Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Sep 17, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Woo hoo I've booked

I can't believe it but I've booked! We go in July so firstly I'm going to apologise for all the questions and thank you in advance for your help.

So what is the first thing I need to get booked (as in what do you need to book in months in advance). We are flying into San Fran and out of Vegas so know we want to do Alcatraz if the Fishermans Wharf area the place I should be booking?
So I'm really not that good at Geography but I know I want to see the main sights (trip reports are going to be my new friend) but how do you guys get a plan on the best route?
Old 26 Sep 17, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We stayed in Fisherman's Wharf the first time we went, this time we are on Lombard Street, still walkable to FW though. Other people I know liked their stay in Union Square, but whichever you choose, the cable car line runs between the 2 so getting around shouldn't be a problem

I think Alcatraz trips can be booked 90 days before, and some go quickly so I advise setting a reminder for then
grant_w is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
MichelleT
Getting Excited

Hi there, we're also flying into San Fran and out of Vegas next July ! It's our first visit too but I think if you wish to visit Yosemite or Grand Canyon then the accommodation in these places needs to be booked first. The trip reports are fab for getting ideas and a plan together.
Happy planning
MichelleT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Hi. We go soon and yes book Alcatraz 90 days before as they do sell out. We booked the night tour, getting excited now!
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MichelleT View Post
Hi there, we're also flying into San Fran and out of Vegas next July ! It's our first visit too but I think if you wish to visit Yosemite or Grand Canyon then the accommodation in these places needs to be booked first. The trip reports are fab for getting ideas and a plan together.
Happy planning
You never know we may be on same flights!I assume ur Man.This is the sort of stuff I mean but I need to do lots of reading! I looked at the Grand Canyon and it was going on about South and North rim and it's like woahh I need to do serious research ha
I see from your signature that you have done Florida lots of times - that trip seems so simple!

Edited at 04:32 PM.
Tweety1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by enjibenji View Post
Hi. We go soon and yes book Alcatraz 90 days before as they do sell out. We booked the night tour, getting excited now!
That is first on my agenda. I've seen some ppl do the night one what are the benefits of this one that you know? I haven't read much about the diff trips yet
Old 26 Sep 17, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by grant_w View Post
We stayed in Fisherman's Wharf the first time we went, this time we are on Lombard Street, still walkable to FW though. Other people I know liked their stay in Union Square, but whichever you choose, the cable car line runs between the 2 so getting around shouldn't be a problem

I think Alcatraz trips can be booked 90 days before, and some go quickly so I advise setting a reminder for then
I have heard about FW but as the hotels are so exp I think I need a few diff places that are accessible to walk so thank you
Old 26 Sep 17, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi first thing to help us help you how long is your trip. Also get onto google maps and check the main things you would like to do and look at distances.
jdouds is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

firstly make a list of the places you want to see and things you want to do and plot them on a map to get a view of how far apart they are and also what would be the best order to do them in. Distances are large and if you intend to travel any place around LA double what ever you think is the travel time.
The main things most people put on a list seem to be SF (alcatraz , goldern gate bridge, disney museum). Then a lot will talk about driving down the cost to LA with a stop over or two on the way.
In / around LA there are lots of things including disney land, warner bros tour, hollywood walk of fame (just to say you have), Santa monica pier and some of the beeches. If you intend to do this stuff look to split your stay as disney is best to stay anaheim.
If you don't want to do LA area then you may actually want to look north of SF and how about a trip to NAPA wine region and then over to Lake Tahoe.
For me a trip to California must include yosemite and if you want to do that this would be the first accommodation I would book especially if you want to stay in the park.
You could look at a stay in death valley which is a different experience.
it will ultimately come down to how many days you have and how far you want to travel. Plus if you have children as that will have an impact on daily distance.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by shack69 View Post
firstly make a list of the places you want to see and things you want to do and plot them on a map to get a view of how far apart they are and also what would be the best order to do them in. Distances are large and if you intend to travel any place around LA double what ever you think is the travel time.
The main things most people put on a list seem to be SF (alcatraz , goldern gate bridge, disney museum). Then a lot will talk about driving down the cost to LA with a stop over or two on the way.
In / around LA there are lots of things including disney land, warner bros tour, hollywood walk of fame (just to say you have), Santa monica pier and some of the beeches. If you intend to do this stuff look to split your stay as disney is best to stay anaheim.
If you don't want to do LA area then you may actually want to look north of SF and how about a trip to NAPA wine region and then over to Lake Tahoe.
For me a trip to California must include yosemite and if you want to do that this would be the first accommodation I would book especially if you want to stay in the park.
You could look at a stay in death valley which is a different experience.
it will ultimately come down to how many days you have and how far you want to travel. Plus if you have children as that will have an impact on daily distance.
Fab this is exactly the sort of info I need. I have briefly looked at maps (on my day off I'm going to have a proper look). Yes I would love to go to Yosemite but confused when ppl say they stay in a lodge others stay outside? Arghh what is best? Would you do Yosemite as the first stop after San Fran?
Yes I would like to do all the main sights so Yosemite,LA(to say I've been), WB Studio tour but it says children have to be 8! My youngest will be 7 .
Disney,San Diego, vegas,Grand Canyon(even that's confusing S of N rim! As you can see I have lots of research to do. However after reading the advice of daytonababe I agree not to do just 1 night stops unless it's en route somewhere otherwise
TIA