Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 5 Mar 18, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile Old Key West Rooms to avoid thread

Hi

I posted this in the middle of another thread, then someone else asked for a link, so I'm posting it here on its own thread.
I did an analysis on what I personally consider rooms to try and avoid at OKW, mainly because I found the bus noise intrusive.

The post is here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...ght=Okw&page=4

I hope it helps.
Old 5 Mar 18, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

I think we were in block 29? It was a top floor studio which was right on a wrap around road where peninsular road joined another road? Does that make sense - sorry I don't know OKW very well, but the bus noise was horrendous! The road literally ran right round the block and was a few feet from the room. Buses and cars were constant and due to the angle of the room at night time it was even worse as headlights shone over and over into the room through the weirdly oversized key hole. The room was really run down too, dirty and in a bad state with broken things. I think they were refurbing though as they were doing next door when we were there. It was awful and we barely slept.
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 18, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandobound
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Oh No! When was this? We've booked a 1 bed for a week in October and I'm having serious doubts about OKW.
orlandobound is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 18, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by orlandobound View Post
Oh No! When was this? We've booked a 1 bed for a week in October and I'm having serious doubts about OKW.
This was last September/October but we were in a studio the one bed was behind us - we were in a lock off to it - and was much better set back away from the road. I read the initial post on this thread and totally agree that in parts OKW was lovely if you get set back from the road. Also like I say I think they've been refurbished now.
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 18, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
elmspenguin
VIP Dibber

we have stayed in Millers Road on each or our 3 visits to OKW. Twice we were in block 18 and we think this a great block, 2 minutes to the bus stop and quiet pool/laundry, it is a 5 minute walk to HH.

Last year we stayed on the right hand side of block 20 in the studio on the 2nd floor and agree about the bus noise all day but it honestly didn't bother us and never affected our sleep but i can see it being a problem if you are light sleepers. The herd of elephants in the 1 bed next door annoyed us more.

A tip we use to keep the light from coming through the peep hole or any old key hole that is no longer in use is to stick plasters over them, works every time.

Also if you stay on millers road and are able to, get off the bus at peninsular road and walk back to your block when coming back from the parks it is quicker than going round on the bus.

Edited at 08:14 PM.
elmspenguin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 18, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi we have stayed 5 times now in various locations and never had a problem and would highly recommend all areas. Bus noise would only be a problem if you stayed in bed to long or went yo bed very early

Edited at 09:29 PM.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 18, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi we have stayed 5 times now in various locations and never had a problem and would highly recommend all areas. Bus noise would only be a problem if you stayed in bed to long or went yo bed very early
But the buses run from about 6 am (EMH) to 1 am. Love OKW but experience can greatly be varied by room location. Given its DVC with 95%+ occupancy moving rooms can also be difficult. I speak from experience on that score.
Most rooms are good to decent though.

Edited at 09:38 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 18, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Nope, neither. Our room was a dreadful location as the road wrapped round it so the buses could be heard at all sides. There was glass lampshades above the bed and they rattled every time buses passed which was from early to late which made it worse especially at night. Like I say I don't know OKW very well as that was our first stay, but those of you who do might know from these views: This is the front:

And the back one way:

And the other way:

Edited at 11:23 PM.
Old 5 Mar 18, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by alkel2730 View Post
Nope, neither. Our room was a dreadful location as the road wrapped round it so the buses could be heard at all sides. There was glass lampshades above the bed and they rattled every time buses passed which was from early to late which made it worse especially at night. Like I say I don't know OKW very well as that was our first stay, but those of you who do might know from these views: This is the front:

And the back one way:

And the other way:
Yep you got a very bad room there. Those air con banks are also a pain, a high floor will normally mitigate those, if you get put near one.
Where roughly in the resort was this I’m trying to work it out. Is that the canal on the other side of the road, which would put you on Peninsular? If so how far up were you?

Edited at 11:36 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 18, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I worked it out, you were in 29 which is the last one on Peninsular before Turtle Pond. You were in the left side of that block, front elevation, which is very near Peninsular Road. Another room to avoid, particularly with the poor outlook at the back and air con bank right outside.
Thanks for the info.
If anyone else has rooms to avoid please post them here to help others.
I have to to stress most rooms are OK to good and it’s a lovely resort, but there are some much poorer room locations if bus noise bothers as per my original post and this example.