Notices

Old 12 Aug 18, 02:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

New England Summer 2018: Day 15 - Echo Lake and Bass Harbor Lighthouse

Another early start! Not sure if this bodes well for the jetlag on the way home!

Being the creatures of habit we had the usual breakfasts before we headed out at about 8.30am. The plan was a walk then a swim.

It took about 20 minutes to drive to the car park of Echo Lake. This side of the island is far quieter than the Bar Harbor/Loop side.

The walk left from the car park through a forested trail.

It then started to get steep with lots of rocky steps going upwards. At least from J's point of view (he doesn't like heights or sheer drops) it wasn't too bad.

This was the first overlook - looking over Echo Lake which is a freshwater lake.

Then we got to the ladders - four metal ladders of between 10 and 18 rungs. Yo be honest, compared to yesterday hike, the ladders were rather tame!

They looked worse looking down!

The view from the top was very impressive though. We sat down, drank water and just enjoyed it.

We actually only climbed 148m vertically according to my iwatch but it looks much higher!

We went down on the Canada Trail which as a lot easier but twice as long in distance!

In total the walk was only 3km so not that arduous.

The kids and J changed into their swim wear and went into the lake. It was a lot warmer than the ocean at Sand Beach yesterday.

That is where we climbed to - looks more impressive from below!

We then drove to Southwest Harbor. I tried yo get cash out from our prepaid mastercard but the banks here are annoying - they say I have reached my daily limit. In Vermont I hot out $300 cash in one go - today I managed $50!

We went back to our favourite cafe. J had a vanilla milkshake, F had lobster tail ice cream (had orange bits in it!) and O gad fried cheesecake!

I tasted it all - the cheesecake was actually really nice and not heavy or greasy at all.

We then continued on to Bass Harbor lighthouse. This was a bit of a disappointment on the photo front as it was difficult to get a good photo. At least we didn't have to walk far.

Not sure if it is better in black and white!

We headed back and eventually had lunch (after the late morning snack we were not that hungry!) The kids had the last of the salmon in a sandwich and J and I had a cheese sandwich each!

We headed back out to Bar Harbor to get a t-shirt J had seen yesterday that the sop said would be in his size today (it was) plus a gift for J's parents who were dog sitting June our Pyrenean Sheepdog. I also got a lobster pot keyring and F got a bracelet.

We came across a very old fashioned ice cream shop.

With lots of fudge choices (we try and avoid fudge - too nice to eat and not good for a family who has s diabetic in it! )

O had a 3 scoop ice cream which he kindly shared.

We wandered around for a little more. J liked the old fashioned pharmacy sign. I love the expression of soda fountain. It conjures up something exotic!

I drove back - this time we were better parked. I gad spent 10 minutes before coming today parking where the parking was!

J made scrambled eggs for himself and the kids. I was still gull from sharing O's ice cream. I did two loads of washing. The next place doesn't have a washing machine do I want to be as up to date as possible.

We gave been watching the baseball again! It seems to be a good year for the Boston Redsox!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 02:59 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 12 Aug 18 2:59 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
MichelleS
Imagineer

Another lovely day ,I don’t think I’ll try the ice cream though

1996 Music - 2004 Sports - 2006 Movies & POR - 2007 Loews Miami Beach & Buena Vista Palace
2008 Fairfield Inn / St Augustine / POR - 2011 Springhill Suites LBV
Aug 2022 Disney All Stars (with Grandchildren)
MichelleS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another lovely day and more fantastic scenery

Joan
Old 12 Aug 18, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

A really good day with some more stunning scenery.
Old 13 Aug 18, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Gorgeous photos of the scenery again.

The baseball seemed to be on a lot for us too!
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Caught up on the last few days, I worn out with all your walking but the views look amazing!
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Wow, ow those are some stunning views. What a kooky place in the afternoon. So much ice cream !
I’m worn out reading .. you will need a holiday to recover from all the walking
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MichelleS View Post
Another lovely day ,I don’t think I’ll try the ice cream though
I think we were ice creamed out by the end of the holiday!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another lovely day and more fantastic scenery

Joan
Acadia certainly is a stunning place!

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
A really good day with some more stunning scenery.
I agree

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Gorgeous photos of the scenery again.

The baseball seemed to be on a lot for us too!
Got to love the baseball!

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Caught up on the last few days, I worn out with all your walking but the views look amazing!
I don’t mind walking! The kids do complain at times but are not bad all things considered!

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Wow, ow those are some stunning views. What a kooky place in the afternoon. So much ice cream !
I’m worn out reading .. you will need a holiday to recover from all the walking
I do need another holiday - could I sneak into your Dubai suitcase

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List