Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 5 May 17, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Should I go to Orlando on Monday? [Update: I went!]

Background: I gave up proper work just over a year ago and have largely dossed around since. I'm quite time rich and although not massively cash rich, I was fortunate enough to be able to make the move with a bit of a safety net.

I've thought about a little solo trip to the magic for a while. I had considered going out for the big DIS Unplugged party thing at the beginning of June but then Wishes ending caught my attention. It finishes next week. Like many, I love Wishes and it's been a highlight of many trips over the years.

There is no barrier of any note stopping me booking a trip to Orlando on Monday for, say, 7-10 nights.

Well, I say that, but I'd feel guilty about it. Very guilty. Again, like many of us, WDW is a place for family magic - we do it together - always have done. Due to the kids being in school and my partner working in a school, I would be by myself.

That feels quite an exciting prospect in some regards. Doing exactly what I wanted, when I wanted. Selfish. Decadent even. But I know I'd really miss it being a shared experience with those I hold most dear.

Over our regular Friday morning breakfast together this morning my partner said "Do it - you'll have a great time."

I don't know if I can though. Would you?

Part One
Part Two

Edited at 08:49 PM.
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 17, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
No!
I can't imagine doing any trips without my Wife. We do everything together and always will.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 17, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Background: I gave up proper work just over a year ago and have largely dossed around since. I'm quite time rich and although not massively cash rich, I was fortunate enough to be able to make the move with a bit of a safety net.

I've thought about a little solo trip to the magic for a while. I had considered going out for the big DIS Unplugged party thing at the beginning of June but then Wishes ending caught my attention. It finishes next week. Like many, I love Wishes and it's been a highlight of many trips over the years.

There is no barrier of any note stopping me booking a trip to Orlando on Monday for, say, 7-10 nights.

Well, I say that, but I'd feel guilty about it. Very guilty. Again, like many of us, WDW is a place for family magic - we do it together - always have done. Due to the kids being in school and my partner working in a school, I would be by myself.

That feels quite an exciting prospect in some regards. Doing exactly what I wanted, when I wanted. Selfish. Decadent even. But I know I'd really miss it being a shared experience with those I hold most dear.

Over our regular Friday morning breakfast together this morning my partner said "Do it - you'll have a great time."

I don't know if I can though. Would you?
What would the kids say?
Old 5 May 17, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
spenners
I'm Ready To Go NOW!

spenners's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 10
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
If your partner is happy for you to go then do it. Not sure I would enjoy it without my family though

Las Vegas - October 2023 (6th West Coast Trip)
New York - February 2019 - My 50th Birthday Trip (1st Visit)
Florida - January 2024 - Taking mini me for her 30th birthday (22nd Visit to Florida)
Florida - September 2024 (23rd visit) - just me and hubby
spenners is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 17, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by loola30 View Post
What would the kids say?
Yeah, I've thought about that too.

If nothing else, I also know it would force my hand to ensure we go back this August - something that is currently up in the air!

I can bring gifts back though, right? That will keep them sweet surely?

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

Can they go too?

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

An interesting question Bozza and one that i have contemplated from time to time.

My decision would be no. Whilst i could also afford it, i would get no pleasure myself, as my pleasure is a shared pleasure.

This is an individual thing and depends on your mentality imho.

Disney332
Old 5 May 17, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Yeah, I've thought about that too.

If nothing else, I also know it would force my hand to ensure we go bac this August - something that is currently up in the air!

I can bring gifts back though, right? That will keep them sweet surely?
Don't do it. I couldn't.
Old 5 May 17, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
leenkerri
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
No!
I can't imagine doing any trips without my Wife. We do everything together and always will.
Agree with this. Although Kerri is not my wife, I think 99% of the enjoyment is doing it with her. I couldn't go alone (as tempting as the peace and quiet would be)

Lee: QIP 1990; Fantasy world villas 1992; QIP 1996
Lee & Kerri: QIP 2008; QIP/AKL 2009; POR 2010; QIP/SSR 2011
leenkerri is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 17, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Opposite point of view - I have done 4 or 5 solo trips (never to WDW but far flung places like NY, Hong Kong and Malaysia).

I love my family dearly but sometimes it is wonderful to just do what I want to do! The rest of the time I am guilty of putting everyone else before me! My family is very supportive of my wanderlust! It doesn't impact our own trips! We still have our family holidays!

If your wife says go for it - then do! Occassionally it does you the world of good to recharge your batteries and just be by yourself!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread