tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Disneymoon with the Besties - Day 9 - Epcot, Le Cellier, Illuminations & MK

Pre-Trip Report

Day -1 - Sunday 21st May - Overnight stay at the Radisson, Manchester

Day 0 - Monday 22nd May - Travel Day and Arrival in NYC

Day 1 - Tuesday 23rd May - Brooklyn Bridge, Ground Zero, Statue of Liberty, Highline and Brooklyn Brewery

Day 2 - Wednesday 24th May - Central Park, Top of the Rock and Book of Mormon

Day 3 - Thursday 25th May - Grand Central and the Natural History Museum

Day 4 - Friday 26th May - NYC to MCO, arrival at Sapphire Falls and Cowfish

Day 5 - Saturday 27th May - Sapphire Falls, arrival of the besties and NBC Grill

Day 6 - Sunday 28th May - Universal Studios and Bahama Breeze

Day 7 - Monday 29th May - IOA, move to POR, House of Blues

Day 8 - Tuesday 30th May - MK, Narcoossee's and Happily Ever After

Day 9 - Wednesday 31st May - Epcot, Le Cellier, Illuminations and back to Magic Kingdom

We were all pretty tired from our long day at Magic Kingdom so we set off for Epcot at 9.30 the next day, arriving just after 10. We had much more luck with buses this day, getting one from the East Depot pretty much straightaway, and arriving at Epcot in no time at all.

However, my hopes that yesterday's ridiculously busy MK day was just a one off were dashed straightaway. Yet again, we faced huge queues on entering Epcot.

My phrase, 'I have never seen it this busy' seemed tired, but still truer than ever.

Epcot is a bigger park, so in truth, World Showcase didn't seem much busier than it usually is but the queues in Future World were still pretty horrific. My plan was to queue for Test Track and I had a FP for Soarin'. However, the queue for TT on arrival was 90 minutes, and 50 minutes single rider. Like, what?! So that was out of the question. I just said that we would carry on as normal and keep an eye on Test Track throughout the day.

So then it was over to the Land pavilion to try out the new Soarin' ride.

Again, the queue was ridiculous but we had our trusty FP! I really loved the new track on Soarin' and I was pleased that they have kept the same soundtrack. Looking back, I wish that we had gone on the middle top (like we did in 2014) but given the ride and the park was so busy , it didn't feel right to add to the queue by waiting for the seats that we wanted.

After Soarin', we wandered back over to do Mission: Space. Given Neil's problems with motion sickness on the trip so far, he decided to ride with Olly on Green, and me and Ben rode together on Orange. Again, I was the Engineer.

I really enjoyed riding this with Ben, and I loved seeing the look on his face when we did the cool bits of the ride, like the initial launch sequence and the moon slingshot. It really is so, so clever in its simulation!

We met Olly and Neil outside in the space arcade bit where Olly was kicking ass on one of the arcade rides haha! Then, by this time, it was 12.15pm (already!) so we decided to head over to do the World Showcase and of course, drinking around the world!

Olly and I did a brief toilet stop here, and we said we would meet the boys in Mexico. Neil declared that he knew where he was going. However, when Olly and I reached Mexico, he was heading onto Norway, looking puzzled. Turns out he had completely forgotten that the bulk of the pavilion was inside the temple.

I was really surprised (again) as to how busy it was. There was even a queue outside Cava Del Tequila! Now when we'd been previously, ie. When Neil and I had met my sister, Katie, and her boyfriend (now husband!), Jonathan to drink around the world in 2014, we had just strolled right in there, gone to the bar, got our drinks and sat down. But now, they were really stringent on separating 'bar' customers from 'sit down' customers. We got our drinks and then I asked if we could sit down but they were quite arsey with us. I explained that we were planning to order food (which we were). I guess it's because of the tip situation, but we had tipped the bartender... anyway! Not wishing to start a debate on tipping!

Anyway, as we were wearing our happily ever after badges, I think they let it slide and we sat down. I have to say, in our defence, there were no further massive queues for people wanting to sit down in Cava del Tequila!

Anyway, we tucked into some nachos and margaritas!

Ben and Olly were loving the Mexico pavilion – it really is so much fun drinking around the world!

I explained the countries we would be hitting that day and about the amazing Le Cellier for dinner.. I was so excited for Le Cellier – I couldn't wait to have that amazing steak! Even though I'd had a fantastic surf and turf the night before at Narcoossee's.

We skipped Norway and China and then headed for Germany. Beers in Germany in the sunshine...

We were seriously cooking by this point! It was absolutely boiling this day – I think it was about 36C. Ouch!

We were also chuffed to see some structures left up from the Flower and Garden Festival. This was Neil with his namesake!

After beers in Germany, my initial plan was to get takeaway pizzas from Via Napoli, as I know Katie had done this in 2014, but when we got there, the takeaway window was nowhere to be seen. I asked a CM and apparently, it was only open during peak seasons. How Memorial week in the height of summer is not classed as peak is beyond me!

We spotted another very impressive structure as we were leaving Italy.

Anyway, I suggested we try Liberty Inn instead.

I got the Red, White and Blue Salad

And there were a few more salads and burgers amidst this! We had to line our stomachs for drinks around the world, after all!
After dinner, we returned to Italy for more drinks...

I managed to find a table in the shade which was much appreciated by all. I remember texting my Dad at this point and making him mega jealous, sending him these pictures, while Neil got me a glass of wine!

We were loving Italy, and Olly and I sampled a fab Pinot, while the boys went for Peroni.

After Italy, we continued to head around the World Showcase, passing Japan and Morocco, before finally arriving in France. I was keeping an eye on Test Track wait times here, but given that it was so hot, I was a little worried that it would soon break for a shower..

Neil was desperate to show Ben the ESPN bar on the Boardwalk, so they headed for the IG while Olly and I had a break in France.

I really love Epcot. Not only because I get to drink a lot of my favourite alcoholic beverages, but because really, even though it's a big park day, you do a lot of chilling out. It was here that I remembered that given all the amazingness of HEA last night, I had totally forgotten that we hadn't done our FP for Splash! There was obviously no way we would have been able to go on it because it had rained pretty much non stop from 9pm until 10.30pm, and we wouldn't have been able to leave Main Street for fear that we would miss the fireworks.

However, I went on MDE, and while MK was still very busy, I shared with Olly that there was a FP available at 10.30pm (it was open till 1am that night). Olly grinned and told me to book it.

I hadn't park hopped in this way in a very long time (unless you count going back to a park for a meal and a show!). Nor had I ever needed to use EMH. But given that Olly and Ben were leaving on Saturday (it was Wednesday – and going way too quickly, I might add!) , we really needed to use that extra time!

We met the boys again at 4.30pm (our reservation for Le Cellier was at 6.10pm). Olly and Ben decided to give TT a try, leaving Neil and I to complete 'drinking around the world' at the UK. I had a Pimms, and Neil got a cider.

However, pretty much as soon as we got our drinks, the heavens opened. Knowing that if there's so much as a dark cloud, Test Track shuts, I was sad to realise that Ben and Olly wouldn't have a hope in hell at getting on Test Track.

Neil and I headed over to Le Cellier at 5.45 and checked in, waiting in the reception area while the rain continued to pour outside. This was quite fun actually, as the CM opened a Disney trivia question box and I totally cleaned up. Sorry kids, Tracey's here to ruin this fun time for you.

Olly and Ben arrived back on 6.10, after, unsurprisingly, a fruitless trip to Test Track. However, they had secured free FPs, as they had pretty much got on the ride before they closed it.
Right on time, we were called in, and to my amusement, we were sat at the same table we had sat at in 2014.

I ordered the Cheddar Cheese Soup (of course!) This was as gorgeous as ever. Tangy, cheesy... heaven.

And Neil got the Triple Cream Brie.

While Neil and I had no hesitation in ordering the Filet Mignon with a side of Truffle Fries which we didn't need but wanted...

Ben and Olly shared the Porterhouse Steak for Two, which was a work of art.

Given Olly is the world's tinest person, I don't think it would be an overestimation to say that Ben ate most of this steak.

We all got the Canadian Chocolate mousse to finish. Olly and Ben got theirs to go so they boxed them up and I put them in my bag. Eventually they made their way into our room fridge, stayed there a week and then we had to chuck them. Sad times.

Le Cellier came through for us, as did all of the Signatures! This meal was fantastic and the service was also exceptional as well. However, as Neil and I tried most of the Signatures on property in this week and the second week, I have to say that Le Cellier was in the lower echelons of the restaurants that we tried. And the steak is just spectacular. Our next trip is going to be so hard to plan! Too many restaurants, too little time!

Anyway, after dinner, we were at about 8pm so Olly and Ben made a mad dash to Test Track and Neil and I picked out the perfect spot to watch the fireworks.

Neil went to get us some soft drinks as we were feeling very sleepy from a massive meal and drinking all day in heat. And we'd shared with the boys our plans to move over to MK after Illuminations. Eeek!

TBC...

Edited at 05:10 PM.
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 17, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Cont...

Anyway, this was me, looking a little bit worse for wear, just pleasantly drunk, waiting for the fireworks.

You can probably tell, by the fact that I haven't written about it, that my anxiety didn't surface the entire time we were in Orlando. I find this quite funny as it can be quite stressful at times, especially given how ridiculously busy it was, and the fact that things hadn't quite gone to plan. But clearly my inner subconscious was really happy and at peace!

At literally 8.59pm, Olly and Ben found us and we watched Illuminations.

Cheat photo as mine were all rubbish!

I love Illuminations. The message behind the fireworks and the music is more important than ever these days. And given the downpour just before dinner, there weren't actually many people in the park which was very pleasant and made for an excellent view.

Olly in particular, really enjoyed Illuminations. She described HEA being more of a wow and being more magical and Disney, but Illuminations as really emotional. I think it's really interesting how people react to the different shows at Disney. I love them all but there are such subtle differences between them.

One of my favourites is World of Colour at California Adventure Park. Wonder if that will ever migrate over to Florida... hint hint Disney!
Anyway, after wiping away the tears Illuminations had left stained on our cheeks (just us girls, obvs, the boys are too manly!) we were off to Magic Kingdom!

Even though the queue looked really big, we got on the monorail in no time. MK is beautiful at night, it really is.

We were right on time for our FP for Splash Mountain.

I was absolutely thrilled that (a day later than planned), we were finally able to get on Splash. And it was as amazing as it always is. There's no question about it – Splash always makes me feel like I've arrived. I love the music, I love the characters, I just adore this ride.
I had to coach Olly through it a little bit, telling her where the dips are so she was ready. Soon enough, Brer Fox caught Brer Rabbit and we all know what that means. The boys behind us decided to coordinate their pose, and I just did it the way I know how...

It was Ben's first time on Splash and he made a point of saying to me that he understood now why I had got so upset the first day. Splash Mountain is a special ride. If there's ever a whiff of it going, expect me to chain myself to the Briar Patch.

Anyway, following Splash, we hit POTC, which was at a five minute wait.

POTC is really a disappointment for me these days. I pre-warned Ben and Olly that the ride wasn't up to the epic-ness of the franchise and that the ride preceded the films. It's classic Disney, it's true, but as I had been lucky enough to experience Shanghai Disneyland's POTC (see Youtube!), this was pitiful by comparison. Come on, Disney. Surely it can't take that much to replicate Shanghai's base plan? Right?

Following POTC, we decided to head over to Tomorrowland and do Buzz Lightyear. My score on this was absolutely pitiful!

Neil commented when we were leaving how much more beautifiul Tomorrowland is at night. I've got to agree. It really is.

(Another cheat photo as mine is terrible!)

Anyway, after this time, it suddenly hit me and Neil that we were totally knackered so we left Olly and Ben in MK and went back to POR. We got back around midnight. We didn't have a get-up time the next day as it was a much needed rest day. Four intense park days in a run and our feet and bodies were exhausted.

I was loving our holiday so far. The Signatures I'd selected had been on the money, and even though the parks were busy, we had had a great day, but more importantly, we had finally got on Splash Mountain!

Day 10 - Typhoon Lagoon and the Boathouse is here

Edited at 05:23 PM.
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 17, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Your energy really amazes me. After I finished reading about your dinner I was thinking 'what a lovely day', but it wasn't even over haha.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 17, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

That much alcohol I would have been in bed by 6pm.well done !
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 17, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Mobile

What a packed day, well done for hitting MK, that many day drinks I'd have needed a nap lol! Really enjoying reading along xx
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 17, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

What a fab day, from drinking around the world to finishing with Splash Mountain. Glad Ben and Olly got to do Test Track.
Old 7 Jul 17, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
rubberduckie89
Excited about Disney

rubberduckie89's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I feel the same as you about Splash Mountain! The trip doesn't feel complete unless you've done it at least once!