Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 25 Nov 17, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
katie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi PPM, car supplier dependant it can be money well spent for some, not for us, it would be nigh on half our one day hire rate again. I appreciate tolls must be paid, nowt but right, but it's the shockingly disgraceful way these highly suspect charges go unchallenged by the authorities/law. It seems tourists are fair game for borderline fraudulent charges and petrol goughing.

Hope it's not getting too cold up there now, naff here, thankfully we're off to Man Airport the morrow and fly to RSW Monday. Bring on some sun and warmth, our bones are keen as mustard for some heat!
Have a great time Chris, you'll soon be nice & warm. Freezing, icy wind here too. Just starting our hibernation now.

Katie
Old 25 Nov 17, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi PPM, car supplier dependant it can be money well spent for some, not for us, it would be nigh on half our one day hire rate again. I appreciate tolls must be paid, nowt but right, but it's the shockingly disgraceful way these highly suspect charges go unchallenged by the authorities/law. It seems tourists are fair game for borderline fraudulent charges and petrol goughing.

Hope it's not getting too cold up there now, naff here, thankfully we're off to Man Airport the morrow and fly to RSW Monday. Bring on some sun and warmth, our bones are keen as mustard for some heat!
Aye I’m talking a 2-3 week holibubs with an Avis or Alamo Car. I wouldn’t do it in your case.

By the way I hate you as you just reminded me we had snow today and had to clear 1/2 inch of solid ice off the windscreen this morning

I’m jealous of your holiday... enjoy the warmth
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 17, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Monko
Having Dinner with Goofy

Originally Posted by Monko View Post
Come home from recent trip (28/10 to 11/11) to find AVIS charged our card £66.69 for a 'refuelling fee' despite taking the car back with a full tank. Emailed customer services straight away, but have yet to have any response.

I feel like cancelling my card before I see anything else that AVIS want to take from me. It certainly puts a bit of a dampner on the return to the UK (which is always miserable enough after a great Florida holiday..)
Just an update to the above if anyone is interested. I had to chase up my original email complaint after 15 days had passed (last Wednesday), but did then receive a personalised email the following day addressing my issues.

The email stated that their records showed that I had returned the car empty hence the charge. They did however agree to look into it further because of what I'd originally stated regarding having no contact with an AVIS rep on returning the vehicle nor where any fuel options given to me when collecting the vehicle.

I was asked to send an scan or photo of my receipt of the last fuel payment made and/or my card statement showing the transaction. It was made clear that they had to have sight of this to progress any reimbursment and they did apologise for the inconvenience of this further request for evidence.

I sent copies of both my credit card statement and the receipt (my last receipt showed it being the Shell garage about 1/4 mile from Orlando Int) plus a copy of the receipt from the previous day when I had originally topped the car up to full - the Shell payment was for $13ish and was a final top-up as the needle had dropped from max.

I received an email today saying that what I had provided clearly shows that I did not return the car empty. An apology was offered and they are reimbursing the full charged amount plus the non-sterling transaction fee I was charged on my credit card.

I'm very happy with the outcome after just a couple of emails. However, I'm still frustrated and annoyed I've had to do this though, and it's clearly worrying that something is going 'wrong' at AVIS at Orlando International.
Old 5 Dec 17, 01:25 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Monko View Post
Just an update to the above if anyone is interested. I had to chase up my original email complaint after 15 days had passed (last Wednesday), but did then receive a personalised email the following day addressing my issues.

The email stated that their records showed that I had returned the car empty hence the charge. They did however agree to look into it further because of what I'd originally stated regarding having no contact with an AVIS rep on returning the vehicle nor where any fuel options given to me when collecting the vehicle.

I was asked to send an scan or photo of my receipt of the last fuel payment made and/or my card statement showing the transaction. It was made clear that they had to have sight of this to progress any reimbursment and they did apologise for the inconvenience of this further request for evidence.

I sent copies of both my credit card statement and the receipt (my last receipt showed it being the Shell garage about 1/4 mile from Orlando Int) plus a copy of the receipt from the previous day when I had originally topped the car up to full - the Shell payment was for $13ish and was a final top-up as the needle had dropped from max.

I received an email today saying that what I had provided clearly shows that I did not return the car empty. An apology was offered and they are reimbursing the full charged amount plus the non-sterling transaction fee I was charged on my credit card.

I'm very happy with the outcome after just a couple of emails. However, I'm still frustrated and annoyed I've had to do this though, and it's clearly worrying that something is going 'wrong' at AVIS at Orlando International.
Thank you Monko, many are interested in outcomes, especially one where you've proven you returned the motor full. Nicely done, pleased to see you got the refund. I concur that it's frustrating and morally wrong that you had to chase this up. It's given others the heads up to allow, perhaps, 15 extra minutes and insist a member of staff checks the motor in, providing the $0 to pay sign off sheet.
Old 12 Dec 17, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
katie
Imagineer

My saga so far - I saw my credit card had a charge for $22.75 for US tolls. I messaged them that I had paid cash in the 'exact change' lane at all tolls and asked for evidence & photos of my violations. They emailed me to say it would take 12-15 days to reply and I emailed back to say that was unacceptable but obviously got no reply. Today I got an answer to my email with a link to the Highways people showing the date & time of my alleged violations. I then emailed Avis again to say that I accept that I was at those tolls on the day and times claimed but that I paid cash in the exact change lane and had photo's to prove it. I attached the photos thinking that would sort it. However, I got another email from Avis with the same nondescript message to say they would reply in yet another 12-15 days! I'd had enough so I rang the telephone number in the Avis email, explained my total disgust at their inability to accept my evidence and refund my money. I was told that I must ring the Highways people and explain things to them as it is only they who can arrange for my money to be refunded. I protested that it was totally unacceptable that I had to do this as my contract was with Avis and that I had neither asked for, or wanted the epass and certainly objected to them taking money from my credit card without my authorisation and without them checking that the violation was legitimate. I was still fobbed off telling me to ring the Highways people despite asking for her manager. I said that it was unreasonable that I had to ring the USA incurring even more expense for something which is not of my doing. The lady at Avis then said that she would send me an email with the online contact details for the Highways department - I still haven't got thet. However I did find the contact form on the Highways website and gave them the same details of 'exact change' lane, transponder in car switched off (I know that doesn't matter now) and the fact that I had photo's showing my car in the 'exact change' lane in front of the payment maching with the Thank you sign illuminated. I now await a reply from them.
I am not desperate for the $22.75 and I know that other people have been charged much more but it's the principle of the thing. I had already had to get Avis to remove $77 dollars from my final bill for something which the Avis person couldn't even work out so I am a tad displeased with Avis.

Katie

Oh dear - sorry for the long post
Old 12 Dec 17, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by katie View Post
My saga so far - I saw my credit card had a charge for $22.75 for US tolls. I messaged them that I had paid cash in the 'exact change' lane at all tolls and asked for evidence & photos of my violations. They emailed me to say it would take 12-15 days to reply and I emailed back to say that was unacceptable but obviously got no reply. Today I got an answer to my email with a link to the Highways people showing the date & time of my alleged violations. I then emailed Avis again to say that I accept that I was at those tolls on the day and times claimed but that I paid cash in the exact change lane and had photo's to prove it. I attached the photos thinking that would sort it. However, I got another email from Avis with the same nondescript message to say they would reply in yet another 12-15 days! I'd had enough so I rang the telephone number in the Avis email, explained my total disgust at their inability to accept my evidence and refund my money. I was told that I must ring the Highways people and explain things to them as it is only they who can arrange for my money to be refunded. I protested that it was totally unacceptable that I had to do this as my contract was with Avis and that I had neither asked for, or wanted the epass and certainly objected to them taking money from my credit card without my authorisation and without them checking that the violation was legitimate. I was still fobbed off telling me to ring the Highways people despite asking for her manager. I said that it was unreasonable that I had to ring the USA incurring even more expense for something which is not of my doing. The lady at Avis then said that she would send me an email with the online contact details for the Highways department - I still haven't got thet. However I did find the contact form on the Highways website and gave them the same details of 'exact change' lane, transponder in car switched off (I know that doesn't matter now) and the fact that I had photo's showing my car in the 'exact change' lane in front of the payment maching with the Thank you sign illuminated. I now await a reply from them.
I am not desperate for the $22.75 and I know that other people have been charged much more but it's the principle of the thing. I had already had to get Avis to remove $77 dollars from my final bill for something which the Avis person couldn't even work out so I am a tad displeased with Avis.

Katie

Oh dear - sorry for the long post
Good for you Katie, stick to your guns. It is the responsibility of Avis to provide the photographic evidence and take up any questionable charges with Sunpass, it's their vehicle!

I agree with you for sticking to your guns, it's the principal and whilst many continue to shrug off these charges with a 'can't be bothered' attitude this incorrect charging will continue.

Also have a chat with your credit card company, explain the situation to them as they may take on Avis and apply a chargeback, especially as it seems many are aware of these Avis charges. Companies do not like chargebacks due to additional attached fees plus the payment.
Old 12 Dec 17, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
katie
Imagineer

Thanks for the reply Chris. I had forgotten about my credit card company - they have already stopped the payment going through for now. I will upload the recent document from the Highways people & my photo's showing us in front of the exact change machine.

Katie
Old 12 Dec 17, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

Keep at it and keep us updated.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 17, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Katie. I love your tenacity. Get at them!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 17, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
katie
Imagineer

It would be easy just to let it go but hey - there are plenty homeless people in my city centre would welcome this money. It's just the lenght of time it takes to do the necessary things needed. For instance - the Highways tolls people just show the bill on the website - no PDF or way of downloading it. I had to take a screenprint, load it into photoshop, take a copy of the relevant piece of the screen, copy & paste then save as a JPG - with 2 different shots of the bill. Then I had to get the photos of us at the toll cash machine off the mobile & into the laptop. Put said photo's & toll bill jpg's into a folder. Went to upload it to credit card company only to find I can't upload jpg's - they want portrait style doc, TIFF or PDF's. What to do?
I opened 4 new word pro docs and inserted the jpg's into the 4 word docs & saved them as PDF's. About an hour later - I finally got them uploaded. I may have gone a long way about things but the old brain doesn't work in fast mode these days and all my so-called PC skills have been gathered in college, uni & my work over ~ 30 years without any formal courses. Just make it up as I go along.
Anyway, I have my life back for a while until I get a reply from Avis, the Highways Tolls people or my CC company.
Thanks for reading - I can almost laugh at this ridiculous situation. Oh how I wish I had paid the guy in the cabin & got receipts

Katie