Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 25 Apr 17, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyphile
Apprentice Imagineer

Munich

I have always wanted to visit Neuschwanstein castle and I am planning on booking flights for next February. Has anyone else been there before? Can anyone recommend anything else to do in a
or around Munich. I was thinking about hiring a car.
Disneyphile is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

We are heading over there at the end of May for a week but heading over to Salzburg for a few days too. We are also visiting the castle but instead of doing an organised trip I am looking to do ourselves by public transport.

I've googled it and looks quite straightforward. Already booked our tickets for the castle and will see how it goes on the day. More than happy to let you know when we get back.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 06:15 AM  
Link to this Post
sweetemotion
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 114
I went to Munich Dec 2015, and it was amazing. I spent one day doing the Neuschwanstein Castle through Grey Line tours, and they were fantastic. My tour guide was amazing and gave us so much information about Munich and the castle. On this tour we also got to visit the Linderhof palace, owned/created by the same guy as Neuschwanstein, and the bavarian town of Oberammergau which was fantastic! I combined my visit with the Christmas markets so got to do things like the Krampus run which was so fun.

WDW - 96, 99, 00, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 17
DLP - 98, 01, 02, 10 DLR - 11, 12, 14, 18 15
Las Vegas - 11, 12, 13x2, 14, 18x2
WDW Cast Member 17 - 18 14 U.S. States & Counting!
sweetemotion is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneyphile
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
We are heading over there at the end of May for a week but heading over to Salzburg for a few days too. We are also visiting the castle but instead of doing an organised trip I am looking to do ourselves by public transport.

I've googled it and looks quite straightforward. Already booked our tickets for the castle and will see how it goes on the day. More than happy to let you know when we get back.

Yes please, that would be great. Thank you.
Disneyphile is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneyphile
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by sweetemotion View Post
I went to Munich Dec 2015, and it was amazing. I spent one day doing the Neuschwanstein Castle through Grey Line tours, and they were fantastic. My tour guide was amazing and gave us so much information about Munich and the castle. On this tour we also got to visit the Linderhof palace, owned/created by the same guy as Neuschwanstein, and the bavarian town of Oberammergau which was fantastic! I combined my visit with the Christmas markets so got to do things like the Krampus run which was so fun.
I will look into doing a tour too, thanks.
Old 27 Apr 17, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneyphile
Apprentice Imagineer

Booked our flights this morning with EasyJet. Now just need a hotel. 😃
Old 27 Apr 17, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
dibdobber
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

dibdobber's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Would recommend city coach tour to get your bearings, Ours included a trip to the Olympic Stadium area and up the tower there but i think there were a few variations. Also went on a tour of the Bayern Stadium which was excellent. There are a limited number of english language tours but after about 2 minutes on a scheduled german tour (we didn't have a lot of time to spare and really wanted to see the stadium) our guide realised that only about 2 out of the 20 or so people on the tour actually understood german and then proceeded to give the tour in both english and german - he said he had to do it in german because it was a german tour. However he was really good. We also had a fantastic meal in a bier hall type place close to one of the main markets. the service - of hot and fresh food - was absolutely incredible and we still judge all other meals in terms of speed of service by it. Oh and there is a massive Milka chocolate store near to it which was fab too. I really liked Munich!
dibdobber is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 17, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
pennycrayon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

We also did the tour via Greyline - was great highly recommended. For hotel we stayed at a motel one - great chain and location
Old 30 May 17, 05:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
Yes please, that would be great. Thank you.
Hi we just got back from doing this yesterday. Really easy on public transport. I googled it before I went and followed the instructions and had no issues.

You can get a Bayern ticket which for 3 of us cost €37. This covered the subway, train to Fussen, busses to the main area and back again for the day. Train was busy so if you go this way would recommend getting on early.

We picked up our tickets, visited the castle and area around and got the 6pm train back to Munich. It worked out a lot cheaper than an organised tour for us. You would miss out on some of the commentary from a guide and you are relying on public transport ( check the bus back to Fussen as you get off as they run about every 40 minutes for your return) but it worked fine for us. The castle is stunning too.

If you're still looking for a hotel we are at the Novotel, great transport links and a brilliant hotel.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List