Notices

Old 16 Aug 17, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903
Disney Dreaming :)

Redrach1903's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
:) This time we REALLY ARE going to Nashville - updated 19th Aug

Hello again! So if you read my latest Orlando TR (which I promise to finish before we leave for Nashville), you'll know that trip originally started off as a twin city break. We wanted to do Nashville for 5 nights and then Orlando for 10 nights. However, due to the flight prices to Nashville being sky high we decided to just stick with Orlando (cos it's so cheap haha).

Anyway, this time we REALLY are going to Nashville and it is SO soon. This is literally the shortest countdown we've ever had. I'm still in shock that this is happening and not really sure how it happened, but it did!

Before I get into the whole story and plans, here's the cast:

Me, Rachael (32).

Hubby, Chris (31)

So a couple of weeks ago Chris and I were chatting over Whatsapp about a possible long weekend away. We discussed York, Amsterdam and London amongst other places, but we couldn’t decide. A few hours later the following exchange happened:

Chris - *beep*it, Florida in September for a week"
Me – "Lolololololol. A week isn’t enough"
Chris – "Don’t say I didn’t offer! We could go to MK every day" (hmmmmm this was tempting)

He then sent me a heap of quotes for staying onsite at POR, CBR, CSR and FW! The total price for a week was coming in at over £3,500. That is ridiculous money for a week away. I put my sensible hat on and said no, we weren’t doing Florida again and this year and definitely not for a week.

We then looked at Boston or New York. Flights were coming in reasonable, but the accommodation was so very expensive, so that got knocked on the head too and the conversation moved on to something else. A little while later I got this text:

Chris – "Or Nashville? Remember about that place?"
Me – "OMG Nashville! Yes"
Chris – "Let's do it, perfect for a week"

I went off and looked at flights and to my astonishment they were coming in at around the £400 each mark! I then got to work on looking for an apartment (we try not to do hotels. We like lots of space – snobs haha). I found an amazing one for a great price on airbnb. Now, I have never used airbnb before and was a bit wary, but once I read all the reviews I was happy that this place was a great find. It is a gorgeous place and worked out so much cheaper than staying in a hotel or suite! It is 10 blocks from Downtown Nashville which is about a mile, so totally walkable for us.

I then asked Chris if I could actually book:

Yeah, we like to communicate via GIFs

Before he could change his mind I was off like a rocket and firmed everything up! Chris's sister has recently started her own travel business, so I got her to book the flights for us and then I went onto airbnb to secure the apartment. DONE and DUSTED! I couldn’t believe it! We were actually going to Nashville! SQUEAL! I was in total shock that it had all unfolded so rapidly! In fact, I'm still in disbelief that in a little over 2 weeks we will be on our way! It will be so amazing to go somewhere completely new to both of us!

Here are all the important deeeeets:

Dates
31st August, returning 7th September. 7 whole days in Music City! Woo!

Flights
United Airways from Edinburgh via Newark. Unbelievably you currently cannot fly direct to Nashville from any UK airport! I see they have now announced a LHR route starting 2018 though! Our times are quite good as we arrive in Nashville at 5.30pm and don’t leave until 2.10pm when we fly back. The airport is only 8 miles from the apartment, so we will just order an Uber once we have collected our luggage Oh oh I nearly forgot! I was online looking at our seats and I noticed the price to upgrade to Premium Economy was pretty cheap compared to the likes of BA/Virgin. I sent Chris a text to tell him and he only went online and booked them! Woohoo!

Accommodation – Downtown Loft with Private Rooftop Terrace

Plans
I have booked a few things (old habits die hard) and they are as follows:
  • Nashville Walking Tour – this is on our first morning and I thought it would be a good way to get our bearings!
  • Madame Tussaud's Nashville – this is quite new and getting really good reviews. It takes you through all the eras of music from the 50s to now.
  • Grand Ole Opry – this is one of the things I am most looking forward to! I have always been a bit of a fan of country music, but since I started watching Nashville I have become somewhat obsessed with the country scene! The night we are going to The Opry the Charlie Daniel's Band (of Devil went down to Georgia fame) are playing! AMAZING! Devil went down to Georgia is a bit of a party piece for Chris and his best buddy Ewan, so we are SO hoping they play that! Would be amazing to see it live! There are some guest artists playing too, one of which is Jamie Lynn Spears (aka Britney's little sister)! There are still a few artists to be announced as well. I believe during the show you get to see 8 acts! I think it's going to be amazing. I have also booked the post show back stage tour

Other things we will do, but haven't booked include:
  • Backstage tour at The Ryman Auditorium (former home of Grand Ole Opry)
  • Nashville Zoo
  • Country Music Hall of Fame
  • Centennial Park and Parthenon Museum
  • Drink in lots of bars and watch lots of live music

We will also try and book a table at the famous Bluebird Café! Tickets go on sale a week in advance of each show, so I'll be poised and waiting to pounce as soon as soon as they are released. As much as I am dying to see it, I couldn't bring myself to queue for hours to get in and waste precious holiday time doing so! I had wanted to go to Open Mic Night on the Monday, but as that is Labor Day they are actually closed! Rude!

Speaking of Labor Day, there is a big festival going on all weekend at Public Square Park. This includes free concerts and I couldn’t believe it when I saw who is playing the Friday night – only Sheryl Crow! We will definitely be checking that out! How cool?!

Food & Drink
I haven't actually done that much research into places to eat believe it or not! I know that takes up a lot of the WDW planning, but it's all about the drinking in Nashville However, there are a few places we will definitely be visiting for grub!

Cheesecake Factory! This is near the Bluebird Café, so we'll tie those in on the same night.

Five Daughters Bakery. They do a Maple Bacon Donut that I simply must try. It has actual bacon on top. It may be repulsive, it may be magic! Who knows? I will find out and let y'all know!

Noshville. I only want to go here cos I think the name is funny! Hehe Also cos Deacon had breakfast there in season 3 of Nashville Chris does occasionally need to remind me that I probably won't bump into Deacon, Avery & co while we are there, but you never know, right?

Pancake Pantry. The name says it all, right? Apparently people queue to get in this place, but I'm hoping if we go there on our first morning we will be first in line cos we'll be awake super early

Martin's BBQ Joint. This place gets rave reviews and it'll be right up Chris's street. I feel like I may order a Redneck Taco, just cos its funny

Bars
SO MANY BARS. I have been re-watching Nashville and taking note of some of the bars that we should check out! There's an area called Honky Tonk Highway in Lower Broadway which is filled with bars that start playing live music from 10am! I fear for our livers during this trip Some of the bars I definitely want to go to include Alan Jackson's Good Time Bar, Rippy's, Tootsie's and Honky Tonk Central! Our friend Fiona (who visited Nashville last year) also wrote me a list of bar recommendations! Not sure we'll get through them all, but we'll give it a bash

So, I think that about covers everything!

Thanks for reading y'all

Edited at 12:59 PM.
Redrach1903 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Sounds AWESOME

We're thinking about Nashville next year as our country music love is growing rapidly (thanks also to the TV show and now Apple music ) and your report has me excited! Going to get hubby to read it too.

And no, it's not unreasonable to expect to bump into Deacon or Avery or Juliet or anyone else... although they are on the US leg of the tour in September so it may not happen!

Have a fabulous time - I'll be watching for any other updates before and def the trippie after!
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
OH EM GEEEEEEE!

How exciting to have such a short countdown! I have to agree that somewhere new for the week is a much better idea than Florida for a week. As much as we all love it, there are so many other places to see in the world aren't there?

The apartment looks amazing! Gotta love AirBnB. Definite bargains to be had.

Looking forward to the trippy already, aaaall the food & bars!
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Wow! This trip sounds amazing, you are so lucky.

I cant wait to follow along with your adventures! I managed 2 series of Nashville but then kinda lost it, the only good thing was Deacon, hes my older fella crush xx
Old 16 Aug 17, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
**Tracey**
Apprentice Imagineer

**Tracey**'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Sounds great. Looking forward to reading all about your holiday.
**Tracey** is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

Sounds fabulous and the apartment looks amazing! Have a fab time.
Old 16 Aug 17, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Eeeeeek I am so excited that this is happening! And so impressed with how quickly you turned it around!

The apartment looks just gorgeous, the perfect base for your week there. And all the food... oh my goodness my belly is rumbling just at the thought of it all! (and I would totally be trying one of those maple bacon donuts, they look amazing! )

I am keeping everything crossed that you bump into a least one member of the Nashville cast (if it was Avery I will be eternally jealous!)

Cannot wait to hear all about this adventure! xxx
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Can't see Roberts western world on your Broadway list? One of the best bands in Nashville plays there- the don Kelly band. Would also recommend that you look at who's playing at 3rd and lindsley, the Timejumpers play on a Monday, they get "stars" from the audience onto the stage - we saw mark wills on the Monday and again at the grand ole oprey the following night.
Oprey mills had some good bargains, Kate spade purse for around £20!

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
janewah
Getting Excited

This. Looks. AMAZING!

WDW: I-Drive - Aug 2008, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Sept 2013, Nov 2014 (engaged! ), Pop Century - Sept 2016, Sept 2018, Sept 2019, April 2022, April 2023, September 2024
NYC & California Honeymoon, Disneyland - Oct 2017
janewah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

OMG, I can't believe you're going to the Bluebird! Amazing! I wonder if it's exactly like on the show...

The apartment looks really nice. It all sounds like a fabulous trip, and so soon too. Your night at the Opry sounds amazing, looking forward to reading all about it

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List