Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 24 Feb 18, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
stace&tink
Imagineer

A Not So Scary, Very Merry, Solo Trip. Oct/Nov 2017. Day 6 - Animal Kingdom & Magic Kingdom.

Today I was spending the day at Animal Kingdom with Kylie and the evening with Julie-Anne in Magic Kingdom.

We had originally planned to be at Animal Kingdom for Extra Morning hours but after our late night last night decided we wanted that hour in bed more so we decided to meet this morning at 8:45am.
We had also planned to grab some brekkie at our hotel food court but it was ridiculously busy so we ditched that idea and headed straight to Animal Kingdom. Don’t panic… although nothing has gone to plan so far it does get much better haha.

We were soon on a bus and on our way to Animal Kingdom. Kylie talking about how much happier she was doing a park with company. I am perfectly happy on my own but must admit this holiday has definitely made me realise how much more fun it is to share the experiences with like minded Disney fans.

On arrival at AK it already felt busy. I think we arrived just after normal park opening. Bag check was mental, luckily Kylie noticed that they’d opened extra lines to the side so we hop footed it over and got through quite quickly.

We wanted our first stop to be at the tree of life but that was a no go. Today just so happened to be Christmas taping day, right in front of the tree….and it was rammed!

We had a fastpass for Dinosaur at 9:10am so headed straight that way. Pictures would have to wait until later.

Dinosaur was fun, I always enjoy this ride. We mooched around the shop afterwards and Kylie bought some Minnie ears and I got a toy to bring home for Tink.

Next we went on Primeval Whirl, we noticed it only had a 10 min wait and this can often get long lines so we decided to ride while it was quiet. We laughed the whole way around as well as saying “ouch” several times.

We were in desperate need for food by this point. We’d planned to get food after Dinosaur but got distracted by the 10 min queue for Primeval Whirl.
We walked through Asia keeping an eye out on what food offerings there were, stopping to watch the monkeys on the way. I was on the hunt for a big Disney Doughnut more than anything else lol.
We found that there didn’t seem to be many breakfast offerings in AK. Eventually we came across Joffrey’s… they had the doughnuts! Sorted! We wanted to sit down to eat and conveniently there was a tuk tuk sat there empty so we jumped in.

The tuk tuk was right next to the vacation club stand and the sales man found it highly entertaining that we’d turned this little tuk tuk into our breakfast dining location. We asked him to take a picture for us and he kindly did. He also gave us some stitch tattoos which we obviously put on straight away. Kylie was a bit unsure how we’d make this work at first then she clocked me pouring my $3 Dasani water after my arm lol. We are so cool!

Our next stop was Expedition Everest with fastpasses. We took some pictures on the way. Photopass photographers seemed really thin on the ground so far.
This is one of my fave rides – even if the backwards bit makes my head feel funny!

From here we went and did the Gorilla Falls exploration trail which would have been a lot more enjoyable without the kids that were in front of us chanting the same few words over and over again. Our patience was starting to wear thin after a while so to avoid a huge confrontation with the kids parents we speed walked past and as far in front as we could. If they were my kids they’d have been told to pipe down but hey ho.

We were getting hot and sticky by now, I always feel hot and sticky in Animal Kingdom… anyone else feel the heat there is so different to the other parks. I just start to feel gross after a while. We found a hidden spot for a photopass opportunity, it was at the back of tree, but I really liked it as you didn’t have any people walking through your picture like you do at the front of the tree.

It was soon going to be time for my Flight of Passage fastpass. Sadly Kylie couldn’t get the same time but did manage to change her evening fastpass to early afternoon so was sat for a moment watching the dancers in Africa coming up with our plan for the rest of the day. Both of us said we fancied some pool time to chill out and have a swim so we decided that after my FOP ride we’d meet back up for the hour to kill until Kylies FOP fastpass, then I would go back to POP and Kylie would meet me back there when she was done at AK. I’m not going to lie – I was sooooo looking forward to getting back to the pool.

Off I went to Pandora. Flight of Passage was amazing as is now easily one of my fave rides in the whole of Walt Disney World. The queue time was well over 2 hours and I was on in about 10 minutes with my fastpass. I’m not a huge Avatar fan so in all honestly the shop afterwards didn’t really interest me at all so I walked straight through but the ride was incredible.

Whilst leaving the ride I checked my phone and had a message from Kylie telling me where she was waiting so I replied to say I was on my way.

The crowds in Pandora were crazy so we didn’t stick around. I was starting to get to my “had enough” for today point. That doesn’t happen often but I was feeling the heat today and with a late night coming up tonight I was desperate to recharge my batteries.
I wasn’t going to disappear on Kylie though, we made a plan and I was sticking to it.

We had some photopass photos taken in the harambe village area.

This was both a funny and awkward experience for both of us. We only wanted a picture with the Fichwa Fellow wall but our photographer was on something and had us doing all sorts for the camera. At first we were a bit awkward but then we just went with it lol.

He spent so much time with us that other people in the queue just left because they were waiting so long. We were joking about his photography skills (I have a diploma in photography) so he felt pressured to take the best pics haha… honestly though I’ve hardly touched my fancy camera since I got my qualification and am probably rubbish with it now.

He did tell us that the “Fichwa! Fellow” quote was Swahili and meant ‘hidden Mickey’. Every days a school day! He was really funny but I think both of us were glad when we were finally let go haha.
We also did the Maharaja Jungle Trek…in the hope of seeing the new Tiger cubs but no such luck. We just saw one sleeping tiger at quite a distance. Never mind!

Hunger setting in we went on the hunt for lunch. We both had the baked mac n cheese from eight spoon café on our food to try lists so headed there…with the help on MDE. There was only 1 free table and we desperately wanted to sit down so I was in a hurry ordering my food so I could secure the table. I had the mac and cheese with shrimp and sweet chili sauce and Kylie had the plain mac and cheese. The portion size was great for a snack credit and mine was delicious! Baloo and King Louis walked past while we were eating too.

It was now time for Kylies FOP fastpass so we parted ways for a short while. I was back at POP in no time, changed into my swimwear, went and got a drink in my refillable mug, grabbed some pool towels and secured myself and Kylie a sun lounger by the main hippy dippy pool.

I was so grateful to be resting for a bit. I had a dip in the pool and then plonked myself on the lounger and listened to the quiz games going on around the pool. I think it was about an hour later Kylie arrived.

She kindly offered to re-fill my mug as she was going to go and fill hers. She forgot to mention she just wanted my mug for a photo op! haha!

We had a dip in the pool…well I had a dip, kylie sat on the side with her legs in the water. We chatted, laughed, played along with the Disney quiz the cast members were playing with the kids on pool side. It was a really nice chilled out couple of hours, enjoying the sun and topping up the tans.

We weren’t in the pool long and it was evacuated. We assumed a child had done their business in the pool. I sent a picture of the empty pool to Julie-Anne and Vicki saying Kylie had done a poop and so the pool got evacuated. Haha. We sat there laughing at the lifeguards pacing around doing their ≈≈≈≈ watch duty. It wasn’t long before the pool reopened and we were back at the edge with our legs hanging in the water.

At around 5ish I left Kylie sunning herself by the pool, as I needed to get ready and off to Magic Kingdom. I was meeting Julie-Anne and Vicki for dinner at Be Our Guest at 7pm.

On my arrival at MK the sun was setting and looked so pretty so I grabbed a quick picture.

On entering the park I was welcomed by the Christmas Tree that had gone up overnight. I messaged Vicki to let her know she would be dealing with a very excited Julie-Anne on their arrival (JA had been going on about hoping the tree went up while we were there) but Vicki replied saying JA already knew.

I took a leisurely stroll through the park towards Be Our Guest and waiting for JA and Vicki.

They messaged me to say they were having transport issues but were on their way. While waiting I noticed the queue for Be Our Guest check in was getting ridiculously long so I decided to join it and get us checked in as our reservation time was near. When I finally got to the desk I was told the whole party have to be here to check in. I was not impressed I stood in line for about 10 mins for nothing so I asked if it would be ok to check in late as my party weren’t all here yet…. There was no way I was losing this reservation. I was getting my picture with the Beast. (Long story short, my last dinner here was to celebrate my engagement, since then I have become single and all my pictures with the beast have the ex in so I needed new pics) lol.

The cast member said it would be ok but really wasn’t convincing so I was a bit nervous. A few more minutes passed and JA messaged me to say there were in and coming up main street so I joined the check in queue again in the hope they’d reach me before I reached the desk. They didn’t lol… so I just lied and said they were waiting out of the way. I went and waited on the bridge as instructed and within seconds I was joined by the rest of my party phew! Poor JA and Vicki were a bit flustered so grabbed a cup of complimentary water while waiting to be seated.

Soon enough my name was called (well… the Rivett family) was called, we all laughed at that and we were seated in the West Wing.
I’d never sat through this section before so was quite excited.

I already knew what I would be ordering months in advance of this trip so didn’t really need to look at the menu lol. Steak and Grey Stuff. JA had the same and I believe Vicki had the braised beef. We were all in agreement that our mains were delicious. So so tasty. However, the grey stuff. SO disappointed. The most overrated desert on property, in my opinion. Lumiere and the dishes lied! Haha.

I’d eat here again without hesitation but I would not be ordering the grey stuff.

Not long after we’d finished eating I happened to look at the time and I kid you not, it had flown! We still had to meet the beast and Happily Ever After was due to start in 20 mins! We got the bill paid and made a swift exit for the Library. Last time I was here we walked straight in and had no wait. But no, not tonight. There was a hefty enough queue. Vicki suggested ditching the queue and not bothering, thank god JA was totally on my wave length and wanted to stay in line. I would have stayed on my own had she decided to leave too but there was no way I was not having these pictures. I wore my rose shorts and yellow top all for this one photo haha. Vicki decided to go back to the hotel for the evening at this point, myself and JA had plans to stay LATE…so we said our farewells for the evening.

Half way through the queue BEAST needed a potty break. Seriously! So we got used to the fact we were probably going to miss Happily Ever After tonight and have to amend plans so we could see it another time later in the holiday. We were still going to stay in the park and try to catch The Kiss Goodnight.

We finally, after what seemed like ages but in reality was only about 20 mins met Beast. Happily Ever After was starting just as we left Be Our Guest but we knew there was no way we’d get a good spot to view now so decided to hit some rides.

We had hoped to get a picture with the tangled lantern but all evening the queue was just crazy long so we didn’t bother.
We rode Haunted Mansion first. During the elevator part at the beginning I thought I recognised a lady I follow on Instagram, @disneyjunkie75, she’s a local and visits Disney often! I am so jealous, but anyways, I daren’t say hi in case it wasn’t her. Then after leaving the elevator and during the short queue she said to me “I recognise you, is this you” and flipped her phone around to reveal my Instagram page. She still follows me too. We said our hellos and she said it looks like I’m having a fab time so I obviously said I was and that was kind of it as it was time to board the ride. It was really weird because when I first announced my solo trip she actually offered her company to me and said I was more than welcome to join her anytime she was in the parks. Obviously my plans became not so solo so I never took her up on the offer. It was really cool to meet her and say Hi though.

When we came out of Haunted Mansion the fireworks were going off and I kid you not they were SO loud from back here!

I can’t remember exactly in what order, but we also rode The People Mover, Thunder Mountain (which I love love love in the dark), Jungle Cruise and Pirates of the Caribbean.

It was a really really fun night, even though we missed the fireworks. We hung around for the Kiss Goodnight, I teared up watching this and still do every time I watch the video footage back on my phone. The castle remained lit afterwards (not as youd normally see it) so we waited around for ages just staring at the beautiful sight infront of us and taking photos. It wasn’t until we walked back down main street towards the exit that we noticed they were doing Christmas filming. I have no idea who the presenters were, I heard someone say one of them was from dancing with the stars but I honestly wouldn’t know. That explained why the castle was still all lit up after the kiss goodnight though. We did also try to find @guybehindthecastle tonight but had no luck.

We found the purple wall too.

We eventually dragged ourselves out of the park and said our good nights. We were spending the whole day together tomorrow and it was going to be a loooongggg day! As I walking around to the POP bus stop I noticed a bus already there so made a run for it. It was full though – boo! Lucky me though got 1st pick of seat on the bus sat behind which they turned into a POP bus. Happy days.

I don’t remember what time I was back at POP but it was another brush teeth, make up off and crash kinda night. Today had been fab and I was excited for our 4 park challenge day tomorrow.
stace&tink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
disneydaft70
Imagineer

The Grey Stuff was rank!

Lush night though, especially Kiss Goodnihht and the castle xx

Ramada 2001, Quality Inn Plaza 2004, Imperial Swan/Caribbean Beach 2008, Imperial Swan/Animal Kingdom Lodge/Econolodge 2010, Comfort Inn/Port Orleans Riverside/Bay Lake Tower 2013, Florida Road Trip/Beach Club Villas 2015, Port Orleans Riverside/Villas at Grand Floridian 2017, Comfort Inn/Port Orleans Riverside 2018, Port Orleans Riverside 2019, Castle Inn & Suites, Anaheim 2020

Trip Report - December 2010
Food Report - November 2013
Florida Road Trip - November 2015
disneydaft70 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
clochette
Apprentice Imagineer

Sounds like you had a great day. I like the idea of a not quite solo solo trip - the best of both worlds!
clochette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Archie14
Excited about Disney

Another great day, getting loads done. We tried the grey stuff and have to say it was 'meh'. Tried it but wouldn't get it again. Looking forward to the next day!
1991 - Villa in Buena Ventura Lakes, 1993 - Villa in Davenport area, 2010 & 2012 Staybridge Suites LBV, 2015 - CBR, 1st time on site, 2017 - CBR We're going back - Oh no we're not, just moved to POR! 2020 - So excited, birthday celebrations at POR July 2020 - COVID CANCELLED , 2022 - Belated celebration trip - staying at CSR
Archie14 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I agree about the grey stuff it's a real shame I kind of think any grey coloured food isn't going to taste good it's just not that appealing. Otherwise it sounds like a fab day and evening.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

Phew, that was a full day
Love the BOG restaurant, I thought the grey stuff was ok
Looking forward to reading the rest.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another good but long day

Joan
Old 14 Mar 18, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

DisneyDreamer81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Ooh the grey stuff looks totally different to what I had a few years ago! It was like an iced chocolate brownie then, and the grey stuff tasted of Oreos. How rubbish that yours was horrible!

Looks like a fantastic day, grey stuff aside!
2015 - Disneymoon! Caribbean Beach Resort & Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
2017 - Yacht Club & Disney Dream
DisneyDreamer81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 18, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Yet another fab day!

You seem to get on so well with Kylie, JA and Vicki and I like the way you are all sort of doing different combinations to do different things (IYKWIM)!
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 18, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I love the atmosphere at the Pop pool, the kids always seem like they’re having the time of their lives, the Cast Members are great with them, and the music is fab.

An awesome day, I was surprised how much you squeezed in!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List