Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 29 Nov 17, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post

:) Is there enough to do if you aren't big ride fans?

Dream holiday is fast approaching! Getting very excited now.

The 'problem' is, none of us like big rides, 2 adults and 2 children. In fact 2 children can be reluctant with medium rides although my 9 year old is keen to try some more medium size rides. DH and I definitely don't like big roller coasters which looks like most of Universal is out as they all seem big. I feel ill being a passenger in a car so I have to be careful with rides (definitely no going in circles).

Are we going to get a good enough holiday through not going on big rides? I've been looking on YouTube and at rides lists etc and big rides seem to be such a focus, maybe less so at Disney? Is this correct? We are keen to go to Universal as well as DS and I are Harry Potter mad but those rides look big so looks like it's more just the experience. We also like the Simpsons but I've watched the YouTube video and that looks like a big coaster. I'm now wondering if we are going to get a good enough experience (I expect just being there will be enough and porbably means not as much queueing for us).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
lolalolo86
Imagineer

The Simpsons is a simulator, as are a Lot of the rides in Universal/IOA apart from Hulk, Rip ride Rocket (big coasters). The Mummy is an indoor dark coaster and Gringots has a drop bit but is mostly a simulator albeit a very good one. I suppose Universal would be a waste if you don't like simulators to be honest. In Islands you have 3 water rides, two with big drops and a very wild rapids so depends on your feelings for them too. The Harry Potter lands are amazing though and so well done so if you are big fans I wouldn't miss it. Maybe just get a 2 day ticket instead of the 14 day pass?

Disney you will definitely find a lot more milder rides.

Just to add there are lots of shows in Disney, parades, fireworks, experiences with characters that you can always find something to entertain you Have a great 1st trip!

Edited at 11:42 AM.
lolalolo86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

the only "big" rides at universal (i assume you mean actual coasters) are hulk, duelling dragons (which IIRC is shut now anyway) and rip ride rocket

the rest are all pretty tame in comparison - for example, the mummy might be considered a coaster, but when your restraint is a lap bar, i dont really consider it a "big" ride

simpsons, transformers and spiderman are all glorified trolley rides and arent really any scarier than pirates of the caribbean :p
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Queen of Team Wimp reporting for duty!

I could easily spend 2 weeks at Disney and not go on any rides at all - there is so much to do.

There are also loads of rides suitable for Team Wimp.

Check out my trippies (link in my sig).
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Queen of Team Wimp reporting for duty!

I could easily spend 2 weeks at Disney and not go on any rides at all - there is so much to do.

There are also loads of rides suitable for Team Wimp.

Check out my trippies (link in my sig).
Thanks. Should be right up my street. I liked the 4D Ninjago ride at Legoland but I suspect this was a lot tamer as it never felt like you were falling. Although I guess you could shut your eyes lol.

Would a 2 day pass for Universal be enough? We will do Volcano Bay too, wouldn't that make 3 parks?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by HarryJPotter View Post
Dream holiday is fast approaching! Getting very excited now.

The 'problem' is, none of us like big rides, 2 adults and 2 children. In fact 2 children can be reluctant with medium rides although my 9 year old is keen to try some more medium size rides. DH and I definitely don't like big roller coasters which looks like most of Universal is out as they all seem big. I feel ill being a passenger in a car so I have to be careful with rides (definitely no going in circles).

Are we going to get a good enough holiday through not going on big rides? I've been looking on YouTube and at rides lists etc and big rides seem to be such a focus, maybe less so at Disney? Is this correct? We are keen to go to Universal as well as DS and I are Harry Potter mad but those rides look big so looks like it's more just the experience. We also like the Simpsons but I've watched the YouTube video and that looks like a big coaster. I'm now wondering if we are going to get a good enough experience (I expect just being there will be enough and porbably means not as much queueing for us).
Currently, there are only 2 big rollercoasters at Universal, one in each park. The Mummy ride and Escape from Gringotts are also types of indoor rollercoaster and can be quite thrilling (so perhaps might be too much for you).

Simpsons is a simulator. You sit in a ride vehicle and it tilts and pivots in time to the events on a screen, but it doesn't actually move anywhere. Some people find it a bit rough but we love it.

The two main Harry Potter rides - Escape from Gringotts and Forbidden Journey - also use screens. They are advanced simulators. They are very thrilling and may be too much for your family. There's also the Flight of the Hippogriff which is a small rollercoaster and the Hogwarts Express which is a fairly gentle train journey (that uses screens). These latter two rides should be ok for you.

Disney's rides do tend to be aimed more at families with younger children. Disney still has some big rollercoasters (Expedition Everest and Rock'n'Rollercoaster, for example) but it also has lots of gentler rides. The Disney parks and rides aren't like the theme park rides here in the UK that try to be the highest/fastest/longest/most loopy-est. There are lots of attractions - shows, events, performances, as well as rides - that are suitable for everyone.

(If you look at this old Rides For Any Age page it shows the attractions in bold that are suitable for anybody to experience, even the youngest child. Unfortunately its a little out of date but it gives you an idea).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

My DH will not ride coasters but he prefers Universal to Disney. He went on all the simulators apart from Simpsons and Forbidden Journey as they are known for causing motion sickness. He loved Spiderman and Transformers rides which are quite big simulators. There are many bigger rides and coasters at Universal than Disney but Universal can be enjoyed without the big rides.

Disney has only a few coasters or 'scary' rides and lots of other rides and attractions to suit everyone. You certainly won't feel as if you have wasted your money if you go to Disney and miss all the bigger rides as there is many other rides, shows, fireworks etc to entertain you all. Hope you have a wonderful time 😊
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by HarryJPotter View Post
Would a 2 day pass for Universal be enough? We will do Volcano Bay too, wouldn't that make 3 parks?
you can either get a 3 parks ticket, or a 2 parks ticket AND a Volcano Bay ticket when you're there, is weather is good on your visit

currently ( ends tomorrow ) universal runs their black friday sale, and you can get a 2 days 3 parks + 2 days free ticket ( = you have 4 days to visit all 3 parks, including hopping) for the price of a 2 days 3 parks tickets ($294.99 + tax per person)
tickets2.universalorlando.co...ets/index.html

tickets must be purchased before 30/11 and be activated (first used) by 11 may 2018 (from your ticker that should be fine for you

Edited at 04:58 PM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

My favourite ride is still Dumbo, so I'm officially on Team Wimp too.

As Gill said, there is so much to see and do at Disney without even going on the rides. My favourite part is just wandering around enjoying the atmosphere. Although I am attempting to go on some more rides this trip. Last trip to DLP I even braved getting a FP for BTM but then went on Ratatouille and it made me so sick that I had to go lie down for two hours and missed the slot. Didn't go on another ride of the rest of the the trip.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 17, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Seaworldlovers
slightly serious Dibber

Consider doing SeaWorld lots of shows and attractions
Seaworldlovers is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List