Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 26 Nov 17, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Bluegirl5353
Trainee Dibber

Toll Roads

Hi Dibbers,

Please can I have some advice about the toll roads, which is the best way to pay? Is the sunpass the way forward?

Thanks x
Bluegirl5353 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 17, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

If you are just using the toll roads back and forward to the airport just pay cash. We use them all he time, so use the Alamo toll system. with this there is no sunpass but a photo is taken of your reg plate and they use this to bill you after you come home. the cost is $3.95/day plus toll. The maximum is $18.95 plus tolls for the holiday period.
Some schemes, notably Dollar and Sixt are very expensive so i would only pay cash with them.
If you have no change on arrival at the airport ask for some quarters at the first toll booth as you will need exact change on most of the exit slip roads. The toll booths accept up to $20 notes.
Old 26 Nov 17, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Depends which toll roads you are using if they are manned just pay as you go with cash. We have just come back and used toll roads in Miami which are unmanned your number plate is scanned and your hirer will charge you the fee plus a daily amount up to a maximum(about $20).This is with Alamo although don't know what other companies charge.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 17, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Charl_bb
slightly serious Dibber

Make sure you get change at the airport. We once forgot and had to stop and get out to ask the lady behind for change. The poor woman looked terrified, I think she thought she was going to get carjacked!

Edited at 10:47 PM. Reason: Spelling
Charl_bb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 17, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. Some good responses already given

For the list of admin fees charged by the different rental companies click on the link below. Also it's in the Dibb Guidebook.

sunpass/rentalcar

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 17, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

as above

if you are just in /around orlando / theme parks then dont bother with a sun pass & pay cash. we only ever pay the toll on the beachline to/from the airport $2.25 iirc, most routes arent toll routes

further afield then as i understand tolls cant be paid in cash on some routes so a sun pass is needed
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 17, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

We normally go for around three weeks an have a Florida holiday not just a Disney/Universal holiday, so we tend to use a good few toll rods on our trips Osceola Parkway for one common used example. For us, using Alamo Platepass at $19.95 plus toll is the way to go.
$20 over three weeks is no hardship for the convenience.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 17, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

Manned tolls are disappearing and number plate technology taking over. Don't worry about a sunpass either.
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 17, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
toonmadlad
Excited about Disney

I'm will be travelling from Miami Airport to LBV, I guess the eToll that Budget uses is the best way and saves any hassle?
Old 27 Nov 17, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by toonmadlad View Post
I'm will be travelling from Miami Airport to LBV, I guess the eToll that Budget uses is the best way and saves any hassle?
If you go up the US-27, instead of the Turnpike, then there is no toll, so no cost and no hassle. It is a good fast dual carriageway.
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List