Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Jul 17, 07:00 AM  
Link to this Post
andyhen
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

andyhen's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile 3 generations at immigration question.

As I've still plenty of time before my jollies next summer and queries i have tend to be asked or talked about on here and think i know just about all i need to...

except...

there are six of us going to orlando next year. me and my partner who were last both in the states in 2015. my daughter (last time in the US 2008 and her partner who has never been transatlantic before) and my two grandkids who also have never been in the us before.

Now i do all the planning and booking and want to face immigration together as a group of six but when we get asked who has been since 2008 that splits us in two groups of three. I appreciate my DD will just stay with her partner and two kids when three of them get black crossed but is it ok to assume my and my GF can join them at the desk when they get sent to see a desk officer or will we be ushered through without them?
andyhen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 17, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. The crux here is living in the same household. I assume you dont all live together?
In that case you have 2 distinct parties and thus will fill in 2 seperate US Customs & Immigration forms.
However the Guys who direct you to the Immigration officers desk are really good and if you tell them you are 1 big family but don't live together they may send you up as one group - be directed by them.

They wont allow you to come back to the I.O's desk once you have been cleared for entry.

Personally I would just forge ahead with your Partner, use the machines and let the other party catch you up. That way you can hopefully start collecting the luggage.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 07:42 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 17, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
andyhen
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

andyhen's Reviews
Mobile

cheers tom... wasn't aware of the different address side of it.
andyhen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 17, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

I second what Tom said (he has obviously read the words on the top of the customs declaration form). Going through as 2 groups also means you can use 2 kiosks in parallel or see 2 different officers at the same time, which is marginally quicker than all crowding round one. They have lots of staff telling people where to go and where to stand - just follow their instructions. Minors are processed as a group with the parents. The baggage claim is immediately behind the officers' booths - just a few feet away - you'll probably be able to see each other through the glass, if one gets through more quickly.
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 17, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Jeff456
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Glad to see that the groups should be split by household, that means we will be 3 different groups rather than one group of six which is a relief to me as it would have taken much longer as a 6!
WDW- Feb 1999-AS Music, Oct 2000- AS Movies, Oct 2005- AKL, Oct 2006-Offsite, Feb 2008-AS Music, Aug 2010-POFQ, Aug 2012-OKW, Sep 2014 POFQ, Aug 2017 OKW, Aug 2023 POFQ, Jan 2024 - Dockside, April 2024 Villa, Sep 2024 OKW, Dec 2024 - AS Movies

DLP - Dec 2009, July 2011, July 2019, Sep 2019, November 2022
Jeff456 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 17, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

In my experience they mix it up a bit. It's certainly most commonly by household, sometimes they will want cohabiting boyfriend and girlfriend up separately if not married etc.

As Ian says, they will tell you what they want, and if it's not what you're expecting, just go with the flow.

In the past I've seen people moaning that the officers weren't smiling, and weren't polite. Their job is to protect their country, not to welcome you. It's not your job at this point to tell the officer they are doing it wrong, or to let them know it's pathetic if they pedantically make you fill something in again, your job is to get a stamp and be on your way. The officer could be as discourteous as they want with me, I'll apologise and do as I'm told. If I get the stamp, I win.

That said, there's no reason for them not to give me a stamp, and I've never had a bad experience yet in 14 years, and 10 trips.
Old 22 Jul 17, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazascouser
Apprentice Imagineer

Mazascouser's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Myself and daughter go through as at same address and mum has to go through by herself as at another addres. This has happened to us twice right pain as mum is a bit forgetful and has hearing problems last time the officer she had would not let me stand by her while she answered his questions. He eventually called be back to his desk and then asked me the same things. Not a nice experience.
Mazascouser is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 17, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
xcited
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Even the same household can get split, my mum who lives with us wasn't allowed to go through with us, she had to fill her own form, was a nightmare as she can hardly see, so I went to fill in her form for her and was told off. Then she had to go through to another bit to have her case searched, and we were ushered out of the airport, she came out about 45 minutes later. I was in a panic as she had no idea where we were staying, travel dates etc because I had organised everything. I found it quite stressful, but mum was fine, and the staff were very nice to her.
Old 22 Jul 17, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Granbran
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
I am taking my DGDs who obviously live at a different address but assume we will go through together. They are to young to go alone.
1991 Days Inn,1993/96/98 Flydrive,1994 Catalina Inn,2000 Lindfields,2003 Thousand Oaks, 2004/2006 Liki Tiki,2005 Cruise,2007/2008 Regal Palms,2010 High Grove,2011 Star Island, 2012 Marriots Cypress Harbour,2013 SSR/Sheraton Vistana,2015 Calabria,2016 India,2017Westgate/Cabana Bay,2017POFQ/WestgateTown,2018 India,2019 CBR&Westgate Town
Granbran is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List