Notices

Old 24 Aug 17, 02:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Timeout
Proud to wear my Ears

Five Go On a Culinary Caper - Day 11

We had a lazy start to the day today and headed to Hollywood Studios. We had a couple of goes on Toy Story Mania before stopping at Starbucks for some drinks.

Strawberry and cream frappucino

Java chip frappucino

We also visited Sweet Spells to get a couple of cheese danish and a gingerbread Mickey.

Not the most exciting of breakfasts but it kept us going. The cheese danish divided opinion, Mum liked it but I found it to be very rich and it tasted slightly metallic. Glad I've tried it but I won't be having another!

Youngest enjoyed the gingerbread Mickey though. 😊

We enjoyed our morning taking in some of the shows at Hollywood Studios. We stopped at lunchtime for a frozen Raspberry lemonade yum!

Our dinner this evening was at Homecoming at Disney Springs. Hubby and eldest returned from their trip to universal this afternoon and so we all made the trip to Disney Springs for dinner. Our adr was at 5.50pm and we aren't a little beforehand but we were seated immediately.

Our server came and explained a number of items on the menu and brought sodas and milk.

Hubby ordered a Jai alai

And I ordered a muleshine - white lightening moonshine, peach purée,lime juice and ginger beer.

This was lovely, like a Moscow mule only slightly sweeter

Starters
I had been a little worried about this restaurant as the menu was distinctly vegetarian unfriendly, but the server was great offering options and removing meat from them, many more options than I had thought would be the case.

Jasper Board - Assortment of pimento cheese, shaved country and tasso hams, smoked fish dip, bread and butter pickles, candied pecans and buttermilk crackers

Hubby loved this, only made a small dent in it though.

Bee Haven Bay Fried Green Tomatoes - remoulade sauce and dressed local greens

I loved these (always wanted to have some after watching the film! - shame it wasn't at the Whistle Stop Cafe &#128521 they were tasty and the remoulade sauce went with them perfectly.

Bunch of Puppies - House-made hushpuppies served with pimento cheese and red jalapeno jelly

Eldest had these but he did share! They were a slightly spicy hush puppy which I'd not had before but they tasted good. The pimento cheese with them was amazing. I'm glad I had the tomatoes though.

Tropical Shrimp Cocktail - Seasoned shrimp mixed with mango, avocado, sweet onion, herbs and house-made cocktail sauce. Served with buttermilk crackers

Mum said this was really interesting a great set of flavours layered together. She really liked it.

Mains

Art's Fabulous Fried Chicken - Chef Art Smith's signature dish! Buttermilk-brined for 24 hours then perfectly fried and served with creamy mashed potatoes, cheddar drop biscuit and love

Hubby and Mum both had this. Hubby enjoyed it more than Mum. Each serving was 3 pieces of chicken and mash, they both ended up leaving a fair bit.

Fried Chicken and Doughnuts - Two pieces of Chef Art Smith's famous fried chicken served with house-made sugar doughnuts and creamy mashed potatoes.

Eldest enjoyed this especially the Chicken. He managed quite a lot.

Kitchen Plate - Sample of three different house-made sides. Yum, yum and yummy.

I chose mac and cheese, cucumber salad and cheddar cheese biscuits

All three were yummy. The salad had a nice dressing which cut through the richness of the mac and cheese, this was real mac and cheese and very tasty.

Kids fish sticks, mash and veg

Youngest ate the mash but said the fish was spicy, he ended but eating some of the chicken from everyone else.

We were so full tonight that we decided to have dessert to go. They were happy to help and so we have returned home with our of each of the dessert items from the menu.

I'm afraid the photos were taken when we got home so it maybe doesn't look as good as it should.

Shine Cake - Chef Art's signature dessert. An adult-only butter cake soaked with moonshine syrup

Hummingbird Cake - The famous pineapple-banana cake with cream cheese frosting from Chef Art's bestselling cookbook, "Back to the Table

Auntie's Chocolate Cake - Aunt Evelyn's luscious chocolate cake with candied pecans

Doughnuts - freshly made mini sugar doughnuts

Hamilton County Chocolate Pecan Pie - a 100-year-old traditional Smith Family Farm recipe

This restaurant was really good, it was very busy but that didn't seem to be a problem. The food was really good and portions were very generous so items could easily be shared. Great for a single credit location.

Whilst Hubby and Eldest were at Universal they visited Toothsome Chocolate Emporium for lunch. They hadn't booked but were seated immediately.

Hubby had a Dogfish 90 minute IPA

Mains

Shrimp and Lump Crab Macaroni and Cheese- Fresh Garganelli Pasta, Fontina, Mornay Sauce

This was slightly spicy with plenty of crab meat, not really much like mac and cheese but good nonetheless.

Chicken Bercy- Boneless Breast, White Wine, Demi-Glaze, Lemon Juice, Shallots, Butter, Mushrooms, Fresh Herbs, Asparagus, Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes

This was good and the mash was fantastic, eldest enjoyed the whole thing

Dessert
Chocolate Brownie Bark Sundae- Chocolate Ice Cream, Chocolate Brownies, Chocolate Fresh Whipped Cream, Chocolate Sauce, Chocolate Brownie Bark, Chocolate Sprinkles

This was big enough for 3 to share, a rich chocolate lovers dream.

They liked Toothsome and Hubby said he would go back. They were visited by the proprietor during their meal who dropped her 'Mary Poppins' accent when she realised they were British and just chatted to them normally! A good experience meal.

Timeout is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 17, 03:03 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Timeout - 24 Aug 17 3:03 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 17, 05:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Some lovely looking food can't wait to try both of those restaurants 😊 Thank you
Old 24 Aug 17, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Really tasty looking food, just shows that there is definitely so much more than burgers and hotdogs on offer in and around the parks.
Old 24 Aug 17, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
More great looking food

Joan
Old 24 Aug 17, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Both meals look amazing x
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List