Notices

Old 25 Jun 18, 12:54 AM  
Link to this Post
EvilQueen1937
Proud to wear my Ears

Cast Member Charlotte (Disney's CEP 2018!) Day 8!

Well, today was my first day!

I got up at 6:30 as I had to be at Magic Kingdom costuming for 9:30. It is a HUGE warehouse opposite the Disney University and it's quite high security. I had trouble getting in the giant metal turnstiles because my ID wouldn't scan so I needed help! I got in eventually though and was literally amazed. Every single costume for the Magic Kingdom was in there, I could even see all the Christmas and Halloween costumes!

We were shown how to clock in, then we were assigned to our trainers. Mine was called Tif and she had been working at the Emporium for over a year. I was with two other girls from the CEP and we were taken over to the rail with the Emporium costumes.

Now, I'm a size 10 in UK sizes and we were told to take 4 from this to get our US sizes, so this would make me a 6. However, there were no small blouses left on the rack - the smallest was a 14! Eventually we hunted down a size 10 for me on a portable rail which was being used to move costumes around after they had been washed. When we all had something, we went to try them on!

I had been dreading it to be honest as I've seen the Emporium costume on some CMs and it's far from flattering. Some people wear the skirt so low on their hips and it doesn't look right in my opinion! The fashion in the turn of the century was to wear skirts on the smallest part of your waist so this is how I chose to wear mine, and I think I definitely made the right choice! I'm pleasantly surprised, it's actually really flattering and I like the shirt being slightly too big as it's cooler and also looks nice with the high fitted skirt. We are allowed up to 5 of each costume item, however since they had literally nothing else, I was only able to take one! It's going to take several trips to costuming to try and find more 😂

After getting our costumes we took the shuttle bus from Disney uni to backstage MK. Again, I'm not going to say too much about this as I don't want to ruin the magic! Believe me when I say it's cool though 😁

We spent a lot of time backstage, getting lockers and finding our way around. We also went backstage in the Emporium to see who everyone was and what they do. We were taken onstage into the Emporium itself and it was the weirdest feeling ever! There was so much going on around me and all I wanted to do was look around - I am so used to being a guest! I had to keep reminding myself I am now a CM so I have to behave like one haha! Guests were looking at me a lot, and kept commenting on my "earning my ears" ribbon below my badge. I'll include a close up of it later.

We were taken outside onto Main Street and given a tour of the place from a CM perspective, finding out the function of each building and which parts were manned by Emporium cast members. It was absolutely stifling in that shirt and dress and I was sweating buckets!

We had two 30 minute breaks (in a 7.5 hour shift) which was good, it was a good chance to natter to our trainer and hear all her stories! After lunch we were allowed to watch the parade on Main Street from outside the Emporium. Again, it felt so weird because I just wanted to scream and wave when I saw my favourite characters but instead I had to act all professional, despite the heat and the heaviness of my costume!

When we returned inside, a woman smashed a salt and pepper shaker right in front of us. She was very apologetic but Tif assured her it was all fine. She told me and the two other girls to stand where the glass was to stop guests from going near whilst she went to find a custodian CM. Literally, as soon as she left, it was as if guests flocked towards us asking questions that we didn't know how to answer! One boy asked me where to get the pins for his magic band, and I didn't have a clue. CMs aren't allowed to just say they don't know do I desperately looked around to see if I could see them but I couldn't! I explained to the boy that I wasn't familiar with the shop as I had literally only just walked inside for the first time as a CM and that it was my first day, but that I would try and find another CM who he could ask. Normally, I would have just walked around to find someone, but I had been specifically told to keep guests away from the glass and safety always comes first so I had to stay put. I couldn't see anyone! It was really awkward as I had been caught off guard and we weren't even supposed to be working in the shop, but I eventually found someone and waved them over before thankfully handing the boy over to them.

It was such a simple question that he asked, but it was literally within my first 5 minutes in the Emporium as a CM and we hadn't even done a tour of the shop, let alone learn where exactly everything is kept! Thankfully, Tif came back with the custodian and he swept up the glass so we could move on.

The day continued pretty much like that, lots of tours and lots of information! I finished at 5 and went to get the bus just as it began to thunder and lightning. I was soaked, and I'm sure you're all familiar with the very cold air-conditioning on Disney buses, so the two combined meant I was freezing all the way home, and it took more than an hour! We got stuck in bad traffic and I had no WiFi so I had nothing to do and I was shivering like mad! I got changed as soon as I got home and put my PJs on. My plan had been to go the the pool for a couple of hours before getting an early night but it was closed because of the weather. I had also considered going to Walmart as I really need to get some stockings for my costume. But my feet hurt and I was cold and tired so I'm having a night in, catching up on all my social media!

I haven't bought a phone or a sim card since I'm only hear for a few months and there is WiFi all over Disney property. But it means I can't make calls or texts and am very reliant on the WiFi. So when I am on buses or at the Disney uni I am completely without any means of communication and it's a bit annoying! It means I always have a lot to go through when I eventually do connect again.

Here's a closer look at my badge with my training ribbon on. Apparently even when CMs have finished their training they like to keep it on because people are nicer to them! It seems that once you take it off, guests expect you to be the fountain of all Disney knowledge and it's a lot of hard work. It's all worth it though, I hear so many stories of magical moments that CMs have had with guests and I can't wait to have some myself!

Early night tonight then I'm back in formal wear for more Disney University classes early tomorrow morning. This one is called "Merchantaining" and will probably be as amazing as it sounds! I finish about midday so am going to go to either Epcot or the Animal Kingdom as I haven't been to either of those two yet!

Thank you to everyone who has been commenting and messaging me, I always wonder if anyone is actually interested in detailed descriptions of my day but it's great to see that people are loving it so much! Hopefully it's a unique perspective for you all and hopefully it inspires some people to apply themselves! Seriously, it you say that I "referred" you at your Yummy Jobs interview, I get fifty quid 😂😉

Anyway, it's goodnight from me and I will post again whenever I have time!

Remember, you're the one who can fill the world with sunshine!
EvilQueen1937 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 18, 01:18 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by EvilQueen1937 - 25 Jun 18 1:18 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 18, 03:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Karababe
Excited about Disney

I’m loving the uniform!

I agree I would probably leave the ribbon on x

Lining the report and hope to see you in August x
Karababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 18, 05:35 AM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

Please keep up the posts I am loving them and so jealous of you
Old 25 Jun 18, 06:01 AM  
Link to this Post
chippyminton
slightly serious Dibber

Love your reports. Fascinating to see behind the scenes
chippyminton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 18, 06:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneycraft
Imagineer

Disneycraft's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 17

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
I’m absolutely loving your reports .you look lovely in your uniform , i’m Determined to come and say hello when we get there in Aug

Marriott 93, MIC lakefront 94,Holiday inn 96,Rosen plaza 98,Quality inn plaza 02,BVP 06,BVP 07 ,Royal plaza 08,villa 09,villa +RPR 11,villa 12,Contemporary 13,BVP 14 ,POR xmas 15,Beach club 16,Beach Club 18 ,Contemporary 22, Sheraton LBV 23,+ DLP 03,17
Disneycraft is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 18, 07:15 AM  
Link to this Post
boltyboy
Imagineer

boltyboy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Hi Charlotte, reading with interest with my 11 year old son. He is adamant he wants to do what you are doing. Thanks for posting.

2020 canceled - 2018 - 2015- 2012 - 2004 - 1998 - 1995 - 1993
Has it really been 8 years? - Trip Index
August 2015-Trip Index
boltyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 18, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
eleele
Apprentice Imagineer

Love the uniform, it looks good on you!

I'm absolutely fascinated by your trip report, it's amazing being able to get an insight into what goes on behind the scenes - keep up the good work!
eleele is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 18, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Lady Victoria
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Enjoying the report Charlotte.

Will say hello if I see you in August!
Lady Victoria is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 18, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Jedi Princess
Imagineer

Mobile

You look lovely in your uniform.

Another busy day, thanks for posting👍