Notices

Old 29 Aug 17, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Timeout
Proud to wear my Ears

Five Go On a Culinary Caper - Day 16

Again we had a reasonably slow start to the day and a few desserts from previous meals may have been nibbled on for breakfast.

Today we were visiting Hollywood Studios and we had a lunch reservation booked at Mama Melrose at 11.30.

We have eaten here before on numerous occasions and have always enjoyed it, this morning time we weren't using it for dinner packages though.

We were seated very quickly and ordered drinks.

Hubby order a moreti beer. We just had soda/ milk.

Our server took us through what we were entitled to on the dining plan and we ordered starters

Oak - Fired Mussels - Cooked in a cioppino broth with Grilled Onions and Herb Croutons

Hubby really enjoyed these he said the broth was really tasty with a nice amount of spice

Mama's Caesar Salad - with crisp romaine lettuce, creamy Goddess dressing and herb croutons

The lettuce had lots of dressing it was nice but not a particularly strong tasting dressing

Margherita Flatbread - Fresh Vine-Ripened Tomatoes, Mozzarella, House-made Marinara Sauce, Fresh Basil, drizzled with Extra Virgin Olive Oil

These were good, lots of taste and not too huge.

Mains

Vegetable Lasagna - layers of grilled vegetables and spinach ricotta topped with mozzarella

This was an interesting take on veg lasagna, which had spinach and ricotta layered with courgettes and mushroom. It was really tasty and more chunky than a typical veg lasagna.

Oven-baked Chicken alla Parmigiana - Breaded chicken breast with marinara sauce topped with melted mozzarella over spaghetti

Mum said she really enjoyed this

Spaghetti and Meatballs - with house-made marinara, garnished with Pecorino Romano Cheese and Parsley

Eldest had a good go at finishing this, he was eventually defeated but loved the dish.

Sustainable Fish of the Day - with spinach and ricotta-potato gnocchi, mushrooms, summer vegetables, and tomato beurre blanc sauce. Today's was Mahi mahi

Hubby said the gnocchi was fantastic and he really enjoyed the fish. This was lighter than a pasta meal and he ate everything, a rare occurrence.

Desserts

Traditional Cannoli - house-made creamy cannoli filling with a hint of citrus and dusted with cocoa powder

These were really yummy, no one managed to eat all three but they were really really good.

Cheesecake - no sugar added cheesecake with strawberry sauce topped with whipped cream

Eldest devoured this too!

A great lunch that everyone enjoyed, Hubby said he went with low expectations but came away pleasantly surprised by what we had had.

We spent the early part of the afternoon in the park and then made our way to the yacht club for our dinner at Yachtman Steakhouse.

Our adr was at 5.45 and we were seated immediately. I was given a birthday menu which they gave me to take away. Our server brought water whilst we looked at the menu.

Once we had ordered he brought the nicest bread we've had yet, onion brioche and sourdough rolls with butter and roasted garlic. Youngest absolutely loved the bread, particularly the brioche which fell apart where they were so fresh and warm.

Hubby and I also ordered some beer

Blueberry wheat for me

And St. Bernardus for him

Starters

This was really good, lovely flavour with the crouton giving something extra than just the soup.

Not sure about the dressing it was a bit strong but all the different tomatos were very interesting and tasted good

Hubby said this was well done. He really enjoyed the cucumber and wasabi ice cream that came with it. He enjoyed it.

Eldest struggled with the cheese tonight, he only liked two of the selections, which wouldn't normally be a problem as we all love cheese, however we all struggled with some of the flavours, particularly the sheeps milk one.

Kids - chicken noodle soup

Mains

Hubby's steak was enormous and he managed a fair amount. It was tender and full of flavour, the garlic aioli was very good with it too. The chips were very interesting, we decided they must have been cooked in vinegar some how.

Mum loved her steak, it really was very good. Although Le Cellier is still winning for her in the best steak competition!

Eldest enjoyed the Chicken again, and the rosti was very good but not what I would have expected for a rosti. It was more like mash which had been rolled into a ball and fried.

The pasta was very rich and I struggled to eat it. It's the second time I've had purple sweet potato since I've been here and I'm not totally sure about it, it's very sweet and that can sometimes overpower the rest of the meal.

Kids - pasta and meatballs

Desserts

Carrot Cake - Cheesecake Icing, Caramel Ice Cream, Walnuts; a no-sugar added dessert

Lime Semifreddo - Meringue, Guava, Blackberry

This was truly lovely. Tart and cold which melted in the mouth

Chocolate-Peanut Cake - Pretzels, Salted Caramel Gelato

Hubby described it as a smooth snickers bar.

The Yachtsman Sundae - Trio of Gelato and Amarena Cherries

Kids chocolate puzzle

I also have given this mini dessert for my birthday. It tasted wonderful.

This was a nice meal, it didn't seem as refined as some of the other signature restaurants but the food was still pretty amazing. I think we all did pretty well here. I do think the server was pretty disappointed when I asked for the vegetarian option in a Steak restaurant, he followed it up with whether I would like chicken or fish, I politely declined but I think he was somewhat disappointed.

If you're a steak person then this is definitely a great meal to have

Timeout is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 17, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Timeout - 29 Aug 17 12:25 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 17, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Some great food

Joan
Old 29 Aug 17, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
You really have had some lovely meals! I do fancy the Yachtsman's steak, but I have an idea that I'd find the restaurant a little in the stuffy side, if you know what I mean

Again, have to say, really enjoying your report!
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 17, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Amazing food,but can't read fava beans without mentally doing a Hannibal lecter impersonation 😳😳😳
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 17, 03:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Timeout
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Some great food

Joan
Thanks x
Timeout is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 17, 03:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Timeout
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Leia77 View Post
You really have had some lovely meals! I do fancy the Yachtsman's steak, but I have an idea that I'd find the restaurant a little in the stuffy side, if you know what I mean

Again, have to say, really enjoying your report!
I feel like we've generally done really well, we've had some amazing single credit meals which is always good news.

TBH I went to the Yachtsman for hubby, you may have noticed he likes the odd steak! It did feel a bit stuffy unlike Citricos which I thought would be but didn't feel like that at all.
Saying that we had a really noisy family on the table next to us last night, the fathers language got so bad by the end of our meal we decided to leave. I don't want to have to explain to my 5 year old what he was saying. He obviously didn't find it stuffy!

Thanks for sticking with me only a few more days to go, but we are doing food and wine festival on Thursday! X
Old 30 Aug 17, 03:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Timeout
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Floridaagogo View Post
Amazing food,but can't read fava beans without mentally doing a Hannibal lecter impersonation 😳😳😳
We did exactly the same! And suggested a nice bottle of chianti was required! 😉
Old 30 Aug 17, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

More amazing food, so delicious looking.