Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 May 17, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
How far are you responsible for your dog's behaviour?

There's a house I ride my horse past regularly where their dog charges out from round the side of the house like a maniac and runs up to the gate and barks and growls at horses going past.
Because I ride up there regularly my horse is used to it and takes no notice but anybody riding up there for the first time would probably find their horse really startled and there could be a nasty accident.
Would the dog owner be legally in any way responsible? As the dog doesn't leave their property?
I've spoken to them about it but they don't care, basically, even though I told them the person having an accident could be a small child
FlorayG is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We have similar here .

Round the corner from my house are two horrible little dogs , they have the run of their garden and are fences in but the fence has big gaps . They run up and down it barking snapping and snarling at everyone that walks past . My Lab is terrified of them .
I know the neighbour has complained to the council but because they are fenced in on their property nothing can be done .

I suspect it would be the same for this dog too .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
If it is considered dangerous then yes.
My friend has a Rottie who is behind a heavy wooden 4 ft fence (maybe a tad higher?) so when he jumps up his head is visible, there is grass between the fence and the path, about 2 ft wide so you are not actually walking next to him.
He does like to bark at passers by (bark not snarl) someone reported that he was dangerous and my friend had a visit from the police.
He is the softest, stupidest dog you could meet, however I can understand that his size and barking could frighten someone passing.
The police were happy that he was inside a solid wooden fence and that the pathway was not directly by the fence so that was the end of the story.
Old 22 May 17, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post

If dangerous then it could be reported for being a "dangerous dog"

But if it's just barking on their own property then there is very little you can do. At least he is well contained, and unfortunately dogs do bark.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I don't think there is any legal responsibility. As long as the dog is fenced and not at large, it can't be a criminal matter. As an owner or occupier of a property, you don't owe any duty of care to people travelling past your home, regardless of their method of transport, so its difficult to see what other legal recourse would be available.
Old 22 May 17, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
That's a shame then. I've tried to make them see they would surely be morally responsible at least but they just don't care.
FlorayG is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Scully
Apprentice Imagineer

Scully's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Why not try a casual conversation - without the horse, and without shouting from the horse? (If you haven't already).

Perhaps they'll agree to put up a sign warning other horse riders?

1996, 2003, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, 2025
Scully is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

This dog if assessed could be a big softie too.

Its obviously being territorial and you are passing its territory.

The simplest solution would not to ride past the house.

Its their dog in their garden, fenced in so the authorities will do nothing.

Shame the owners didn't agree with you and make a small adjustment to the dog cant get to the fence near the road tho.

Our mutts a sweetheart and used to horses and cats, used to live on a farm - but if the horse or cat wasn't used to dogs they would freak out at her.

2024 Early Booker Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

You (not you personally, just in general) can't say a dog is dangerous just because it's barking in its own garden. dogs are very territorial and will bark to 'defend' their land. Doesn't mean they would attack though. You know the saying. The bark is always worse than the bite.

I doubt there's anything you can do I'm afraid.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I just think a responsible dog owner would at least try to correct the barking issue. But some people don't care. Surely an out of control spooked horse, could be a danger, to the rider and anyone near the horse.
If you can't take another route, I doubt the owners will change. Perhaps the dog is terrified of your horse.