Notices

Old 26 Jul 17, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
lumosq102
Excited about Disney

Talking Food, Wine & Halloween? A September / October PTR

Hello!

I have been meaning to write a trip report for the last few trips, but for one reason or another have never managed to do it. We’re going a little longer between trips these days (once a year instead of twice a year – yes, I know how lucky we have been ) so I thought this would be the best opportunity to extend the magic a little, and give me the opportunity to try and vent my excitement a little – heck, its just 57 days til I’m home! And by goodness it has been too long. It will have been 1 year, 3 months and 23 days since we left the Walt Disney World bubble.

Who
I travel with my best friend Kirsty, but we will call her R for ease, as we share the same first name. I’ll go by W.

Me – W (pink sweater), this will be my 10th trip to Walt Disney World. I was introduced to the magic by my dear best friend when we were looking for a cheap holiday (ahh – those were the days, 2 weeks for 2 people in a decent I Drive hotel for less than £700. I do miss that exchange rate…). Needless to say, 1 trip staying off site and visiting Universal more than the Disney parks turned into a bit of an obsession and now I’m a fully paid up member of the cult of Mickey. Favourite park is Magic Kingdom, I’m never happier than when I’m sitting on Main Street watching the parade, snapping away (a few of my photos can be found on Instagram here).

R – (purple Mickey shirt) my best friend and partner in crime in our fun packed trips. R grew up close to Disneyland in Anaheim so was inducted into the cult of Mickey early and firmly infected me with the pixie dust. Favourite park is Animal Kingdom, favourite ride is Everest. R is also the curator of our culinary adventures and many adventures in food are coming on this trip. This is her 11th trip to WDW.

Where
Since we became DVC members (yup, we really did drink that coolaid) we have tended to split stay depending on what is available when we decide to book, so hopping hotels has become the norm for us. This is what we are looking forward to this time:

Animal Kingdom weekend

We are starting our trip at a hotel we have yet to stay at – Animal Kingdom Lodge. We always enjoy visiting, so are really looking forward to finally staying here, especially since our first few days will be very Animal Kingdom heavy. Apparently we’ve got a lot of new things to do here

Portafino sojourn

Second hotel – Portafino Bay. 3 nights of fun at our favourite hotel in the Universal area. It is just blissful, a little oasis of calm (and utterly heavenly pillows) a short walk or boat ride away from the really not at all peaceful Universal Orlando Parks.

Returning to the bubble

Then finally, our last 10 nights will be spent in a studio at our home resort – the Grand Floridian Villas. This is my happy place, the bubble within the Walt Disney World Bubble, looking out onto Seven Seas Lagoon and the Magic Kingdom off in the distance. Heaven. We didn't manage to get a standard view this time, so our room will look out on to Seven Seas Lagoon. I think we will manage!

Now we just need to impatiently wait for the date to finally come around!

Edited at 09:46 PM.
lumosq102 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 17, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

DisneyDreamer81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Aah, what an amazing set of hotels!
2015 - Disneymoon! Caribbean Beach Resort & Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
2017 - Yacht Club & Disney Dream
DisneyDreamer81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 17, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
lumosq102
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer81 View Post
Aah, what an amazing set of hotels!
We're really excited
lumosq102 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 17, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
lumosq102
Excited about Disney

Today is out final fastpass day – yay! So to channel my excitement as I wait for noon to come round (so I can try and scramble for a Flight of Passage fastpass) I thought I would summarise our plans for the first few days of the trip.

Day 0 – travel day!

Now, who doesn’t love a travel day? Its one of my favourite things in other peoples trip reports. We’ll be waking up at a hotel in the airport before we fly off to MCO, arriving late afternoon. Depending on when we get to Animal Kingdom Lodge we’ll either head to Animal Kingdom to activate our annual passes have a little look around Pandora or we’ll go over to Disney Springs to activate our ap's and grab a quick service meal at one of the restaurants that have opened since we were last there (I’m thinking Blaze Pizza or maybe the bar of Homecomin’).

Day 1 – Making the most of the jet lag

Its going to be an early start as we make the most of the jet lag and start our Animal Kingdom weekend by going to… Extra Magic Hours at Magic Kingdom. Of course. I'm a Magic Kingdom girl, can't help it.

We’ll then spend the afternoon in Animal Kingdom, where we have fastpasses for Nemo, Everest and Kilimanjaro Safari before we head back to the hotel to freshen up and head over to Jiko for a late dinner (with 30% dining discount for AP holders / DVC members – thanks Disney!).

Day 2 – Its out of this world

Its time to tackle Pandora properly, with a full day in Animal Kingdom. Frustratingly we couldn’t get fastpasses for Flight of Passage so we will be taking the advice of easywdw and spending late afternoon in Pandora, the rest of the day exploring our old favourites, before heading back in to Pandora to enjoy the bioluminescence. We have a 3pm reservation at Tiffins with the Rivers of Light dining package so will fit in Rivers of Light into our evening too.

Day 3 – Into the movies

We’re checking out of Animal Kingdom Lodge (sob) and checking into Portafino Bay (yay!) today. We couldn’t leave AKL without finally trying Boma for breakfast so that’s where we will be starting out day with a bright and early 7.30am reservation. We have made a few fastpasses over at Animal Kingdom in case we want to get a few more rides in before we scarper over to Universal.

Universal Studios has Halloween Horror Nights so they will be closing early so we are thinking afternoon in Studios before we take the Hogwarts Express over to Islands of Adventure, doff our cap at the silence where duelling dragons once stood, then take advantage of Express Passes finally being usable on Forbidden Journey. Once the park is closed and we have had our fill its back to Portafino Bay for dinner at Sals, hopefully the weather will be kind and we will be able to enjoy a cocktail or 2 looking out over the water. Bliss.

Right, 22 minutes until fast pass time. wish me luck!
Old 6 Aug 17, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
lumosq102
Excited about Disney

46 days to go and the excitement is building. I’ve had a change of heart on one of my Halloween party costumes so I’ve been busily trying to pull together what I think will be a really fun costume rather than just go with the 2 costumes I took out for our last Halloween trip. That means firing up the sewing machine and trying to find long strings of sequins online… but we’re getting there.

What feels slightly scarier than just 46 days to go is that this translates to 6 weeks 5 days, or just 6 more weekends to go. Eek!

Day 4 – Pottering around

It will be another early start (for that’s just how we holiday – we can sleep on the plane home) as we dash over to Universal Studios for early entry, starting with Gringotts of course, and then a general mosey around the park hitting up all our usual favourites (The Mummy, Men in Black, Simpsons, Minions) heading out before lunch for a quick shopping trip. Fingers crossed we’ll make it back to the hotel in time for a quick swim before we head back into the parks for the evening & a return to the much loved Hogsmeade. Dinner will probably be at Cowfish (although their veggie sushi is dull in the extreme, R loves the food there and I love the cocktails so it all balances out…)

Day 5 – Tiki time

Another universal day. This is rather unusual for us, normally we’ll do an overnight trip & 2 days in the parks, but we fell in love with Portafino last trip so a little extended time here was warranted. Today we will be taking advantage of the UK Universal tickets currently coming with entrance to the new waterpark included by spending the morning at Volcano Bay. That water coaster looks too fun to resist. At the moment Universal hotel guests get access to the park an hour before it opens, that’s currently scheduled to end in early September but it keeps getting pushed back, fingers crossed it will be pushed back again and we can take advantage of this when we are there.

We’re not ones for water parks generally, so half a day should do us before we nip back to the hotel to freshen up and either hit the outlets or back into the parks for the afternoon. Dinner tonight will be at Maggiano’s at Point Orlando. Yummy.

Day 6 – Cinderella castle is calling me…

…but not before we spend a few more hours in Studios & Islands, taking advantage of those hotel express passes and early entry. With a little planning we have usually seen / ridden everything we want to see in Studios by 11am, hopping over to Islands on the Express for a last tour around the lake before we go back to the hotel, picking up our bags and calling a cab / Lyft / Uber to take us to the Grand Flo villas for check in at 4pm.

Once we’re in our happy place we’ll do a little speedy unpacking, sort the Garden Grocer order before we scurry over to the Magic Kingdom. Tonight will be our first opportunity to see Happily Ever After and we will not be missing that for the world.

We have fast passes from 4.30 onwards for Space Mountain, Peter Pan’s Flight and Big Thunder Mountain. At some stage there will be grumpiness over the lack of Splash Mountain (its down for the duration of our trip ☹). No dining booked today, we’ll have grabbed something at Citywalk for lunch and will probably snack in the Magic Kingdom – after all, ice cream is a perfectly sensible meal when you are on Holiday!

Old 7 Aug 17, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

I'm so gutted that Splash is closed for the whole of our trip. It's one of my favourites

Ice cream is acceptable for any meal when you're on holiday, that's just a cold, hard FACT!
DisneyDreamer81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 17, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
lumosq102
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer81 View Post
I'm so gutted that Splash is closed for the whole of our trip. It's one of my favourites

Ice cream is acceptable for any meal when you're on holiday, that's just a cold, hard FACT!
I know its just wrong. That's why we don't holiday in February anymore, we kept missing Splash. Its the hottest part of the year - I need my Splash Mountain!

Glad you're another believer in ice cream for all meals. Where else can we do this if not WDW?

I see you're only a couple of weeks away now - so exciting! Time seems to be speeding up over here, but speeding up to holiday is never a bad thing!
Old 28 Aug 17, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
lumosq102
Excited about Disney

It’s been a little while since I updated, clearly I’m a terrible PTR writer – hopefully I’ll do better with the TR!

One thing I don’t think I have pointed out is R & I’s differing approach to food – I’ve veggie & have been since just this side of forever. R is a lapsed veggie, these days an certified omnivore. We both love our food, so hopefully our dining choices will be vaguely helpful for veggies and carnivores alike.

The holiday prep continues, as we get ever closer to finally going home. I had a new lens arrive this week that I am hoping will help me get better pictures on safari – a nice big zoom lens for my Canon (it’s a Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM for anyone with any interest in such things) and thanks to part exchange from an old camera I picked up a refurbished one for just £26! Huzzah!

I’ve also almost finished my costumes for the 2 Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween parties we are going to. Almost. Just a little more quality time with the sewing machine and we will be away. It was supposed to be a bank holiday weekend activity, but crikey its been hot this weekend. Not weather for slaving over a hot sewing machine.

So, at just 24 days until we get back to the bubble, 23 days until we head down to the airport, it really is time to get this PTR moving forward…

Day 7 – Traveling the World

A week in and we are finally visiting the remaining 2 WDW parks. We’ll start with EMH at Epcot that morning before checking in to our first Food and Wine event of the holiday – a wine, cheese and chocolate seminar. Wine. Cheese. Chocolate. Could anything sound better than that?

We have a reservation at Flying Fish at 5.25, once again taking advantage of that lovely 30% discount for DVC members & AP holders. We moved the reservation from a little further into the holiday as the discount ends on 30 September and who can resist a nice big discount like that?

After dinner we will take a mosey over to Hollywood Studios for Star Wars fireworks then back to the hotel for an early night. Hopefully I won’t fall asleep on the way back to the resort – on our last trip I dropped off on the way back from Hollywood Studios and woke up to the bus singing along to Sweet Caroline. Most discombobulating.

Day 8 - A dinner here is never second best

Its EMH at Magic Kingdom today, so clearly we’ll be up with the sun and crossing the Lagoon nice and early to make 8am ropedrop. A personal best on one of these mornings was managing all mountains, including 7DMT, within the first hour of operation. Clearly that won’t be possible since Splash Mountain is out (yup, still grumpy about that) but we will be doing our usual mad dash around the Kingdom to get as many rides in as possible before the crowds descend on the park.

We will be finding a nice spot for the now 2pm showing of Festival of Fantasy before we head back over the lake to freshen up, pop on our glad rags for our reservation at Victoria and Albert’s. 10 courses of culinary wonder later with 10 impeccably matched wines we will take a little monorail journey over to stumble up to Top of the World lounge to watch Hallowishes. If we can move from the inevitable food comas.

Day 9 – New frontiers

My name is Kirsty W and I am a bad WDW fan. Why? In all my trips, this will be the first time I visit Fort Wilderness. Yes, I am shocked as you are. First trip to Fort Wilderness, that beautiful classic corner of WDW. I’m really looking forward to the visit, and have high hopes that our reservation at Trails End for brunch will help soak up the booze from the night before. We have a nice late reservation, giving us the opportunity to sleep it off a little. I’m hoping to visit the horses whilst we are there, then head over to Disney Springs for a little retail therapy and maybe hair of the dog – then on to Hollywood Studios!

We’re planning on seeing Fantasmic! tonight and have booked the new dessert party in the spirit of oh why not. We don’t tend to do the dessert parties, we have only done one before, way back when Star Wars Weekends we still a thing – generally because we just don’t eat a lot of desserts. But this one comes with cheese, booze and a designated seating area that I hope will work well for photos (I swear there are more reserved seating areas for Fantasmic! these days than there is general seating…). Then we will drag our hungover bodies back to the Villa for another early night – tomorrow is the reason why we booked a trip at this time of year. Not Halloween, but it will be the 1st of October and Epcot is celebrating its 35th birthday.

Day 10 - Happy Birthday Epcot!

As I mentioned, the Epcot anniversary is why we chose end September / beginning of October for our trip. The Disney fanclub, D23, is holding a couple of events today and we managed to get tickets for the daytime portion (the evening dinner sold out before the link went live and I am still a little sore about that, so we will swiftly move on). It looks like we will have presentations on Epcot’s past and Epcot’s future; my not so inner nerd is very excited about it.

Once we are done with the presentations we will make a swing by a few Food & Wine festival booths for dinner, the hop on a couple of classic rides – Spaceship Earth, Living With the Land, the Seas – as it really should be done on Epcot’s birthday. Then we have a fastpass for Illuminations viewing area, the cherry on the Sundae that is Epcot’s birthday.

Day 11 – back to the Kingdoms

Animal Kingdom has EMH this morning, so we will start bright and early with a trip over to Animal Kingdom where we have fast passes for Dinosaur, Flight of Passage and Expedition Everest. Hopefully we will have already managed to ride Flight of Passage earlier in the trip, but if not we will finally be flying on a banshee this morning.

It’s a flying visit in more ways than one, as we scarper over to Disney Springs (or, inevitably Downtown Disney Springs as my brain just hasn’t made the full conversion to the new name yet) for lunch at Homecomin’. Fried Chicken for R, an assortment of sides for me. Should be delicious.

Fingers crossed we will then have the time, and the weather, to spend some quality time at the resort pool before we head into Magic Kingdom for the evening.

Old 3 Sep 17, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
lumosq102
Excited about Disney

18 days. 18 days! That’s not much more than 2 WEEKS! Eeek. And we still have so much to do. I need to finish my Halloween costumes today, and cancel our Be Our Guest reservation (should anyone want a reservation for 2 people at 4pm on Friday 6th October shout – will happily coordinate cancelling it if it helps someone). Then we need to sort our cab to and from the airport, finalise our packing lists… feels like we are normally much more organised at this stage, but we do at least have 2 more weekends before we go to get things ship shape.

It has been fab seeing the Food and Wine reviews starting to come through too. This is our current list of things that we want to try – hopefully the list will be whittled further as the reviews come in, otherwise we are going to be bloated and broke! Yellow is for maybe, green for must try. Spelling errors authors own.

The menus look much more interesting than when we were last out for F&W (2015) – and so many more veggie options (desserts don’t count) than before too. We’re very happy foodies.

Day 12 – Sip n Stroll

We have another D23 (Disney fan club) event today that we are rather excited about. Sip n stroll is an annual event they put on for the Food & Wine Festival for members. Essentially, for $125 per person you get a $25 dollar Disney gift card to buy your choice of items from the booths, a couple of private food and wine seminars in the afternoon, preferred seating for the eat to the beat concert (we have one hit wonder American Authors
) then a dessert party at Isle de France – I’ve always wanted to watch Illuminations from there so I am super excited…

Day 13 – Dining with the Skippers

We may need a lie in by this point. Maybe. Or we may spend the morning at Animal Kingdom or our lovely resort pool before we head into Magic Kingdom in time for the 2pm parade (that’s going to take some getting used to). We have a reservation for a late lunch at Skippers Canteen followed by fast passes at SDMT, BTMT & SM (so hitting all of the available mountains) before we settle in for our last viewing of Happily Ever After this trip. Sob.

Magic Kingdom is open until 1am tonight, our latest opening of the trip (anyone else miss the days of 3am closings? Just me?) so we will be cluttering up the Magic Kingdom as long as possible before we head back over Seven Seas Lagoon and to bed.

Day 14 – Boo To You

Epcot opens at 8am today for EMH so we will be dragging our tired bodies over in good time for rope drop. Starting with the mad dash to Test Track, followed by Soarin I’m sure. Traditions… Then a little exploring and snacking & our first fast pass for Frozen Ever After before we have our 12:15 Mix It, Make It session at the festival centre, today’s focus is on Tiramisu. Yum!

We need to leave Epcot by about 2pm to get back to the hotel and change into our costumes for the first of our Mickey’s Not So Scary parties. The plan is to get to Magic Kingdom by 4pm, grab our trick or treat bags and first bags of candy before we get in line for a character. We’re watching how the parties play out, but we are thinking we’ll gather for either the Seven Dwarves or Moana. The other meet n great to think about lining up for is of course Jack & Sally, but this one isn’t on our priority list so we will be skipping.

The general plan for the evening will be characters, parades, fireworks, trick or treat trails… then maybe a few rides. We have tomorrow night to pick off anything we miss. We learned many years ago you can’t do it all in one night, we don’t normally cluster them so close together but it’s the only way we have been able to fit it in this trip. We would have preferred Sundays or Tuesday’s, but the Epcot celebrations & our Universal sojourn have eaten into that time this trip.

Day 15 – Everybody scream!

The time has come to say see you real soon to Animal Kingdom for this trip. Sob. We have fast passes for Flight of Passage, Dinosaur and Everest, hopefully filling in the spare time with Flights of Wonder, the trails and Kilimanjaro Safari before we head back to the resort mid afternoon to finish packing and change into our second set of costumes for MNSSHP.

This is where we were supposed to be dining with the Beast in Be our Guest, but this reservation has made its way to the cutting room floor. I just don’t love the food here, and neither does R. It feels like something you have to do, and we make a reservation every trip and then remember it is just not our cup of tea. Thankfully we remembered that this reservation is not a legal obligation before the food was put in front of us this time. It really is gorgeous in there, and I love meeting the Beast, but it’s just not worth it for us. We’ll likely grab lunch at Satuli Canteen instead and then snack through the evening.

Our plans for the evening will be a variation on the previous night – characters, fireworks, parades, candy, rides. As is usual for our last night in the Magic Kingdom R will be dragging me out of there at the last possible minute after our 10th viewing of the kiss goodnight plays to an empty Main Street USA. Sob.

Day 16 – Home is where the Magic Kingdom is

Oh, holiday – over so soon? Still, we have until 3pm before we have to leave the park and catch the tragical express back to MCO for the saddest of all monorail rides.

Where else would we be spending our last day? Do you even have to ask – Magic Kingdom all the way. It’s a holiday weekend so no doubt it will be busy busy busy, but we will be taking it slow, hitting up our favourite attractions and just soaking it all in before we have to head out. Lunch will probably be Columbia Harbour House, as is last day tradition. I’ll grab a baked potato from Sleepy Hollow Refreshments whilst R lines up in CHH for her lunch and a side of Veggie Chilli for me – honestly one of my favourite meals in MK and so filling! Not to mention cheap, the last time I was there both were under $4 each.

Thanks to Festival of Fantasy moving to 2pm we will be able to get in one last viewing before we exit the park and say see you real soon to my happy place.

Thankfully that is all to come! 16 nights in Orlando is just a couple of weeks away now so all of this is yet to come. I have no doubt our plans will change as we go, depending on weather, mood, flights of fancy… but this is a pretty good jumping off point I think.

Old 4 Sep 17, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

Glad to see someone else's list for Food & Wine is as long as ours!