Notices

Old 31 Dec 17, 06:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

SoCal Christmas 2017: Day 8 San Diego - La Jolla

The day started at about 6.30am - as usual we had toast, yoghurt and coffees for breakfast!

We went back and forth via imessage with David - J's old school friend. Menus were looked at and we agreed to meet up around 12 at a restaurant in La Jolla.

Figuring that parking may be at a premium, we left about 10ish via the petrol station and parked on the road (in the direction of the traffic ) near the tide pools. Whilst there were lots of signs about parking being limited to 2 hours none of these signs seemed to be on the stretch we were on. We asked an old gentleman who was walking past and he agreed that it should be ok!

We walked towards the coast - past the Museum of Contemporary Arts that had a cool boat structure on the outside!

This stretch of the coast is renown for its seals and sealions. They are very cute but they do stink!

There were definitely two distinct types!

I loved them all piled on top of each other!

There were also lots of pelicans!

When a flock were in flight it was a magnificent thing to see! Unfortunately I had left my proper camera in the apartment so had to make do with my iPhone!

I couldn't quite work out what this was... Interesting design though.

We were early at the restaurant (George's on the Cove) so put our name on the wait list and went for a Starbucks. O thought he had ordered a mocha frappucino but a green tea one turned up. It was actually very nice!

We went back at the time the restaurant told us and met David and his son there. There wasn't going to be a table for quite some time (another 45 minutes) so David and I played good cop (him), bad cop (me) and we managed to get one in the downstairs bit for 10 minutes later. I do like embarrassing my kids (I am firm and polite but won't stand for the it's only been 30 minutes when it has already been an hour! )

It worked in our favour as we got a table with this amazing view!

I had a quinoa burger - it was lovely! One of highlights (apart from chatting with David and his son!) was F trying and loving the guacamole - another food on her list!

If you are in La Jolla, it is a great restaurant. Mains were about $15 a head!

As we were sitting there we could see a fog move down the coast!

We walked through La Jolla to the tide pools. F would have stayed here for hours - we saw fish and anemones.

And this?

We parted company with David agreeing to meet up tomorrow. We drove the 15 minutes back to Pacific Beach. Whilst we really liked La Jolla we all agreed we preferred the reality of Pacific Beach!

As soon as we got back it was wetsuits on and down to the beach.

The fish body boarded - I read my kindle until the lifeguards ordered everyone out if the water. By then it was actually pretty nippy.

Back at the apartment, showers were had and we ate bits and bobs as we were all still full from the lovely lunch!

Harry Potter was watched and we were all too lazy to go out again! Even on a quiet day like this I have walked over 11km!

Edited at 06:39 AM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 17, 06:35 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 31 Dec 17 5:35 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 17, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another lovely day and nice to meet up with old friends

Joan
Old 31 Dec 17, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
LuvPluto
Proud to wear my Ears

Great food, great company and great scenery
LuvPluto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Fun with friends, pleased you got the table sorted. Loving the beach photos...I think I still like your lake ones the best!😊
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

oh that's a great day - love the seals, they look so serene don't they and the gang all ad a good time at the beach and sounds like a delicious meal and good value too ! How lovely to catch up with an old friend too
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Lovely day in La Jolla- it's so beautiful there. Glad you got to see the seals, but you're right, they do bring a powerful fishy smell! The city has tried to combat the smell many times over the years, but it doesn't stay away for long. George's is one of the most popular restaurants in La Jolla- sorry you had some hassle getting your table at first, but glad you enjoyed your meal. George's has one of the best views anywhere!

I can tell you what that green box is that has the poem all over it. It's a call box that is unlocked during the summer months, so people can call the lifeguards if there's an emergency. But, there is more to it- the box is also a tribute and memorial to a well-known local bodysurfer named David Freeman, who drowned off that part of the coast where the box is located, back in the 90's.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Can't believe the weather for mid-Winter. Very warming pictures.
Old 2 Jan 18, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Lovely to meet up with your friend. Glad you got to see some wildlife. WOW 11km on a quiet day!
Old 7 Jan 18, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another lovely day and nice to meet up with old friends

Joan
It was a shame we didn't see more of him - but between his plans and ours they didn't always match up!

Originally Posted by LuvPluto View Post
Great food, great company and great scenery
It was overall a great day

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Fun with friends, pleased you got the table sorted. Loving the beach photos...I think I still like your lake ones the best!😊
I think it would be difficult to beat the lake sunset pictures

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
oh that's a great day - love the seals, they look so serene don't they and the gang all ad a good time at the beach and sounds like a delicious meal and good value too ! How lovely to catch up with an old friend too
The seals/sealions were so very lovely but do pong a bit!

The meal was lovely! F has now eaten her bodyweight in guacamole!

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
Lovely day in La Jolla- it's so beautiful there. Glad you got to see the seals, but you're right, they do bring a powerful fishy smell! The city has tried to combat the smell many times over the years, but it doesn't stay away for long. George's is one of the most popular restaurants in La Jolla- sorry you had some hassle getting your table at first, but glad you enjoyed your meal. George's has one of the best views anywhere!

I can tell you what that green box is that has the poem all over it. It's a call box that is unlocked during the summer months, so people can call the lifeguards if there's an emergency. But, there is more to it- the box is also a tribute and memorial to a well-known local bodysurfer named David Freeman, who drowned off that part of the coast where the box is located, back in the 90's.
Thanks for that - it is so interesting to know the history behind it, though sad too.

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Can't believe the weather for mid-Winter. Very warming pictures.
The weather was just amazing - we were so lucky! We said the same two years ago when we were in Florida at Christmas! Seems we chose the right coast this year!

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Lovely to meet up with your friend. Glad you got to see some wildlife. WOW 11km on a quiet day!
I love seeing the wildlife! I always manage to walk a lot on holidays - shame I can't manage it on a working day!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List