Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 13 Sep 17, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

All Villa No Filler - Day 6: Denny's, Epcot, and a mini-Dibb meet!

The Index

Thursday 27th July 2017

Even though she didn’t need to, Isabella was up at 7:15am. I tried to convince her to go back to sleep as none of us wanted to be up that early, but by 7:45am she was awake again, so I had to let her get up.

Kimberly was jet lagged and still sleeping, so I got up and made tea for Jo and I, which we had in bed. Despite our well documented, multiple trips to Publix, we’d neglected to buy more tea bags, so ended up using some of the American Teabags that came in the welcome pack. They were not to our taste, and we resolved to make another stop at Publix as soon as we could to get new ones!

After some coffee and toast, Isabella read while I caught up on my notes. At about 10am it was time to get Isabella practised her swimming in the pool, so we got ready and went outside.

Reading

At about 11am Kimberly was awake. She came and sat poolside for a bit before heading back inside to make a work call; leaving us to spend a little while while longer in the pool.

Eventually it was time to go back inside, shower and get ready for brunch/lunch at Denny’s. Once ready, Isabella did her trip report and I made some more notes while Kimberly finished her call.

Pool fun

View from the pool

Writing her trip report

Once she was done we headed to the Denny’s at Town Center Boulevard, Clermont which is just off the 192 opposite next to the Summer Bay Resort.

It was about 12:45pm when we arrived but even though it was lunchtime we all opted for breakfast food, ordering the following:
  • Me: Grand Slam Slugger - Two buttermilk pancakes, two sunny side up eggs, two bacon strips, two sausage links, and hash browns.
  • Jo: All-American Slam - Three scrambled eggs with Cheddar cheese, two bacon strips and two sausage links, hash browns, and two English muffins
  • Isabella: Jr. Birthday Cake Pancake Breakfast - Three buttermilk silver dollar pancakes filled with confetti sprinkles and topped with vanilla cream and more confetti sprinkles, one bacon strip, one sausage link, and one egg.
  • Kimberly: Build Your Own Grand Slam - Two sunny side up eggs, two bacon strips, hash browns, and two gluten-free English muffins.

Parking: nailed it

Browsing the menu

Deep in concentration

Grand Slam Slugger

All-American Slam

Jr. Birthday Cake Pancake Breakfast

Build Your Own Grand Slam

Muffins

It was busy in Denny’s, and it was hot. The food was ok, but the service wasn’t; despite asking for extra cutlery (Kimberly didn’t have any) the server didn’t bring any, then when we asked for extra milk for our coffee she forgot, and when the food came out both lots of muffins didn’t show up until five minutes later.

We finished up, and decided not to return to this Denny’s. In fact, on our last holiday we weren’t impressed with (a different) Denny’s, so won’t be going back in a hurry. Of course this means we need a new off-site breakfast location, more on this in day 11….

On the way back from Denny’s to the villa we made our first petrol stop of the holiday. As per usual there was some element of this task that was confusing - in this case it was trying to unlock the petrol cap! Whilst Jo, Kimberly, Isabella sat in the hot car on the hot forecourt (with the doors open) I searched for some way to unlock it. The problem was eventually solved when Kimberly Googled it! The solution was simple: push it!

Problem solved, the rest was actually straightforward, and we left the petrol garage $15 lighter, and half a tank fuller.

About 2:30pm we arrived back at the villa, meaning we had just over an hour until we headed off to our historic meeting with the Gents (aka Soph aka Dibber Mouse mess and family). Ironically, I had a touch of the Yak & Yetis (if you’ve read Soph’s trip reports you’ll know what I mean!) but fortunately we had some Imodium with us, and I was right as rain after taking one of those; another reason to give Denny’s a miss next time!

A rare selfie

Talking of rain, as we left at about 3:45pm there was a mid-afternoon Florida shower but it passed quickly, and we were soon on our way to Epcot.

Parking in the ‘Create’ lot at about 4:15pm, we jumped on a tram to the entrance where Kimberly bought a one day ticket for $113. Jo asked if there were any discounts for Annual Passholders - there were not. Annoyingly, just two weeks later Disney launched a ‘Bring-a-Friend offer’ which ran from 11th August until 30th September enabling passholders to purchase a 1-Day Magic Your Way Park Hopper ticket for just $79 plus tax!

Kimberly with her pass

Jo & Kimberly

Inside the park we saw that Spaceship Earth had no queue so went inside and Kimberly got to experience her first ride of her short trip, and the first Walt Disney World ride she’s been on since she was about 12 years old - you’ll have to guess how many years ago that was as I cannot possibly reveal a lady’s age (Jo doesn’t count, not because she isn’t a lady but because she has no choice )

On the ride, Jo sat with Kimberly, and I sat with Isabella. Unfortunately Isabella’s face didn’t get captured so I ended up sharing my story with a woman with blue hair, while Jo and Kimberly apparently went into space.

Me and my new friend

Jo and Kimberly off into space

Next stop, after a quick pressed penny purchase for Isabella, was Club Cool. Obviously we talked Kimberly into trying Beverly, and she really enjoyed it…. er, not!

It was now time to introduce Kimberly to the world of FastPass+. Jo took her to one of the kiosks and managed to get her a FastPass for Soarin’ later this evening. Jo then went on the MyDisneyExperience app and managed to get the three of us FastPasses for Soarin’ too (this involved cancelling FastPasses for one of the upcoming days as Annual Passholders aren’t allowed more than seven days of FastPasses).

Pressing pennies

With our Soarin’ FastPasses secured we made our way over to the Land pavilion. I went and parked the stroller while the others went inside. Kimberly wanted a snack, so we made our way down to Sunshine Seasons, passing a slightly random procession consisting of children and CMs banging various percussion instruments and carrying a banner - no idea what it was all about but it was pretty loud and annoying!

Kimberly ended up with fudge brownie and a Smart water, and after a quick refuel we were soon Living with the Land. We always enjoy this ride, although can’t help thinking that the photos of all those people from around the world could do with an update - I bet half the people in those photos are dead by now!

Kimberly meets Beverly

It's ok, it's not Beverly

FastPassing

Random procession thing

Living with the Land

These two signs are like rock band names

It was now time to head round to World Showcase. Jo had been keeping in touch with Soph throughout the evening and it appeared that they were having some issues over at Disney Springs but would soon be on their way and were aiming to meet us at about 7pm. As it was about 6pm we had some time to wander round the World Showcase, so that’s what we did, buying Isabella a Little Mermaid bubble machine on the way.

Coming soon...

Epcot selfie

"Alcohol is that way..."

This bird is off to the World Showcase too...

Edited at 10:18 PM.
Stewboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 17, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

First stop was Canada where Jo and Kimberly got drinks from the ‘Popcorn in Canada’ cart. Jo got the Ottawa Apple (Crown Royal Maple Whiskey, Apple Infusion, and Cranberry Juice) for $10.75, and Kimberly went for the Montreal 75 (Dillon's Craft Gin #22 with Neige Sparkling Wine blended with Peach Puree and fresh Lime Juice) which was $12.00.

The ladies had their drinks (they were ok, mostly ice though), so we continued round the World Showcase, taking a stroll round the gardens in the UK pavilion before heading into France.

Happy ladies

Browsing the gardens

Isabella was getting hungry, and as we were in France we went to Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie where she had one of her favourite foods: Quiche Lorraine. We managed to find a seat for her to sit down and eat; the quiche looked really good, and she enjoyed it.

Isabella and her quiche

Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie

Once she was finished, we decided that the rest of us should eat before the Gents arrived. Moving onto Morocco we made our way to the Tangierine Cafe - somewhere that we always enjoy eating. Between the three of us we shared a Shawarma Chicken and Lamb Platter which is served with a side of Hummus, Tabouleh, and Tangierine Couscous Salad with fresh Moroccan Bread. We were not disappointed - it tasted very good.

The time was now just gone 7pm, and Soph and her family were in the park and making their way round to the World Showcase. While we waited for them, we all decided to have a little spray of mosquito repellent. Jo was a little too liberal with her spraying, and ended up with it in her mouth!

Morocco

Mosquito repellent tastes worse than Beverly!

At 7:20pm we could see the Gents approaching, they had finally arrived! After introductions we began chatting away like we’d been friends for years, which is true I suppose, we’d just never met in person; Soph’s well documented “stranger danger” was nowhere to be seen.

We had a vague plan to get drinks as we walked round the World Showcase, go off and do our Soarin’ FastPass (they also had a FastPass for Test Track around the same time), and then reconvene to watch Illuminations.

Isabella wanted to open her Little Mermaid Bubble Machine. This simple task took four Dibbers at least five minutes to achieve! Eventually she had the power to make bubbles and we continued on our way.

Japan was next. We all headed inside the Mitsukoshi Department Store; Jo and Kimberly, and David and Noah went off to browse, while Soph, Isabella & Emmie and I went to the Kidcot Fun Stop where Emmie and Isabella sat and coloured in a Duffy.

Jo and Kimberly went to watch the Pick a Pearl, Jo said it was fun and crazy; altogether now, after 3….
“San... Ni... Ichiiiiiiiiiii!”.

Once everyone regrouped, we were ready to move on to America. Once again the talk turned to getting a drink, so I decided to stop at Block & Hans to get a beer. The CMs were really friendly, and we chatted briefly about London.

With my Honor IPA in hand, I caught up with the rest of the gang outside the American Gardens Theatre, where Isabella and Emmie were sitting together watching whoever it was that was onstage.

Here come the Gents!

Isabella and Emmie

Our hour with Soph, David, Noah, and Emmie had flown by, and now we all needed to get over to Future World for our FastPasses.

As we reached the Fountain of Nations we decided to get a group photo to capture the moment. After some milling around around we chose to stop the person who was in the biggest rush to get out of the park to ask him if he would take the photo. To be fair to him, he did a good job, so thank you, whoever you are.

Kimberly, the Sears, and the Gents

We said a temporary goodbye to the Gents, and headed to the Land Pavilion. Once inside we headed straight to Soarin’. Kimberly was feeling a little nervous about this ride as she didn’t know what to expect, but we reassured her that she would be fine.

Jo requested Row 1, which meant we got Concourse B as Concourse A and C were already filling up. Row 1, Concourse B is the best place to sit to get the best experience as you’re right in the middle of the screen, and there’s no feet dangling in view. Fortunately we were right, and Kimberly loved Soarin’.

Off the ride, it was almost 9pm, and Illuminations was starting imminently. We rushed through Future World, reaching the bridge to World Showcase just as the fireworks started. Once again the Gents had got delayed, this time on Test Track, so they ended up missing the fireworks.

Towards the end of the show (it wasn’t even the end, there was at least 5 minutes left) the surge to the exit began - being on the bridge is not the best place to be once that human traffic is bearing down on you!

Illuminations

Once the fireworks were over, the Gents found us, and we wandered back towards the exit. By now, it was too late for any drinks, and also for any food. The sharing platter from Morocco was nowhere near enough so we were contemplating what to eat.

We reached the exit, and after temporarily losing David and Kimberly (they were deep in conversation) in the mass of people, it was time to leave.

Wandering back towards our cars, discussions were had about David and Soph heading down to London one day to join the Sears and the Hardings for a night of drinks and fun! That’s something that I really do hope happens as the Gents are lovely people, and we thoroughly enjoyed the short time we spent with them.

I must also add that Noah and Emmie were also amazingly polite and well behaved, and Isabella and Emmie got on very well too.

Once goodbye, hugs, and kisses were exchanged, we found the car and started on the drive home. After some further “what to eat for dinner” discussion, we settled on getting Domino’s Pizza delivered.

Kimberly rang them up and ordered a large Hawaiian Deluxe and a small BBQ Chicken on a Gluten free base.

We were back at the villa at about 10:20pm; Isabella went straight to bed and we waited for our pizza. It arrived half an hour later, delivered by a slightly annoyed delivery driver, muttering something about a Californian phone number (Kimberly’s mobile), and an entry gate. As he’d found us within the delivery slot we’d been given, I couldn’t really see what the problem was!

Anyway, we had our pizza (it was delicious) and then it was midnight - time for bed.

Another fun day. We were so happy Kimberly was here to enjoy it with us too.

Isabella's TR day 6

Tomorrow: Breakfast with Rapunzel & Ariel, Dinner at Disney Springs
Old 14 Sep 17, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Grapesoda
Apprentice Imagineer

Another fab day!

Sophie, where's your trip report for this holiday?!

DLP Jan 2014 ~ Sante Fe
DLP Jan 2015 ~ Cheyenne
Pretrip report Here
Report in progress Here
Food Report ~ Here
Grapesoda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 17, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

All breakfasts sound fab, especially Isabella's, a shame about the service.

A nicely paced day, especially considering you had a newbie on board.

How lovely for you to meet the Gents after all these years, it must have been a bit surreal.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 17, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another good day nice to meet more friends

Joan
Old 14 Sep 17, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Nailed the parking... 😆😆😆😆😆
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 17, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Zomax25
VIP Dibber

How lovely to meet up with friends in Orlando! Another lovely day. Thanks for sharing.
Zomax25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 17, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Jannyjan
Proud to wear my Ears

That Dennys is the worst ever, we went one evening and the staff had a full on shouting match and then stormed out. Dinner and a show! Bob Evans is way better
Jannyjan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 17, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Grapesoda View Post
Another fab day!

Sophie, where's your trip report for this holiday?!
Yeah, c'mon Soph!

TFR

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
All breakfasts sound fab, especially Isabella's, a shame about the service.

A nicely paced day, especially considering you had a newbie on board.

How lovely for you to meet the Gents after all these years, it must have been a bit surreal.
It was a little surreal. They were so lovely though, it was like we'd know them in real life forever!

TFR

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another good day nice to meet more friends

Joan
Thanks Joan

Originally Posted by Floridaagogo View Post
Nailed the parking... 😆😆😆😆😆

TFR

Originally Posted by Zomax25 View Post
How lovely to meet up with friends in Orlando! Another lovely day. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for reading. Meeting Dibbers at Disney is becoming a bit of a thing.

SPOILER ALERT

The next two trips may feature some special guest appearances!

Watch this space

TFR

Originally Posted by Jannyjan View Post
That Dennys is the worst ever, we went one evening and the staff had a full on shouting match and then stormed out. Dinner and a show! Bob Evans is way better
I think it's IHOP for us from now on!

TFR
Old 24 Sep 17, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Milner
Imagineer

Fantastic day.
Hampton Lakes - October 2007, The Hamlets, Westhaven - July/August 2009, The Sanctuary, Westhaven - July/August 2012, Dibb Villa Highgate Park & 1 night at HRH - July 2015 2017 6 nights NY, 11 nights in Florida Dibb villa, Westhaven, Xmas 2018 Villa 1 night RPR 2019 7 nights in New York, 2020 Dibb Villa booked in Highlands, 3 nights in Cape Coral
Milner is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List