Notices

Old 13 Aug 18, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Dennys
Trying for More Ears

Beware The Snack Police - Day 2 - Blondies & Longhorn

We went to Islands of Adventure today - with a brief walk through Universal Studios as that had Early Opening.

We had the usual breakfast of cereals and fruit in the room then set off. We managed to do the Minions ride then caught the Hogwarts Express to IoA.

Today was a day of changing plans - we had planned on going to the Three Broomsticks for lunch until J pointed out it was really similar to yesterday's lunch and that he fancied a hotdog!

We ended up going to Blondies in Toon Land in IoA.

I had a tuna salad sandwich, potato salad and crisps with a Diet Coke. We um'd and aah'd about whether to use the Universal meal plans for these as they only just fit the criteria - this was $13.50 and $3.29 for the drink + tax. In the end we decided to use them as we don't want to be left with anything at the end and if necessary we can always buy some more.

This was really lovely and fresh tasting.

N went for the Dagwood - Fresh baked onion & poppy seed bread piled high with baked ham, turkey, roast beef, American and Swiss cheese, topped with lettuce, tomatoes, mayonnaise and mustard.

My sandwich was freshly made in front of us. This one was ready made and taken out of the fridge. He said it was really tasty and was bigger than it looked - took him a while to get through it!

L & J both went for hotdogs here, which came with fries and a brookie - a brownie baked into a cookie.

These were $13.99 + $3.29 for their drink.

We escaped the theme park at the first sound of thunder and dashed back to the hotel to wait out the rain - which didn't arrive! So N & I went out to Publix to pick up some more milk & cereals... including these healthy looking things!

We also picked up some more snacks...

Really spicy crisps, some refried beans to take home with us!, more M&Ms which were buy 1 get one free and some Reece's snack mix - popcorn, pretzels, Reeces pieces and mini Reece's cups. I had this on my list of must do snacks after spotting them in an American candy shop in the UK and I am glad I did - they are ace!

We also found the British aisle!

We also got some watermelon to ensure that we had had something fresh during the day!

We were going to walk out to Citywalk for tea but as we all got changed the rain finally arrived - and didn't stop! No-one fancied walking in the rain, so we changed plans and decided to drive out for tea instead. N decided Longhorns was where he fancied so we found an address, put it in to HereWeGo and off we went.

N had had a couple of drinks by this time, so I ended up having to drive... it was raining and dark and I hadn't yet driven on the holiday - but we got there in the end!

We decided that as we were at Longhorns it would be daft not to have steak - we just each had to decide which one!

Luckily we had bread brought out while we decided!

We all got salad with our meals, which were bought out as starters - a long time before mains, so got mostly eaten up straight away... which I think makes it feel strange when you end up with no vegetables on your main plate!

L & J again went for the same meal. 8oz Sirloin (which, confusingly, is what we call Rump in the UK (apparently - correct me if I'm wrong!) with fries. These both got eaten up...

N went for 8oz Sirloin with grilled prawns. He said this was the best steak he had ever had!

He also had a vase or 2 of bud light... it seemed as though every time he got near the bottom of one another would magically reappear...

I had the 6oz Sirloin with ribs and mash. The ribs were delicious, the steak OK and the mash ridiculously creamy (but tasty, too!). The plate definitely seemed empty without veg - some peas would have been nice!

I had blackberry iced tea with this which was really delicious.

We were all too stuffed for pudding - obviously not completely acclimatised yet!

It was still raining when we set off back to the hotel - N was trying to navigate using the app. Not sure whether it was the roadworks, weather or the above magically refilling glass but the journey back wasn't quite as straightforward and tempers (mine) may have got a little fraught... but again, we (eventually) arrived back in one piece... and had another early-ish night.

Edited at 08:51 PM. Reason: Typo
Dennys is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Dennys - 13 Aug 18 8:45 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Good day you can’t beat a Longhorn meal and you are right about the rump/ sirloin 🥩

Joan
Old 13 Aug 18, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Love longhorns ❤️
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Lots of great food!
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Some very tasty food.
Old 14 Aug 18, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Didn’t know that about sirloin/rump!

We tried Longhorns 2 weeks ago - our first off site foray and loved it. I am dreaming of my filet and mash ... those buttery mash are beyond good... looks like you’re having a fab holiday x

2001 Sheraton International Drive
2016 Caribbean Beach Resort
2017 Port Orleans Riverside
2018 Port Orleans Riverside and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel
Pez01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Shame about the rain but Longhorns looked good. I’ve never tried Blondies so I will have to add that to the list.
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
JanetteP
Imagineer

I never knew that about the sirloin/rump as I always have either fillet or sirloin - always nice though. Love Longhorns, but love Texas Roadhouse more Great day again.

Janette
Dreamy Corner June 23, Potter’s Villa May 22, Shamu Villa Sep 22,AKL, HRH Lakeside Haven Sep 19, Lakeside Haven RPR May 19. White Blossom & Viburnum Villa Aug 18. SSR, Aurora Villa May 18. Kidani, RPR Champion Florida Villa 17, Staybridge Suites, White Blossom & Owens Villa 16 OKW, Champion Florida Villa & RPR 16, Magic Landings 15, Grand Reserve & HRH 2014, Tuscan Pines 12, Highgrove 09, Legacy Park 07, Indian Point 06 and 05, Florida Pines 04
Graduation Trip 2019
+ Trip Report 2018
JanetteP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List