Notices

Old 6 Aug 17, 03:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Ontario And Quebec 2017: Day 12 - To Montreal

Moving on day! We were up around 7, finished off the breakfast foods and then did the remaining packing!

J got bitten while packing up the car! Here's hoping that the rest of the holiday is relatively mozzie free! We did have to kill a few in the car - tissues are good as the extend the amount of reach you have

We left at 8.30am and headed south to Brockville then across to Montreal.

We stopped for the loo and some caffeine at a Tim Hortons!

We arrived in Laval where our next apartment was at about 1pm. As this visit to Montreal was a late addition to the schedule, finding somewhere to stay with parking and on the metro line that wasn't expensive was not easy. This apartment was new on airbnb so a bit of a risk. First impressions were not great...

We went off to find some lunch for F - a subway and came back at 2pm as arranged. Nobody came! I eventually had to switch on my phone and call. I was told to go to the front door where someone came down. He said the last people were late leaving and it would be another 15minutes. I was not amused!

Eventually we got in to find we were in another apartment - which was better as it was on the second floor. It is clean.

We left at about 3.30pm and got the metro into Montreal - about 25 minutes!

We are at the penultimate station on the orange line! But the trains are regular so it isn't an issue! We got a weekend ticket each - we may break even or just win on it but makes life easier!

O and I hadn't yet eaten so that was task 1! We used the tunnel system to get from the station to the food court! Much quicker as there are no traffic lights and at the weekend it is pretty quiet!

I had veggie sushi.

O had teriyaki salmon with rice and veggies. Both were nice and hit the spot!

We had a look round some shops - ending up in Indigo, the book shop! Whilst the kids looked J had a mocha banana smoothie whilst I just had water!

We ventured outside and ended up in the Hudson Bay department store to look at their luggage - we got our favourite Canada one from the Toronto branch.

The luggage section was on the 7th floor - we used the escalators! It seemed a long way and it got more and more deserted as we went up! They had new Canada ones but we decided against it! We used the elevators to go down - a quicker option

This is where we had a big fail!

F now needed feeding! As a T1D she likes her meals at regular times. We went back to the food court - it was 7pm and closed! Argg!

We took the tunnels to the station thinking the food court there would still be open! No - double argg! It was still early in our book!

Eventually, by sheer chance we stumbled across Copper Branch - a vegan fast food place that was open and had burgers!

We ordered 3 burgers (O said he wasn't hungry ... - never trust a 15 year old boy when he says that!) and some fries. We had to take them as take out as they were about to close!

We ate them in the metro station (O ate half of mine and about half if the fries! ) They were delicious!

We got the metro back and are now all in bed! Only 18,217 steps today - 12.60km ! Not bad for a day we half spent in the car!

Big day tomorrow - my boy turns 16 and he and his dad get to to go their first festival together!

Edited at 02:22 AM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 17, 04:31 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 6 Aug 17 4:31 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 17, 06:47 AM  
Link to this Post
daves13
Getting Excited

Mobile

Montreal is my favourite city I've been to, if I could speak French fluidly I'd love to immigrate there! 🇨🇦🇨🇦
daves13 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 17, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Not a bad transfer day. Food places closed by 7 is a bit odd! Hope the apartment meets your expectations.
Old 6 Aug 17, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
LuvPluto
Proud to wear my Ears

Happy birthday to O. Hope he enjoys the festival and you the shopping
LuvPluto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 17, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Shame about the eateries closing so early

Joan
Old 6 Aug 17, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daves13 View Post
Montreal is my favourite city I've been to, if I could speak French fluidly I'd love to immigrate there! 🇨🇦🇨🇦
I do speak French fluently (we live in France ) but there are times I don't understand at all!

We find in Montreal most speak English too but the more you go east the less is spoken!

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Not a bad transfer day. Food places closed by 7 is a bit odd! Hope the apartment meets your expectations.
I know - it was really strange!

The apartment is fine - we only paid 150 euros for the two nights. But the doors are so very squeaky - as is the floor!

Originally Posted by LuvPluto View Post
Happy birthday to O. Hope he enjoys the festival and you the shopping
I hope the day will be excellent - especially for O!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Shame about the eateries closing so early

Joan
It was a major fail - but the burgers were good in the end!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 17, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Pretty sure I won't be able to sell R.C on "vegan fast food"!

I'll stay tuned, though...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 17, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
Pretty sure I won't be able to sell R.C on "vegan fast food"!

I'll stay tuned, though...
The three burgers (we all had different ones) were lovely! Honest

By this stage I was just so happy to get F something she was happy to eat!

I saw a museum that made my think of Poot on my research as to what F and I could do today - Point-à-Calliére. It hadn't cme up on my radar before but it has the history of Montreal plus there is an Amozonia expo on at the minute too! I don't think we will go (F would prefer the waxwork museum! ) but it could be something I could do when I am in Montreal in February (hopefully! )

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Old 6 Aug 17, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
The three burgers (we all had different ones) were lovely! Honest

By this stage I was just so happy to get F something she was happy to eat!

I saw a museum that made my think of Poot on my research as to what F and I could do today - Point-à-Calliére. It hadn't cme up on my radar before but it has the history of Montreal plus there is an Amozonia expo on at the minute too! I don't think we will go (F would prefer the waxwork museum! ) but it could be something I could do when I am in Montreal in February (hopefully! )
I will research - thanks.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List