Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 18 Jan 18, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

C&L Beijing, Hong Kong and HK Disney Nov 2017 - Travel home and overview

Travel home and overview

I meant to write a final page the other night but this week has been manic so sorry for the delay!

Home time

We got up at 5.15pm, checked out of the hotel and walked over to the airport, we were pretty tired as we hadn't gone to bed until quite late. We were flying home with Air China, stopping off in Beijing. We checked in and popped to McD for breakfast.

We went through security quickly and looked around the shops and bought some pockys for work. We sat at our gate, at 8 we got onto a bus to take us to the plane. It was such a long bus ride! We boarded and took off quickly though and were in the air by 8.45pm. The flight went quickly and we landed at Beijing at 11.30am, it was very clear where to go to transfer and we went through immigration and security. I was very tense as I was so worried about the flight being late or missing our second flight, but now we were in Beijing I could finally relax.

We got on our flight fine and the rest of the journey went smoothly, I managed to sleep for quite a bit of the journey. The food was fine on the flight back, I took photos but didn't make a note of what it was. Before we knew it we were back in London and the holiday was over 🙁.

Overview

I was going to call this highs and lows but Chris and I were just discussing and couldn't think of any lows!

Flights

Air China was extremely reasonable, we paid £720 for the flights to Beijing, then onto Hong Kong and return to Heathrow (back via Beijing). It wasn't the nicest plane we had been on, but considering the price, we couldn't fault it.

Hotels

Citycourt hotel in Beijing was great, we read that it was lovely to stay in the court hotel and we loved the layout. The room was quite dark but it was only £120 for three nights, so again couldn't fault it for the price!

Dorsett Mongkok – this was a lovely hotel, rooms were small but the views were amazing! The free shuttle was a great extra! It was pretty reasonable compared to other hotels in Hong Kong, we paid about £400 for 5 nights.

Disney Hollywood Hotel – wow! This was obviously our favourite hotel of the trip. I don't really have much else to say as we absolutely loved it. The 40% off discount was great and what made us to decide to book this hotel. For two nights was about £470 including the two day ticket.

Regal Airport Hotel – this was quite expensive for one night at £120 but most of the other hotels would've meant we needed a taxi to the airport. As our flight was early I knew we would be able to relax more if we were already at the airport and didn't have to worry about shuttles or taxis and it was worth the extra money.

Beijing – this was completely different to any place we had been before! We enjoyed our stay and glad we got to experience it and the Great Wall was one of the best things we have ever seen. The food was amazing though and I am still dreaming of the duck wraps! The metro was very good but we were definitely glad we had done our research beforehand and knew which station we needed for all of the main attractions! We had heard about the pollution and they weren't joking, it was bad! We barely saw any other western tourists while we were there and it took a while to get used to people staring at us all the time.

Hong Kong – we loved Hong Kong and enjoyed all of the main attractions. The dolphin watching was a highlight of our stay in the main part of Hong Kong but some of our other favourite things we did included the peak, 360 cable car and the star ferry! The MTR was very easy to get around and very convenient. The food was great and we loved trying a few different things!

Disney - I am not sure why I didn’t have great expectations from Hong Kong but I did it a disservice! It was amazing, we have been to Orlando, California and Paris and it was different to all of this but still had the Disney magic. The classic rides were newer than other parks we had been to which was great. The shows, parades, music, fireworks and everything else Disney does so well were all up to Disney standard. Definitely recommend a visit .

Thank you for reading my report. Our next Disney trip is going to be back to Orlando in 2019, I am so excited ! Next trip for us is a weekend in Budapest next month so I will probably do a little trippie for as I love to write .

Edited at 10:38 PM.
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 18, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Thanks for taking the time to write the report - I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it!

Enjoy Budapest!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 18, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write the report - I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it!

Enjoy Budapest!
Thank you
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 18, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Glad your journey home was uneventful and that there were no lows that you could think off. Thoroughly enjoyed reading about your adventures and thank you for sharing
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 18, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you for writing, I really enjoyed it. Hong Kong is definitely on our to do list in the next couple of years. Beijing at some point too, when the kids are a bit older.
Dolphin watching looked great but how rough is it? I've never been able to go whale watching as I get really sea sick, but managed a dolphin cruise in Australia as it was in calm canals rather than the sea. Is it out in the sea?
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 18, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

Really enjoyed reading,all about your trip.
Didn't think I would,at the beginning,as we don't have fond memories of Beijing,but was glad you never encountered,what we did,so that made me sit back & enjoy the whole trip report.
Hong Kong,is definitely on our places to visit,so love reading about other people's experiences & picking up tips,for when we do visit.
Enjoy Budapest & I will look out for that trip report.
Thanks for a great read.
Tracy x
Old 19 Jan 18, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mel49 View Post
Glad your journey home was uneventful and that there were no lows that you could think off. Thoroughly enjoyed reading about your adventures and thank you for sharing
Thank you! I started writing it and realised how boring the journey home was, but that’s always a good thing thank you for reading.
Old 19 Jan 18, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Geordieprincess View Post
Thank you for writing, I really enjoyed it. Hong Kong is definitely on our to do list in the next couple of years. Beijing at some point too, when the kids are a bit older.
Dolphin watching looked great but how rough is it? I've never been able to go whale watching as I get really sea sick, but managed a dolphin cruise in Australia as it was in calm canals rather than the sea. Is it out in the sea?
Thank you for ready It was very smooth as we didn’t go very far out and stayed quite close to land. It was windy but the sailing was smooth and only slightly bumpy one time when a bigger boat went past. I’m not very good with small boats so took a travel sickness pill just in case but felt fine
Old 19 Jan 18, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by tracy99 View Post
Really enjoyed reading,all about your trip.
Didn't think I would,at the beginning,as we don't have fond memories of Beijing,but was glad you never encountered,what we did,so that made me sit back & enjoy the whole trip report.
Hong Kong,is definitely on our places to visit,so love reading about other people's experiences & picking up tips,for when we do visit.
Enjoy Budapest & I will look out for that trip report.
Thanks for a great read.
Tracy x
Thank you sorry to hear you didn’t have a very good experience in Beijing. Hong Kong was great and definitely recommend it! Thank you for reading
Old 21 Jan 18, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Pieces
Imagineer

Pieces's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Really enjoyed reading your trip report, thank you!
We go in a few months time. Staying on Hong Kong Island.
Did you find there were many street sellers that hassled you to buy from them? I read a couple of other trippys that did. Enjoy your next trip