Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 27 Apr 18, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

L&L Cruise life - Britannia April 2018 - Pre-trippie and day 1

Pre-trippie and Day 1

Hey , slightly different line up from my usual pre-trippie but I have recently returned from a cruise with my sister so thought I would do a little trip report.

I'm Laura, I am 28 and live near London. This is my sister, Louise, who is 25 and lives near Portsmouth (our home town). We are very close but we have never been away just the two of us and we therefore suggested going away together over Easter, as Louise is a primary school teacher. Here is a couple of pictures of us.

We then found this cruise on Britannia with P&O to France and Spain which went on good Friday so perfect for Louise's Easter holidays. We booked an inside cabin for £560 each, getting the early saver as we booked back in September. I thought this was a great price for the school holidays. I have never been on a cruise before but Louise went on one with our mum last summer and loved it, I was therefore very excited after all the stories I had heard !

The itinerary was:

Friday – Leave Southampton

Saturday – Cherbourg

Sunday – Sea day

Monday – La Coruna

Tuesday – Gijon

Wednesday – Bilbao

Thursday – Sea day

Friday – arrive back in Friday

The only excursion we had booked was a kayaking trip in Gijon, we were just planning to get off the ship and wander around at the other stops. We weren't sure how much Louise would be able to do either as Louise had broken her foot in early January.

Our other plans were to just enjoy ourselves as much as possible, we wanted to relax and enjoy the ship.

Day 1 - Leaving Southampton

I travelled down to my parents' house on the Thursday night and our parents then drove us to the Southampton Port at about midday. We had so much stuff, as I was travelling down after work on the Thursday I had taken my case down a week before, I therefore had to pack far in advance which resulted in me chucking in far too many clothes! We only just fit it all in the car!

We got to the Port about 1 and it was pouring with rain! Our cases were taken as soon as we arrived and we didn't see them again until they arrived at our cabin.

We had quite a wait until we could get on, we bought some prosecco and enjoyed our wait. We were called about 2.30pm and were very excited to get on!

We went and found our cabin straight away and dropped off our hand luggage. I was very impressed by the cabin, it was much larger than I expected. Our cabin was on C deck which was the 12th floor at the front of the ship. As we had booked early saver our cabin was automatically allocated. We were the cabin furthest the front so we didn’t have anyone one side, I thought this would mean less noise but I never heard the people the other side either! I guess it did also mean we didn’t have anyone walking past us as we were at the end but not sure how much you can hear.

We then went for a wander around the ship, we got lost and got stuck outside in the rain !

The horizon restaurant was open for food, we hadn’t had lunch so we were very hungry. We went to the buffet and got some food, and wandered around the ship to see as much as possible. When we got back to our room our bags had been delivered so we unpacked.

At 5.15pm we had to go to the safety briefing, we got split up for some reason (maybe they thought we were trouble ). We weren't anywhere close to each other, they told Louise to take one seat and then sent me to a different part of the theatre.

The ship left on time at 6pm and we spent a while looking out for our parents who were by the beach watching us leave! We couldn't find them but we then saw a car flash there lights and we established later on that was our parents .

After we left we went and got got ready for the evening, we love getting dressed up so we decided we would go for it tonight. We had taken some gin and tonic into our cabin so we enjoyed a drink in our room while getting ready.

We couldn't believe how gorgeous the ship was, every time I walked into the midship I was amazed! We obviously had to stop for some photos .

We had been allocated freedom dining which we were pleased about. We went for dinner about 8pm and were given a table for 2, we were able to order wine and they’d keep the bottle for you if you didn’t finish which was great as we wanted different wines. I ordered a bottle of red and Louise ordered rose. For dinner we both had the beef salad to start, I had a lamb shank and Louise had the steak. For dessert I ordered orange sorbet and Louise had the sticky toffee pudding then we both had some cheese. The food was so good, so far I was extremely impressed !

We were given some shortbread to finish, we weren't hungry after everything we had eaten but we tried it anyway. It wasn't very nice and ended up just getting stuck in our mouth. This set us off into a fit of giggles .

After dinner we went to the crows nest for a drink, this is a bar at the front of the ship. I had a margarita and Louise had a cocktail called fruit punch. It was such a lovely atmosphere which an incredible pianist, my favourite was The Greatest Showman medley he did!
After we finished our drinks at about 11pm we headed back to the room to go to bed.

We received some complimentary bottles of water but could buy large bottles 6 for £10 but we hadn’t got around to ordering them so I popped to a bar and bought one for £2 to keep us going, then we went to bed.

So far I was loving cruise life

Edited at 09:11 PM.
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 18, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

It looks like it will be a great trip! Food looks delicious! I hope the weather improves though ☀️

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 18, 07:36 AM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

The ship looks beautiful
A great first day except for the weather.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 18, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Tink 45
VIP Dibber

Sounds fab so far! The ship looks amazing too, is that an inside cabin you have? Lovely!
Hope the weather improved for you. Looking forward to reading more x
Tink 45 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 18, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
It looks like it will be a great trip! Food looks delicious! I hope the weather improves though ☀️
Thank you luckily it did and we had so much fun I’m not sure the weather would’ve bothered us anyway hehe!
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 18, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by stecee View Post
The ship looks beautiful
A great first day except for the weather.
Thank you , yes it was and was probably more amusing get stuck outside of the ship with the weather like that haha!
Old 3 May 18, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tink 45 View Post
Sounds fab so far! The ship looks amazing too, is that an inside cabin you have? Lovely!
Hope the weather improved for you. Looking forward to reading more x
Thank you, yes that is an inside cabin, I was so impressed! It did and we loved it
Old 3 May 18, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Looks really nice, we have never done P&O yet but it does look good.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 18, 06:31 AM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Looks really nice, we have never done P&O yet but it does look good.
We were very impressed (not that I’ve been on any other cruises), but we loved it
Old 4 May 18, 06:39 AM  
Link to this Post
pennycrayon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

Thank you for posting this were on the Britannia next May on a similar cruise!