Notices

Old 6 Aug 18, 02:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

New England Summer 2018: Day 9 - Lake Champlain Vermont

Again the day started a bit early - 5am for J, 6am for me and 7 am for the kids! It was again overcast and it looked like there had been rain overnight.

As usual, we all sorted ourselves out for breakfast! J and I had cinnamon toast, F had cereal and O had yoghurt and strawberries.

The plan for today was riding for F and then we were headed out to Lake Champlain to see a friend of mine.

F and J went down to the stables to get Floyd ready. They had to get him from his paddock. One of the stable girls helped with which saddle. F decided to ride a western saddle as she had never tried one before.

We went a different route today. Floyd is very docile (and a bit lazy) but F got him to work. The land us very undulating which is very different to where F generally rides.

How could you not enjoy riding in such wonderful surrounding?

F and Floyd did a lot of galloping. Both loved it. F found the western saddle a bit odd but was happy to have tried. We also saw two deer - Floyd must be used to them as he ignored them as they ran off into the woods!

Back at the farm, F washed down Floyd - though the minute she put him in his paddock he just rolled over!

Once back at the farm, I met up with the owner to settle up. The total cost for F's two lessons, her two hacks plus the boys' lesson was $230. We thought this was excellent value - the experience for F was priceless and she gas been buzzing all day with her ride!

Once F was all showered we headed out to my friend's in-laws' house on Lake Champlain which was just outside Burlington. I have know my friend since we were both pregnant with our eldest kids. However, it had been 10 years since we had seen each other.

She and her family were staying with her in-laws at their summer cottage. The afternoon was fabulous.

For lunch we made sandwiches (picky kids on both sides...) with cheeses, smoked salmon, salads etc. All was delicious!

My friend had organized a birthday cake for O (it is his birthday tomorrow). This was a surprise for O snd he was very touched - especially as his name had been spelt correctly (he has a very unusual name!)

This was the view from the cottage. Both J and I had serious house envy!

After lunch we went down to the beach. Due to a lack of rain in Northern Vermont, the lake was a lot lower than usual. You could walk out and still only be at thigh height after 50m!

The other side of the lake was New York state. To the north the lake went into Canada.

The water was really warm. The kids spent about 3 hours (my friend has two kids the exact same age as O and F!) messing around on the rings and surf board!

O enjoyed using the surfboard as a stand up paddle! We all had fun and it really was a brilliant relaxing afternoon in great company!

The drive back to the farm took about an hour!

While I sorted out the washing, O made us all another smoked salmon and avocado salad with a pesto dressing!

We are now pretty much packed up. Tomorrow we leave for the long drive to Acadia national park in Maine.

We have loved Vermont. It really is a beautiful state!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 03:29 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 6 Aug 18 3:29 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 06:22 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

That lake looks amazing - were you at a private area or was it open to the public?

So pleased you’ve enjoyed Vermont - we were worried we wouldn’t have anything to do for our two nights! I can see that we will be begging to go back now! Have a wonderful time in Maine & the rest of your trip - might not get chance to read anymore as we fly tomorrow xx
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Having a catch up. Looks like your all having a great time.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Have a safe journey to Maine Vermont looks a beautiful place

Joan
Old 6 Aug 18, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

The rides look great and that looks like a lovely way to spend an afternoon. Have a brilliant time in Acadia- we loved it!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

A great day and how lovely to meet up with an old friend.
Old 12 Aug 18, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
A fabulous day in yet more lovely surroundings. It must have been lovely to catch up with your friend after 10 years.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 18, 05:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
That lake looks amazing - were you at a private area or was it open to the public?

So pleased you’ve enjoyed Vermont - we were worried we wouldn’t have anything to do for our two nights! I can see that we will be begging to go back now! Have a wonderful time in Maine & the rest of your trip - might not get chance to read anymore as we fly tomorrow xx
The beach was a private beach. Both J and I had serious house envy!

Glad to hear you had a fab trip!

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Having a catch up. Looks like your all having a great time.
We were! I loved Vermont!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Have a safe journey to Maine Vermont looks a beautiful place

Joan
Vermont is a fabulous place - highly recommended!

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
The rides look great and that looks like a lovely way to spend an afternoon. Have a brilliant time in Acadia- we loved it!
Thank you! It was another brilliant day!

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
A great day and how lovely to meet up with an old friend.
I was lucky that our plans coincided with two of my friends!

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
A fabulous day in yet more lovely surroundings. It must have been lovely to catch up with your friend after 10 years.
It was! F loved the hack and the afternoon was a big hit!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List