Notices

Old 27 Aug 17, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Timeout
Proud to wear my Ears

Five Go On a Culinary Caper - Day 14

We decided to get up early and try the go to Animal Kingdom for EMH this morning, with the hope of riding the Pandora rides. All I can say is it was a big mistake, we were at the park at opening and by the time we had walked to the Pandora area the line for flight of passage was at 4 hours. We promptly left the line and went on The Na'vi river journey instead. Mum decided to stay at OKW today and have a chill day.

Our breakfast reservation was at the Rainforest Cafe at 9.30am. The restaurant felt busy but when we were seated I realised that they were only using part of the seating, one whole section was completely empty. Our server quickly arrived and offered us coffee and milk/ juice for the kids. Eldest had a raspberry lemonade freeze.

We ordered:

Ozzie's Omelette - 3 egg omelette with breakfast potatoes and toast

I was able to add as many ingredients as I liked - I had cheese, onion, peppers and black olives.
This was ok, nothing amazing, it needed some seasoning.

Wild Waffle - With strawberries, bananas and maple syrup and a choice of bacon or sausage

Both of the kids had this, eldest ate pretty much everything, youngest wasn't so sure but ate Hubby's toast instead.

Cisco & Pancho - Flat iron steak with two eggs prepared your way, breakfast potatoes and toast

Couldn't believe that Hubby wanted steak for breakfast too! He said he was surprised us was as good as it was! Maybe not the level of steak he's had at other meals but then he didn't expect it to be. He enjoyed it.

Generally I felt that the breakfast wasn't anywhere near as good as the lunch we had at the start of the holiday. The changes they seem to have made for the better at lunch don't seem to have happened in the same way at breakfast. If you're going to use a table service credit at breakfast in Animal kingdom then personally I would go to Tusker House instead.

As we moved around the park today we had the odd drink

Night blossom and

Mo'ara High Country Ale

This evening we were traveling to the Wilderness Lodge for dinner at Artists Point. Once we had checked in we were seated immediately at a large table right by the window. If it hadn't been pouring with rain it would have been a lovely setting! As it was it enabled us to watch a sizeable storm complete with lots of lightning and overhead thunder claps.

Our server took the time to talk to us about why items are included on the menu and what the restaurant aimed to achieve. We were given water and we ordered sodas/ milk.
Hubby ordered a chimay blue

We ordered starters:

Artisanal Cheeses - handcrafted breads, seasonal accompaniments

These were the cheeses included

Eldest ordered this but I think everyone had shared some of it by the end of the course. It was the best cheese selection we've encountered yet. The blue cheese was amazing. It had lots of lovely accompaniments with it too.

Handcrafted Charcuterie - butcher's meat, marinated olives, mustards, preserves, lardo toast

This was the meat selection

Hubby really enjoyed this, particularly the rabbit, he was less keen on the pate. The portions were large and could easily be shared between a number of people.

Chilled Shrimp Cocktail - lemon, baby fennel, mustard, hearts of palm, dulse

Mum enjoyed this but preferred the shrimp cocktail she had at Citricos.

Land Greens Salad - seasonal fruit, seed granola, radish, goat milk cheese, seasonal vinaigrette

This was nice, the seasonal fruit was peach. The flavours were very subtle and got lost a bit in all the greens.

Mains

Wild Caught King Cedar Plank Salmon - filed potato, greens, capers, yogurt, lemon vinaigrette

Aged Buffalo Strip Loin - farro "risotto", root spinach, favas, radish, Vandouvan, jus

Hubby enjoyed this and would order again.

Buckwheat Agnolotti - petit eggplant, English peas, whey vinaigrette, ramp, mustard greens

The pasta was handmade at the restaurant and filled with rich cheese. It went really well with the vegetables as they cut through the richness.

Half Roast Chicken - tarbais beans, celery root, parsnips, carrots, petit kale, shaved turnip, jus

Eldest had this, you may have noticed he's had a lot of chicken recently but this was his least favourite. The vegetables with it were very hard.

Desserts

Chocolate Cremeux - pepita cloud, horchata, hibiscus

Hubby said this was nice, particularly the cloud (which looked a bit like cabbage!)

Cobbler - with Seasonal Berries and Black Raspberry ice Cream.

The ice-cream was really good, with a lovely flavour, the cobbler was nice sponge however I would have liked more fruit, generally it was a nice dessert.

Kids - artists pallet

Eldest asked to have this off the kids menu as he didn't fancy any of the adult desserts

Dinner tonight took nearly 3 hours and whilst I don't want to be rushed we waited over 45 minutes between finishing main courses and getting dessert. This felt too long and everyone was feeling like we had been forgotten and were a little fed up by the end. It's a shame because it could be a lovely restaurant but we weren't feeling it tonight.

Timeout is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 17, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Timeout - 27 Aug 17 1:41 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 17, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
That was a long wait between mains and pudding

Joan
Old 27 Aug 17, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Omg that cheeseboard looks amazing x
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 17, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Shame about the wait between courses, however, the food does look delicious.