Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 20 Sep 17, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

The Farewell to Wishes & Twenties Tour - May 2017 - Day 10: Magic Kingdom & Epcot

The Index

Day 9 - Thursday 18 May: Epcot EMH & More Shopping

Day 10 - Friday 19 May: Magic Kingdom & Epcot - Eating Round the World Fail

Yet again another early start as the alarm went off at 6.30am and we left the room at 7.15 to catch the bus to Magic Kingdom, hoping to make EMH. Annoyingly it seemed we’d just missed a bus and the next one wasn’t showing until 7.38 which meant we’d miss the new opening show.

We couldn’t decide whether to just go and jump in the car and see if we could make it via the monorail in time but I decided we wouldn’t make it so we sat it out for the bus.

A little bit of a rant now but I really don’t understand how Disney can’t be more organised and put more buses on for the park that has EMH on. We saw it all week that they’d be tons of buses for all the other parks yet the one with EMH would be few and far between! Hollywood Studios was a firm favourite of the buses that’s for sure.

We finally got to the park at 8.10 (55 minutes later so it probably would have been quicker to drive after all which did nothing to ease my annoyance) and it already seemed quite busy.

Happy to be there now we headed to Fantasyland first, but not before having a sneeky photopass on the bridge.

we walked straight in to see Arial meet and then the under the sea ride.

After this it seemed the wait was quite high for several nearby rides, so we checked the app and Buzz was only showing at 10 minutes so we walked through to Tomorrowland, stopping briefly at the Wishing Well but unfortunately we had no coins to throw in (we don't even carry money in the parks at all thanks to the magic bands!)

It was a warm but overcast day

Neither of us remember going on this before, however it was rubbish (sorry Lisa if you’re reading this – I know you’re a big fan), the guns weren’t brilliant and the scenes just didn’t seem as fun but we think Toy Story Mania has spoilt any shooting games for us now.

A firm favourite, Carousel of Progress was up next. We love how cheesy it is and its place in Disney history. The song is just so catchy too!

My favourite scene - reminds me of Save by the Bell for some reason

It looked like it was about to start raining now so we hot footed it to our first fastpass of the morning – Peter Pan. Very surprisingly the standby queue was only at 10 minutes, yet everywhere else was higher. This is a really cute ride but just a little too short.

We popped next door to Philharmagic next which was only a 5 minute wait whilst the previous show finished.

The rain hadn’t materialised so we headed to do the new castle forecourt show which was new since our last visit, Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire. I really enjoyed it and Olaf was a fun addition although I think I preferred the old one ever so slightly.

It was feeling extremely muggy stood there in the sun and Richard in particular was feeling it today. The crowds kept threatening to rain but it didn’t materialise whilst we were there.

Our next fastpass for the Haunted Mansion was nearly over by this point so we did a quick walk over (stopping for a bridge photo of course ) and the air conditioning was extremely welcome after the show. We were only stopped in our doom buggy once which was an improvement on our last journey with the hitch hiking ghosts!

After this we decided we were hungry so headed to our chosen destination of Peco Bills. It was our first time here and I’d read a lot about the toppings bar hence why it had been chosen. It was manic! Full of kids with school coupons who took an order to pick, I’ve read recently that you should be able to pre order on your phone now which would have been a great help on this occasion. We ordered the fajita platter (still feeling sorry for missing out on them at Millers!) $14.99 and beef nachos $12.49 with a regular coke $3.29. This was a mistake as we could have easily shared, particularly once you added on everything from the toppings bar. It wasn’t the most appetising dishes to look at but was very tasty. We also had two free iced waters.

Now full, Rich decided he didn’t want to do Thunder Mountain either with a belly full or without me and we spent a while just walking around wondering what to do. I fancied the river boat, as we’d never done it, but we’d just missed it. I suggested a character meet but Rich wasn’t up for that so we decided to head out of the park instead. We caught the very end of the trolly show. I'm sad we missed the dapper dans again this year but the times never worked out.

We were on a bus back to the resort at 12.30 when it started to really rain, so good timing on our part. Although our evening was planned in to do the World Showcase so I was really hoping it would blow over soon. Jumping off at Congress Park we had the momentary should we/shouldn’t we wait as the rain just seemed to get heavier and after a few minutes we just ran as quick as we could to our block.

The next couple of hours were spent packing. Sad times, but had to be done and better to do it when the weather was rubbish.

Finally heading back out at 3.30 it had stopped raining but was a bit grey, we parked up at the Boardwalk as I wanted to go to Abracadabar for a drink. Such a pretty hotel! I really hope we can stay there one day.

It was a lot smaller in there than I expected but we had no problem finding a seat at this time of day, from memory I think it had only just opened at 4pm when we arrived. Rich ordered some kind of beer and I had a non alcoholic version of a cocktail I had seen on the Disney food blog. Although it was slightly disappointing when it came without any theatrics or the candy floss that I’d seen it miss – maybe because it sans alcohol who knows. It was nice in there, but just a bar really. After we finished up I was pleased to see my drink was only $5 as opposed to the $12 it would have been with the booze as they don’t post the prices of the non alcoholic offerings.

Now done there, we headed into Epcot for our evening. It was really warm but with big black clouds looming. We saw a bridge just about to get married at the pavilion there and felt a bit sorry for them that the weather had turned but at least it was currently dry.

We popped into a couple of shops on the way and then the boardwalk bakery. I found a cupcake with sooooo much frosting on it that I declared it my birthday cake for tomorrow and said to Rich I would pick it up on the way back… needless to say I didn’t and was subsequently gutted when I remembered.

It was an easy stroll into Epcot and we turned left after the gateway into the UK and Canada. In true UK fashion it started raining and we headed into the show at Canada in the hope it would pass. I’ve been to the east coast of Canada but Richard has never been and that’s high on the top of our holidays list for the future so was nice to see the film, despite it being rather old now.

This guy in the middle is clearly a fan!

Our plan hadn’t worked so when we came out it was now back to heavy rain. We could see the gift shop at the entrance to the World Showcase not too far away so decided to run over. A quick nosy round there but nothing took our fancy, before then doing the same to the next gift shop along the way before finally making it into the Mexico pavilion.

Cute plates!

We were happy to see Donald doing a meet inside Mexico (due to the weather, he’s normally outside) with his sombrero and there was only a short queue so we jumped in line. He went for a short siesta before seeing us but it was a cute little meet when he got back.

<3

Finally, the rain had stopped so we carried on round the showcase. First up was a loo break in Norway – I was impressed they really made the toilets look nice here with a frozen theme. Loo recommendation for you there for sure.

Rich then bought an Icelandic beer from a Norway cart (same he had last year and enjoyed) and we found ourselves at our first food stop – Italy. We had the meatballs, which was made up of 6 for $7 which didn’t seem too expensive and they were really tasty.

I had a little list of must tries and unfortunately we didn’t get through all of them as we found ourselves quite full after a while!

Up next was the USA where we had the beef brisket ends, these were good also but the portion size felt a little stingy for $6.50. Meatballs were in the lead. It was whilst we were eating the brisket on the picnic benches near the American Pavilion that we heard vindaloo playing from of the countries – bit of a surreal moment, isn’t it just a football-y song?

Do they sing it?!

Richard had also bought a red stag lemonade from one of the normal booths, which he’d been talking about getting for ages, so I was glad he had it and really enjoyed it. No pic but here is one of him ordering it instead

Japan was our next calling for the teriyaki noodles. Again the portion size wasn’t the biggest but it was particularly tasty. The meatballs still had the lead however. We also got to see the 'pick a pearl' show for the first time and quite enjoyed learning how to count to 3

Our last savoury dish of the evening came from a cart between France and Morocco which was prawns with grits. We had no idea what grits were at the time, but we weren’t keen. The prawns on the other hand were delicious, you got 3 king prawns with pieces of spicy sausage in the sauce.

Dessert was up next and we helpfully found ourselves in France where we ordered the large chocolate and raspberry macaroon from the booth outside France. Very filling and tasty!

I also ordered a grey goose slushie as my birthday drink of choice (it was tomorrow) and had a few sips before Rich polished it off far too quickly. Naughty I know but it was a treat and it actually tasted weaker than I remembered which was a surprise after 3 months of not drinking.

Last up was the lemon scone from the UK, which was served warm with jam and cream. Yum! [Oops no photo - well you all know what a scone looks like ]

The weather had cleared up a lot by this point so it was nice and warm again so we sat on a bench near the pub and sat and eat it, Rich washed his down with an Innis and Gunn beer from the UK booth too. When buying it he had struck up a conversation with the girl working there from Durham who had said she’d seen Disney advertising at her Uni so had decided to apply for the year aboard – how fab! She also said she couldn’t believe they charged $9 for a Magners ha.

The pub had a nice atmosphere with people outside having a drink and it felt busy with people stood on the streets, quite like a nice evening in a good pub in London. We were pleasantly surprised that the park wasn’t busier it being a Friday, but assume the rain earlier had put a lot of people off.

It had gone dark by now and the world showcase really did look very pretty all lit up and we were having a wonderful time.

Around 8.30 we decided to go and claim our spot for Illuminations and headed to the bridge between the UK and France, both as it gives a good view and a quick exit to the Boardwalk afterwards for the car.

We were stood next to a Canadian family from Ontario and really enjoyed talking to them. One of their colleagues had emigrated from Birmingham, and that amongst Universal and Brexit led to the time disappearing.

Illuminations started spot on 9pm and was fab as always. Our new Canadian friends had commented that it’s so good to see just a fireworks show without any projections like at all of the other parks and we completely agreed.

I know I’ve read other Dibbers say it too but I really like the part where all the torches blow out and then the countries light up again to the music.

After it finished we said goodbye and headed off quickly through the international gateway towards the Boardwalk. That also had a really nice atmosphere with lots of people out eating, drinking and watching the entertaining there. Rich actually said he liked it this time which was good news for my future plans (last time I had dragged him there after a long day when it was cold and no one was about so no doubt that didn’t help).

Back at the car in no time, it was a short drive back to SSR and we were fast asleep in no time. I’d had a brilliant day for my last one in my twenties and couldn’t think of anywhere I’d rather spend my birthday the next day!

Day 11: Saturday 20 May - Magic Kingdom - the Big 3-0

Edited at 10:02 AM.
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 17, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
debsym62
Imagineer

debsym62's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Another great day, I love to park hop when I can but sadly no Disney this year.
debsym62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 17, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Mobile

Great day Michelle, that macaroon looks delicious! xx
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

First things first... you didn't enjoy Buzz Lightyear's Space ranger Spin?! Oh I am horrified! Haha definitely one of our faves, but anything with a competitive element always goes down well with Paul and I!

So glad you manage to make so much of the day despite the rain, and lots of yummy food too!

I love the 'pick a pearl' in Japan, we have stood there mesmerized for ages before... it's quite a show they put on (who knew anyone could count to 3 quite so loudly!)
Lisa_Lollipop is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
slow.jo
Very Serious Dibber

I am caught up!

Such lovely memories you've made so far I've really enjoyed reading.

Jo xx

Stewboy's Trip Reports
slow.jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 17, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

DisneyDreamer81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
That picture of the two of you in France is just gorgeous. You got so many lovely Photopass pictures! Most of ours are TERRIBLE

We didn't make it to Abracadabar despite being directly opposite it for 12 days. We did however get one of those Red Stag lemonades, which we loved and drank while sheltering from the rain It looks like it's in the back of the picture of the brisket so you did get a snap of it

I think that you had pretty much the best last day of your twenties ever! xx
2015 - Disneymoon! Caribbean Beach Resort & Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
2017 - Yacht Club & Disney Dream
DisneyDreamer81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 17, 12:51 AM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

The Boardwalk is on my wishlist too, but as we're about to buy a house probably just a pipe dream!

You can pre-order lots of places in Disney now but they don't accept the dining plan yet! So annoying as quick services are so manic, every time I go into one I feel like I'm back in the school lunch hall.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 17, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Originally Posted by debsym62 View Post
Another great day, I love to park hop when I can but sadly no Disney this year.
Thank you for reading We don't normally park hop too much but it was so handy when it was so warm this year!

Originally Posted by EJSakaAnna View Post
Great day Michelle, that macaroon looks delicious! xx
Thanks Emily - it really was, shame I had to share xx

Originally Posted by Lisa_Lollipop View Post
First things first... you didn't enjoy Buzz Lightyear's Space ranger Spin?! Oh I am horrified! Haha definitely one of our faves, but anything with a competitive element always goes down well with Paul and I!

So glad you manage to make so much of the day despite the rain, and lots of yummy food too!

I love the 'pick a pearl' in Japan, we have stood there mesmerized for ages before... it's quite a show they put on (who knew anyone could count to 3 quite so loudly!)
It just isn't TSM - sorry!

I could watch that pick a pearl show for ages, they are so entertaining! We still recount being able to count to 3 in Japanese

Originally Posted by slow.jo View Post
I am caught up!

Such lovely memories you've made so far I've really enjoyed reading.

Jo xx
Thanks so much Jo! Will pull my finger out and get it finished in the next week or two now xx

Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer81 View Post
That picture of the two of you in France is just gorgeous. You got so many lovely Photopass pictures! Most of ours are TERRIBLE

We didn't make it to Abracadabar despite being directly opposite it for 12 days. We did however get one of those Red Stag lemonades, which we loved and drank while sheltering from the rain It looks like it's in the back of the picture of the brisket so you did get a snap of it

I think that you had pretty much the best last day of your twenties ever! xx
Ha - only the good photos go in. I have plenty of sweaty ones too that haven't made it Ah it was such a good day, wish I could spend every birthday there <3 xx

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
The Boardwalk is on my wishlist too, but as we're about to buy a house probably just a pipe dream!

You can pre-order lots of places in Disney now but they don't accept the dining plan yet! So annoying as quick services are so manic, every time I go into one I feel like I'm back in the school lunch hall.
Thanks for reading and commenting as always Collybird I am so going to make the most of the pre-order 'next time' I think it could really save some decent time for sure and I've often pre-picked my meal in advance anyway Good luck for the house purchase, sure it'll be worth it!
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 17, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
Shame about the buses being a bit hit and miss.

Another great day, Illuminations is brilliant xx
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List