Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 16 Sep 17, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

All Villa No Filler - Day 7: Bon Voyage Breakfast, Christmas in July, and Homecomin’

The Index

Friday 28th July 2017

This morning we had a very special breakfast planned, we had a 10am reservation for the Bon Voyage Adventure breakfast at Trattoria al Forno. Kimberly decided to stay at the villa and carry on sleeping, so it would be just me, Jo and Isabella dining with Ariel, Prince Eric, Rapunzel, and Flynn Rider.

It was about 9:15am when we left, and we arrived at the BoardWalk at about 9:50am. After parking up we made our way to the BoardWalk Inn, and walked out onto the BoardWalk.

BoardWalk

Minnie Van at the BoardWalk

To the BoardWalk...

Inside the BoardWalk Inn

We checked in at Trattoria al Forno, and waited for about 5 minutes before being seated. We had been here once before when it was still Kouzzina, way back when Isabella was still a baby, and we had really enjoyed it. We were hoping that it’s replacement was as good.

In the waiting area is a very handy shop where you can buy last minute, probably very expensive, princess dresses and accessories. Disney really take of us parents don’t they…

Trattoria al Forno

Eventually we were seated and then something unusual happened. The server offered us a drink, but instead of going through the list of free drinks (coffee, juice, milk etc.) she reeled off all the drinks that we have to pay for (latte, cappuccino etc.). I know they like to upsell, but if we’d been Disney dining virgins we could’ve fallen for it! Not that I want to sound tight or anything (this breakfast ain’t cheap), but it felt like she was trying to trick us, which isn’t cool. As it was, we just wanted a normal coffee anyway.

Ready for some autographs

For our breakfast we ordered the following:
  • Me: King Triton's Shipwreck al Forno (Calzone with Soppressata, Bacon, Sausage, Blend of Cheeses, and Sunday Gravy)
  • Jo: Two-Eggs Poached Underwater (House-made Fennel Sausage, Sunday Gravy, and Parmesan Cheese over Golden Polenta with Toasted Focaccia)
  • Isabella: Character Waffle with Sausage and fresh fruit

Within a few minutes of ordering the pastries came out. They looked really good, and were presented in a frying pan a la Tangled. They tasted as good as they looked, especially the chocolate twist.

Tasty pastries

Along with eating pastries, Isabella had an Adventure Sheet to fill in; her adventurer name was “Isavencher” [sic]. After she’d filled that in she decided to a drawing of Rapunzel and Ariel.

Isabella and her adventure sheet

Soon our Fruit Salad starters appeared, and they were really tasty; they also came with a little plastic sword to eat with.

Fruit Salad

As we waited for our main course, Flynn Ryder and Rapunzel appeared to the “I’ve got a dream” song from Tangled. They both stopped briefly to chat; Rapunzel liked Jo’s floating lanterns top, and Flynn made a comment to her about me being “her dream”.

Five minutes after our main course arrived Flynn returned. He sat down next to me to sign Isabella’s autograph book, and talked to her. He was a good character, he was very funny and had a lot of personality. We got some photos of him, and then he moved on to the next table.

King Triton's Shipwreck al Forno

Character Waffle

Two-Eggs Poached Underwater

Flynn Ryder

Before Rapunzel arrived there was a little procession around the restaurant that Isabella took part in, it involved music and all the kids shaking maracas - I can’t remember why!

After that was done, Rapunzel stopped by to sign Isabella’s book, and pose for photographs, and she also signed the drawing that Isabella had now finished of Ariel and Rapunzel.

Rapunzel

Next up was Prince Eric (who enquired as to what Jo did with her dinglehopper), followed closely by Ariel. Once we’d gotten signatures and photos with them both, it was time to leave.

Prince Eric

Ariel

Isabella's drawing signed by Ariel & Rapunzel

It was a thoroughly enjoyable breakfast; the food was really good, the characters were fun, and it’s a nice restaurant. All told it cost $84.35 including a 10% Annual Passholder discount but not the tip.

It was about 11:20am when we headed back out onto the BoardWalk to make our way back through the BoardWalk Inn and over to the car.

As we drove back to the villa you won’t be surprised to hear that we stopped at Publix at Champions Gate to pick up a few bits including coffee, water, tea, and tortilla chips. The total was $54.28.

Edited at 11:43 PM.
Stewboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 17, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Once we were back at the villa Isabella was keen to get back in the pool, so while Jo caught up with Kimberly in the lounge, I took her outside. We made a couple of new friends while we were out there - two grasshoppers that we called Grace and Graham!

Ready for the pool

Eventually, Jo and Kimberly got their swimsuits on and came out too to enjoy the pool and the sunshine too.

About 2 hours after Isabella and I first went out to the pool - about 3:30pm - it was time for us all to go and get ready for dinner.

Tonight we were off to Disney Springs to visit Chef Art Smith’s Homecomin’. This had been a long time coming as we’d originally booked it on the previous holiday but changed the ADR to Frontera Cocina instead, so we were excited about finally visiting, especially after hearing and reading such good things about it online.

We left the villa and drove to Disney Springs, once again parking in the orange parking garage. Despite it being a Friday, Disney Springs wasn’t as busy as expected.

Oranges

We walked over to Homecomin’, checked in about 5:15pm, and were seated straightaway. First up was drinks: Jo ordered a Fig and Berries cocktail (Fresh muddled strawberries with Dobel Diamante Reposado Tequila, fig jam, agave and lime juice; it was just OK), and I got a Cigar City Jai Alai on draft. Kimberly decided to stick with a regular coke.

Homecomin'

"...and another thing"

Jo with her Fig and Berries cocktail

Cheers!

For food, we ordered some amazing deviled eggs to start and share, and then for mains we ordered:
  • Me: Art's Famous Fried Chicken (Buttermilk-brined for 24 hours then perfectly fried and served with creamy mashed potatoes, and cheddar drop biscuits)
  • Jo: Thigh High Chicken Biscuits (an appetiser: Three biscuits topped with Chef Art's famous fried chicken thighs and bread and butter pickles. Drizzled with hot honey), Creamy Mashed Potatoes
  • Kimberly: Shrimp & Grits (Pan-seared shrimp with tomato gravy and Tasso ham served over creamy Bradley's grits), KC Greens: Braised Kale and Collards
  • Isabella: Fried Chicken Sandwich, Peas and Carrots, Creamy Mashed Potatoes

Deviled eggs

Art's Famous Fried Chicken

Thigh High Chicken Biscuits

Creamy Mashed Potatoes

Shrimp & Grits

KC Greens

Fried Chicken Sandwich

The food was delicious but there was loads. Our original plan had been to share starters and sides but we got carried away by the nice looking food on the menu! Not only was the food good, but so was the service and the surroundings. The total cost was $121.80 all together, including a 10% Annual Passholder discount but not tip.

Isabella's drawing of... something

After dinner we walked over to Marketplace, where we picked up a free dessert (Ghirardelli squares) and had a browse in the Marketplace Co-Op. Jo saw a dress she liked in The Dress Shop in Cherry Tree Lane; one of ten new Disney inspired dresses that had just been introduced. She ended up buying the one inspired by the Enchanted Tiki Room which cost $100.54 (including 20% AP discount).

Jo trying on her dress

Here's the dress as worn 1 month later

Kimberly trying on some ears

Continuing shopping, we made our way to the Christmas Shop where we got to meet Santa as part of the “Christmas in July” celebration at Disney Springs that was ending in a couple of days. “Summer Santa” was dressed in clothes more appropriate for the Florida weather, however we witnessed some behaviour that was definitely inappropriate; he was being very flirtatious with one of the teenage girls in front of us... creepy!

Christmas in July

Summer Santa

Edited at 11:54 PM.
Stewboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 17, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

It was a really hot evening, and by this time Disney Springs had got really busy. After a bit more wandering around, some sitting down, and some selfies, we decided it was time for us to leave.

Selfies

Jo telling Isabella something interesting and/or funny

Sharing a joke

Isabella wanted some dessert (that Ghirardelli Square was not enough for her) so we decided to get her some ice cream somewhere on the way back to the car. Jo also wanted something, and got a special “Christmas in July” peppermint frappucino from Starbucks. Isabella tried it, and I think her face tells it’s own story….

Isabella's reaction to the peppermint frappucino

At least Jo liked it

We made the long walk back over to West Side and got Isabella an ice cream from Haagen-Dazs. The time was now 8pm, and time for us to head for home.

Isabella got her ice cream

The drive back only took half an hour, and once back inside the villa Isabella went straight to bed.

We sat and relaxed, and as Kimberly’s short visit was coming to an end tomorrow, we discussed the plans. Her flight from MCO was at 11:40am so we decided I would take her back to the airport and leave Jo and Isabella at the villa, otherwise we’d have to wake Isabella up early just to drag her to the airport and back.

Kimberly’s swimsuit from this afternoon was still drying in the man cave so Jo left her a helpful note to make sure that she packed it in the morning.

At about 11pm we decided to call it a night, although Kimberly was still suffering from jetlag and didn’t get to sleep until about 1am. Jo and I on the other hand had no such problems!

Another day over with, hope you enjoyed it, and thanks for reading

Isabella's TR day 7

Edited at 12:01 AM.
Old 17 Sep 17, 12:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Pavilion1983
Imagineer

Great trip report so far. Chef Arts looks and sounds great, we can’t wait to eat there. Shame about the creepy Santa
Old 17 Sep 17, 06:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Nesbits
Very Serious Dibber

Breakfast sounds yummy 😋
They upsell everywhere now, even Poundland, poor staff!
Nesbits is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 17, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

Breakfast looked really good, so did the chicken and mash!
Can't beat a dress with pockets
Old 17 Sep 17, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

Glad you enjoyed Homecomin' we really did in May, summer santa made me laugh.

That breaky sounds really good. Would defo consider it for next time, particularly now you've given that chocolate twist a good review as my favourite breakfast item
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Lovely pictures of the Boardwalk lobby, we have visited before but never taken the time to take it all in, I really love the paintings.

Dying at Isabella's activity sheet, her favourite Disney adventure staying at home in the pool, ah the innocence of youth.

Enjoyed your review of Trattoria al Forno, we're looking forward to it.

Jo's dress really suits her, fab choice.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Great day! Yet more yummy food!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Another great day.

Trattoria Al Forno looks a great breakfast choice.

We LOVED Homecomin' Florida Kitchen - and the photos make we want to go there all over again.

No trip to the airport today though? Surely another must be due 😉😉

Thanks for sharing.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List