Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Members Trip Reports > DIBB Reporter Photo Trip Reports
Forgotten Password?
Notices
DIBB Reporter Photo Trip Reports Download the app for iOS or Android
DVC Magic
Unread 21 Dec 17, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

SoCal Christmas 2017: Pre-Trip Report

It is that time of the year again - the family Christmas trip!

Let me introduce the family:
Me - a 49 year old training manager. Mum of two, wife to one! Absolutely love travelling! Unusual for me not to have at least one trip on the go (currently have three )
J - my lovely DH who works hard to fund my obsession! He is actually very much looking forward to this trip as his best friend from school lives in San Diego!
O - our 16yo DS. Bless him - he has been studying 4 hours a night (and about 10 hours a day at the weekend) to get ahead. He has a big project to hand in at the beginning of February and whilst most of his classmates are waiting for the Christmas hols to begin he has been getting his up and running! Bad mum for booking the trip (I honestly had no idea - this counts towards his Bac!). Proud of him though He really is the most adorable 16 yo!
F - our 13 yo daughter! Has her moments but is a loving girl. She is a T1 diabetic - never stops her doing anything and she manages very well. She reminded me tonight I needed to try to book seats on the left hand side of the plane for ease of injections! Horse mad!

We live in the south of France!

So the trip!

It all started back in April where I found cheap flights to SanDiego via LHR for less than 500 euros each. J was actually quite keen as he could get to see his best friend from school.

So we leave on Saturday on an 8am flight to LHR. We have a 4.5 hour layover which suits me fine - we will hopefully have enough time to eat and get snacks for the flight. We all still have bad memories of running through LHR so I have everything crossed that all goes to plan!

Flights are with BA - online check-in is in less than10 hours. I haven't paid to sit together! Hopefully it will all work out! If not, I will have a quiet flight

We should arrive at about 5pm. After picking up the car we have about a 40 minute drive to Carlsbad. Just to get us out of San Diego. I imagine we will just crash when we get there.

J's friend lives nearby so hopefully we will have brunch will him.

Then it will be a 2-3 hour drive to Joshua Tree. This is very much a mum choice. The pictures look stunning.

We will be here for three nights. Lots of walking and for the goats (see previous reports ) lots of rock climbing!

Also excited to see the starry nights - I am easily pleased!

Then it is back to San Diego.

We have booked an Airbnb about 5 blocks from Pacific Beach - quite a happening place - J and I may be30 years too old

J's friend is going to hopefully give us a tour of San Diego so we get the lay of the land!

Yes - they are wetsuits. Three of them. They take up a whole suitcase but we figure as the beach is a big draw we may as well take what we have to make the best of it!

Those who can add up will realise we are one wetsuit down. That is because one of us prefers the land than the water! No prizes for guessing who!

Other activities will include visits to see the sealions, some of the parks (more hiking torture for the kids ) and ...

A visit to Belmont park - will probably get a day pass for the kids whilst J and I will be the designated bag holders!

I have bought 7day pass for Seaworld - at $60 each it was cheaper than a day pass on the door!

Not really sure how much we will go - we have never visited one before and it will be busy until New Year! F is a little against the idea of animals in captivity (which is why the zoo is not on the list at the moment - the boys are not bothered either!) so it may or may not be a hit!

There will be some shopping!

But most of all it is a trip to relax!

We may go whale watching (or I may go on my own! ), probably Balboa Park and Coronado will be visited! But there is no real timetable. We all need to relax!

I will be writing a live report for the 12 nights we are there

Merry Christmas to you all!

Edited at 10:58 PM.
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Argentina - Summer in Winter
Unread 21 Dec 17, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 21 Dec 17 9:54 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 17, 12:35 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
Imagineer

Mobile

Merry Christmas. I'm looking forward to reading along with your trip, hope you all have a fantastic time.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
POFQ...Best xmas pressie ever!
Unread 22 Dec 17, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Looks great, have a fab time

Movieland Hotel IDrive - Honeymoon 2002
Port Orleans Riverside - First trip for the kids 2012
3 Weeks at Old Key West - July 2014
Villa at Highlands Reserve - July 2016
New York and Orlando - June 2018
yellowrose78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
MSC Seaside Caribbean Cruise from Miami
Unread 22 Dec 17, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Sounds fab, looking forward to reading along. San Diego is lovely. Xx

Our villa video http://findadisneyvilla.com/videotour.html

License number DWE 6308837
Monitored alarm and safe
Finding Dory bedroom
Fabulous 50's Diner themed games room with pool table, air hockey, fooseball and giant chess.
Gas BBQ
Free National and International calls
Cable TV in all bedrooms
55 inch, 4K smart TV, Netflix enabled
2 cots, 2 strollers, 2 high chairs
Please read our absolutely amazing Dibb reviews
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Home where I belong!
Unread 22 Dec 17, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Sounds like the perfect trip! Looking forward to reading more.

I didn't pay to book seats with BA either in the summer and we were all together both legs, hopefully you'll be fine.
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
DC, Williamsburg & Virginia Beach
Glee Fan is a DIBBcast Disney Podcast Fan
Unread 22 Dec 17, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Ooo it's finally time for your trip. Have a great time!
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Halloween at DLP
Disney Wishing is a DIBBcast Disney Podcast Listener
Unread 22 Dec 17, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Merry Christmas. I'm looking forward to reading along with your trip, hope you all have a fantastic time.
Thank you! Work is finished! Most things are ready!

Originally Posted by yellowrose78 View Post
Looks great, have a fab time
Thank you! I am sure we will!

Originally Posted by Pussycat Doll View Post
Sounds fab, looking forward to reading along. San Diego is lovely. Xx
Everyone speaks so highly of it so I can't wait to go!

Originally Posted by Glee Fan View Post
Sounds like the perfect trip! Looking forward to reading more.

I didn't pay to book seats with BA either in the summer and we were all together both legs, hopefully you'll be fine.
The advantage of having a connecting flight is an earlier check in! I managed to move us from 4 in the middle to 3 on the window/middle/aisle and then aisle behind. Quite far back but worth saving a few euros on

Originally Posted by Disney Wishing View Post
Ooo it's finally time for your trip. Have a great time!
And thanks for a great summer trip report - most helpful!
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Argentina - Summer in Winter
Eat and Play Card