Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Car Hire & Transportation
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.
Charter Travel
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 7 Dec 17, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
#1
toonarmani
Imagineer
 
toonarmani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 122
Any tolls from Fort Lauderdale to Disney?

After staying 3 nights we are driving up from Fort Lauderdale to Disney, do you know if there are any tolls on this route? or is there a "best" route to go?

I've read a few threads of people having issues with tolls in Miami (cashless) so would like to avoid any problems if possible.

We are renting through Alamo.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Fort Lauderdale and Disney here we come
Reply With Quote
Old 7 Dec 17, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
#2
Disney_time
Imagineer
 
Disney_time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 06

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
There is the Florida's Turnpike, but the last time we used that you could still pay in cash and sunpass was uncommon in rental cars, so I'm not sure whether it's all cashless now. It was a nice quiet road - but a bit boring. You can also use the busier I95 some of the way.

Hopefully someone will be along to help that has used this route more recently as we are planning on using it in May 2018.
__________________
Disney_time is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Grand Cayman & Orlando
Reply With Quote
Disney_time is a DIBBcast Disney Podcast Fan
Old 10 Dec 17, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
#3
fredflintstone
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Apr 05

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
If you want to avoid tolls completely then take interstate 95 just after leaving the airport and join the 192 at Melbourne which will take you all the way to Disney. It's not a bad ride to be honest. If you want the more scenic and lots lots slower route along the coast take the 1 as you leave the airport. If avoiding the tolls the 95 and 192 is best from FLL.
I noticed on the way from Orlando most sat navs seems to take me off the Turnpike and put me on the 95 saying it is quicker.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 17, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
#4
toonarmani
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
toonarmani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 122
Originally Posted by fredflintstone View Post
If you want to avoid tolls completely then take interstate 95 just after leaving the airport and join the 192 at Melbourne which will take you all the way to Disney. It's not a bad ride to be honest. If you want the more scenic and lots lots slower route along the coast take the 1 as you leave the airport. If avoiding the tolls the 95 and 192 is best from FLL.
I noticed on the way from Orlando most sat navs seems to take me off the Turnpike and put me on the 95 saying it is quicker.
We're staying in Fort Lauderdale for a few nights before driving up to Disney, but I was thinking of having an early start when we leave so we can go straight to the parks (quicker route the better ).

I'll see how we can get to I95/192 from the hotel. Thanks
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Fort Lauderdale and Disney here we come
Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 17, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
#5
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer
 
Smilesonfaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 15

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
After staying 3 nights we are driving up from Fort Lauderdale to Disney, do you know if there are any tolls on this route? or is there a "best" route to go?

I've read a few threads of people having issues with tolls in Miami (cashless) so would like to avoid any problems if possible.

We are renting through Alamo.
Is there a particular reason you dont want to use the toll road ? Alamo are one of the best for the sunpass system. It is $3.95 for each day of usage and you can drive right through the pass lane. We used the SunPass for 2 days only, Just had the credit card bill for the journey from Orlando airport to the villa and one way to Fort Lauderdale. It was $12. The toll road is a bit boring but quick and didnt cost very much. If it is important to you to get to Orlando early I would say it would be worth it.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Pool and sun in Tenerife
Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 17, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
#6
toonarmani
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
toonarmani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 122
Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
Is there a particular reason you dont want to use the toll road ? Alamo are one of the best for the sunpass system. It is $3.95 for each day of usage and you can drive right through the pass lane. We used the SunPass for 2 days only, Just had the credit card bill for the journey from Orlando airport to the villa and one way to Fort Lauderdale. It was $12. The toll road is a bit boring but quick and didnt cost very much. If it is important to you to get to Orlando early I would say it would be worth it.
I thought you were charged daily from the first point of triggering Sunpass and as Fort Lauderdale is the beginning of our trip was thinking of avoiding a daily charge when the car will likely be sat at the hotel.

Or do they only charge if you trigger on that specific day? So if we only used tolls on the drive up that would be the only cost?
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Fort Lauderdale and Disney here we come
Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 17, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
#7
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer
 
Smilesonfaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 15

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Alamo only charge for each day the pass is used so if you only used the pass on one day you would only be charged for the one day.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Pool and sun in Tenerife
Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 17, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
#8
toonarmani
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
toonarmani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 122
Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
Alamo only charge for each day the pass is used so if you only used the pass on one day you would only be charged for the one day.
Cool, thanks good to know.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Fort Lauderdale and Disney here we come
Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 17, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
#9
ski
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon
 
Join Date: Aug 17
Mobile

Is there a maximum you pay for Sunpass, somewhere in the region of $20 per rental?
ski is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 17, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
#10
tinkerella123
Apprentice Imagineer
 
tinkerella123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 14
Mobile

Originally Posted by ski View Post
Is there a maximum you pay for Sunpass, somewhere in the region of $20 per rental?
Alamo automatically charge a $3.95 fee per day ($19.75 maximum per rental period) plus tolls.
tinkerella123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Counting the days
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks
Elegant Weddings of Orlando

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

Orlando Attractions

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

theDIBB Menu


US Dollar Rates
Cash/Travellers Cheques
Covent Garden FX  $1.3752
FAIRFX  $1.3700
M&S  $1.3518
Travelex  $1.3629
Prepaid MasterCard Rates
CaxtonFX  $1.3605
FAIRFX  $1.3700
Travelex CP  $1.3629
Updated: 13:02 21/02/2018

theDIBB Charity
Cancer Research UK
DIBB Members have Donated: £10,009

£

[Learn More]

Euro Rates
Cash/Travellers Cheques
Covent Garden FX  €1.1141
FAIRFX  €1.1090
M&S  €1.0863
Travelex  €1.1060
Prepaid MasterCard Rates
CaxtonFX  €1.1058
FAIRFX  €1.1090
Travelex CP  €1.1060
Updated: 13:02 21/02/2018

Orlando Weather
Florida Time
Wed 21st Feb 8:04am
Now: 21C/70F
Fog
Fog
Cloud Cover: 40%
Wind: 10mph - SE Arrow points to where the wind is coming from.
Pressure: 1029mb
Humidity: 94%
Illuminations Smoke
Updated: 12:30 21/02/2018

Latest Group Posts
WDW September 2018
How is your to-do list looking?
by Gezzs
Today 09:53 AM Go to last post
November 2018 Disney Holidays
When and where are you staying
by caitlinsmummy
Yesterday 06:21 PM Go to last post
Bikini Babes
Weigh in w/c 19 Feb
by WileyCoyote
Yesterday 08:15 AM Go to last post
October 2018
Welcome - Come and Say Hello
by MrsBC
19 Feb 18 05:51 PM Go to last post
Sept/Oct 2018
What have you done up to now?
by sasperella
19 Feb 18 01:42 PM Go to last post
RunDisney events
Marathon Weekend 2019
by Jockey
17 Feb 18 10:30 AM Go to last post
View All Groups