it when we get back
Old 15 Mar 17, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
kl_belle

Mobile

Originally Posted by EJSakaAnna View Post
Sounds like a great trip, Steven's definitely going to be converted once he's there haha! x
I sure hope he does so it means the first of many future visits lol!
Old 16 Mar 17, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
kl_belle

Update 16/03 - Itinerary Coming Together!

So Much Chopping and Changing!

And I still think there will be more to come 25 days until our FP opens with staying offsite, so still room for me (or for fellow DIBBers) to change my mind.

Here we go...

Day 0 (9th May) - The Night Before. A day at work for us both unfortunately but then a shower, last bits of packing and heading off to the Premier Inn at Manchester Airport with some quick grub en route. Holiday begins! YAY

Day 1 (10th May) - Travel Day. Fly from MAN-MCO, should land about 2.30pm. Hoping to get to Rosen Inn for about 5.30ish (is that realistic?) May head to MK for penultimate Wishes, but I have a feeling this may get pushed back to Day 2 due to the tiredness from a day of travelling. If not MK, a wander for some food, then bed.

Day 2 (11th May) - Imagine we will be up earlyish with jet lag. Brekkie somewhere tasty like iHop then over to IOA for opening and to spend the day. Hopefully head back at 4ish for a quick refresh then, if not done the night before, grab an Uber to MK for the last ever Wishes show and maybe grab a go on a couple of rides.

Day 3 (12th May) - A day at DHS today. ADR for either lunch or dinner at Sci Fi Diner (I still haven't decided which time so currently have two!) Get as much done here as possible and hopefully power through the day to watch Fantasmic.
FP+ Hopefuls - Toy Story, Star Tours & Indiana Jones.

Day 4 (13th May) - A bit of a lie in this morning, then over to TL hopefully for 10am open. Stay here until we've had enough then over to DS, dinner at D-Luxe Burger and La Nouba Show at 9pm.

Day 5 (14th May) - A day at Universal Studios today. Plan on taking this at a leisurely pace and focusing on HP parts of Universal. Hard Rock Cafe for dinner and most likely an earlyish night.

Day 6 (15th May) - MK at park open time for a full on day today. Be Our Guest ADR at 2pm and staying for Happily Ever After.
FP+ Hopefuls - Haunted Mansion, 7DMT & Space Mountain.

Day 7 (16th May) - After Day 6 being a long one, thinking a chilled morning by the pool, maybe head back to IOA/US later in the day to redo favourite rides or if we have the energy head to a Disney park - maybe DHS again.

Day 8 (17th May) - Early start with an ADR at Ohana for breakfast at 7.30am, after this head over to AK for the morning. For a bit of a rest without leaving Disney maybe spend a couple of hours at BB then head over to Epcot late afternoon/evening to catch Illuminations if we are not too tired.
FP+ Hopefuls - Expedition Everest, Dinosaur & Primeval Whirl.

Day 9 (18th May) - Day trip today. Pre booked a trip to NASA, followed by an Airboat ride. Just head for dinner when we get back from this.

Day 10 (19th May)
- Epcot day. Spend the morning on the rides, then head over to World Showcase for the afternoon and evening. Head back when we've had enough and pack for home
FP+ Hopefuls - Mission:Space, Character Spot & Frozen Ever After

Day 11 (20th May) - Last Day Our flight home is 6.30pm so assuming we will get picked up somewhere around 3ish. Torn between heading back to IOA/US for the morning or perhaps doing a morning back at whichever turns out to be our favourite Disney park?

And that's all folks. Can't believe how quickly it is all coming around now!
Old 6 Apr 17, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Charmed Kirsty
Very Serious Dibber

We do fly the same day! We are doing MK on the 11th too. My DH birthday is 5 days before we go. I look forward to reading your trip report when we return remember to make lots of notes as it's so easy to forget things.
Charmed Kirsty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 17, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
JanetteP
Imagineer

Great Pre-Trippie - we're 1 week after you. Have a great time.

Janette
Dreamy Corner June 23, Potter’s Villa May 22, Shamu Villa Sep 22,AKL, HRH Lakeside Haven Sep 19, Lakeside Haven RPR May 19. White Blossom & Viburnum Villa Aug 18. SSR, Aurora Villa May 18. Kidani, RPR Champion Florida Villa 17, Staybridge Suites, White Blossom & Owens Villa 16 OKW, Champion Florida Villa & RPR 16, Magic Landings 15, Grand Reserve & HRH 2014, Tuscan Pines 12, Highgrove 09, Legacy Park 07, Indian Point 06 and 05, Florida Pines 04
Graduation Trip 2019
+ Trip Report 2018
JanetteP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List