Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Nov 17, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
BoxOfFrogs
VIP Dibber

BoxOfFrogs's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Personally no, I was always the come home from work and play for a couple of hours and then at weekends kind of dad, when it comes to actual care I didn't really do that, washing, dressing, feeding etc was never my job, I was the fun parent but my wife did the important stuff, I would not want the responsibility, but thats just me
Old 28 Nov 17, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile

Can you take someone else with you ?
Close friend, aunt, parent ?
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Hi. I’d go if it will not play out in the kids watching you and your wife disagree about it. So if the trip has her blessing go. If not rebook at a later date. Agree the decision with your wife without involving the kids and then do what you agree. As for coping. None of them need a stroller. They can all wash and dress and feed themselves (I assume), so as long as you take lots of pool breaks I’m sure you’ll be fine. Good luck with your decision.
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I don’t have any experience as a parent taking 3 children by myself but I do have experience of being the child. My mum left my Dad with 3 children to raise by himself (similar ages to your children). He took us to Australia for a month long holiday ( not quite the same as Disney World, though we did visit theme parks and water parks) and I remember at that age it being incredibly exciting. I don’t recall missing my mother at all. I’m not saying he found it all easy and plain sailing ( we did nearly miss the plane coming home&#128556 but he can’t have found it too traumatic as he took us back a couple of years later.
If your children want to go then I’d go. As someone else as said it will help cement relationships and provide them with an amazing experience. I feel so lucky that my Dad took me to places when I was little. I love travelling and I’d like to think in part it is down to the opportunities I experienced as a child.
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsChunkyBager
Proud to wear my Ears

I’d say go for it, so long as the children will want to go. But, a note of caution, children can react very differently to each other when something like divorce happens. When my parents split, although they tried to be quite amicable with each other I reacted very emotionally. The split was my mum’s decision and she had been cheating with another man. Both me and my brother asked to stay with my Dad, so he had full custody of us both. My brother would do weekends with my Mum, and shortly after the split went on holiday with her, so in your situation regardless of the reason for your separation he would have been fine. However, it took several years before I would stay overnight with my mum, and it wasn’t until I was in my early-mid 20s that we fully regained a strong mother daughter relationship.

So, within a year of the separation, I would happily of gone away with the “innocent”parent, but would have screamed blue murder at the idea of going away with the “guilty” parent. My parents never asked me to choose sides (to this day I call it an amicable divorce in which I was the contentious party) but you can’t tell how a child will react.

1997 - Carribean Beach Resort
2000 - Rosen Inn 2012 - Doubletree SeaWorld
2018 - Yacht Club
2024 - Pop Century
MrsChunkyBager is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I say do it!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
DaveWitham
Earning My Ears

Mobile

Unfortunately I think I may be in the same position in August. If say for example my sister was able to come instead is it easy/very expensive to change names/details? We are booked with Thomas Cook staying in POR.

I’ve been looking forward to this holiday so much and the split is coming out of nowhere so on a real downer at the mo. 😢
DaveWitham is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DaveWitham View Post
Unfortunately I think I may be in the same position in August. If say for example my sister was able to come instead is it easy/very expensive to change names/details? We are booked with Thomas Cook staying in POR.

I’ve been looking forward to this holiday so much and the split is coming out of nowhere so on a real downer at the mo. 😢
Its quite easy to change names via your TA, and would be a lot cheaper (and nicer) than not going and losing the holiday. Hope it works out.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 17, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
benatkins10
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by DaveWitham View Post

Very similar to me then mate. I feel like our split is coming out of nowhere too.
benatkins10 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 17, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
peewakio
Very Serious Dibber

peewakio's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
go for it

Edited at 09:33 AM. Reason: inappropriate
peewakio is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List