Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 25 Sep 17, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Any photography experts? I need lens advise.

I have a canon 60d and am looking to get a couple of new lenses.

One wide angled for room interiors and another that will produce good portrait pics (new baby on the way).

Can anyone recommend anything specific?

Also any tips for newborn baby photography!
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 17, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Mobile

Can't help with the lenses (although I'll ask Gary) but tips for newborn baby phography - Do it when they're asleep. Like deeply asleep. Have lots of wipes/towels on hand if you intend on a naked shot. Don't assume that being in a deep sleep means they won't pee on you. Or the fluffy rug. Or everywhere.
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 17, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Excited6910
Imagineer

I love my 50mm for portraits I've used it on all my babies and even now they're grown. I don't have a wide angle though I'm afraid so that I'm unsure of

Loved our Second “once in a lifetime" so much we're doing it again
Excited6910 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 17, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Originally Posted by abiknox View Post
I have a canon 60d and am looking to get a couple of new lenses.
Not a photography expert but have lots of cameras and lenses.
I can't say I have any interest in swapping lenses on bodies, I usually have a camera with a long lens, and a separate camera with a faster wide-angle/normal lens.

Depends what you fancy spending but I have one of these for indoor pics.
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

You can buy the older version second-hand quite reasonably. Your camera has a crop sensor which will make it a little less wide-angle and a little more zoom. Should suit your purpose.

It isn't what I would buy, much rather have one of the new small cameras from Canon/Olympus/Sony/Panasonic/Nikon that have wide-angle/standard lens that work well in low light, even without flash sometimes, and large sensors. Much handier to carry around so you always have it with you.

Even a good phone camera may be OK.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 17, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Excited6910
Imagineer

I didn’t see the bit about photography tips sorry. Usually newborn photo shoots are done before 14days old. Though catch an older baby the right time of day and you’ll be fine for a couple of weeks after. If using a beanbag or cushions pillows etc cover with a disposable bed mat and then put the blanket on top so it can be washed if there are any accidents and the bed mat can go in the bin.

I found the best time was after a full feed too.

Loved our Second “once in a lifetime" so much we're doing it again
Excited6910 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

wideangle, you cant beat the canon 10-22mm EF-S lens. ive had mine around 10 years and *love* it...

amazon/Canon-EF-S-...1009beb697761a

theres a cheaper 10-18mm one (£200 new on amazon right now) but i can't vouch for image quality. the 10-22 is as sharp as any L lens i've ever used. you can pick it up second hand for a bargain if you get lucky

(*edit* bear in mind if you decided to go full-frame in the future, then the 10-22 EF-S lens wont be compatible)

portraits, the nifty fifty (50mm f1.8) is the go-to standard. you can pay more, but if youve not got the 50mm (cost about £75 new) then start there and then get something better (again, sharp as any L series lenses ive ever come across)

hth
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandobelle
VIP Dibber

Orlandobelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Mobile

I don't *do* portraits as a rule but my canon 50mm f1.8 takes some lovely pictures. Was at a wedding last week and used it for some nice candid shots (well out of the way of the official photographer)
Easter 06 Calabay Parc/Vero Beach
Easter 07 Sunset Lakes/RPR Trippy
Hallowe'en 07 Sunset Lakes/HRH ~ Hallowe'en 08 Highlands Reserve & HRH
Xmas 09 - Bella Vida/HRH/Pop Trippy
Jul 2010 Bella Vida & RPR Photos
OKW & Bahama Bay for Christmas 2012
Summer 2015 ~ Cabana Bay & Terre Verde Sept 2016 -- Solo @ Pop / BWV / Sapphire Falls

Orlandobelle is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post

I've got a Tokina 11-16mm for Wide Angle, great lens! It does suffer slightly with Lens flare however but not really an issue for interiors.

You can't go wrong with a Prime lens for portraits however! I've recently bought myself a 35mm f1.8 Prime lens and love it!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Thankyou everybody, as always the Dibb comes up trumps with their knowledge on all things

Off I go to google some of the suggestions & see if I can find any bargains!
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

For wide angle, I wend for the 10-20mm Sigma. F3.5 at all focal lengths. I never use my 18-200 Nikon zoom now as the Sigma is so good. You will never regret going this wide. People think good zoom is good, but it isn't really unless for very specific things. Wide is the way to go as with high MP and a good sensor you can crop.

For good portraits get a really good prime. I am on Nikon so have the 35mm f1.8 prime. Clarity is beyond comparison. Not sure which for Canon tho.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List