Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Unread 7 Oct 18, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Boyle73
Imagineer

Absolutely miss the days of flying from Teesside, only a 5 minute drive home 😁

#UTB
Unread 7 Oct 18, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
MTEC
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

That would be much nicer than the trek home from manchester. Not sure about indirect though. We've only flown.direct. we have a xhild with special needs
MTEC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our WDW Holiday.
Unread 7 Oct 18, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Mater
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Is that place still open?!
Thought it was being demolished for housing?
Upcoming trip...
Oct 2018 Saratoga Springs WDW
Mater is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
WDW Saratoga Springs - October 2018
Unread 7 Oct 18, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
Originally Posted by Mater View Post
Is that place still open?!
Thought it was being demolished for housing?
Part of the airport grounds has been sold for housing.

The planning application signed off by a certain Labour councillor who ran for mayor and got her ass slapped! (she WAS on the board for peel and put the application in!)

Anyway, 500 for a three hop flight? Id rather drive to Manchester and pay 200-300 for direct.

We looked at this route for our November trip and were seriously considering it. But with a 13, 7 and 2 year old thought better.

Nov 2019 next with half the tribe in tow!
Powlay is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Family break
Unread 7 Oct 18, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ninnybobs View Post
Back in the day, you could get on a plane at Teesside Airport, have a quick flight to Glasgow and without having to leave your seat continue to Sanford Airport... it was so easy as only 15 minutes down the road.

Maybe we need to start a campaign... Bring back Teesside Airport flights to Florida.

I loved those days, it was before a number of local labour councils sold their soul to the devil aka PEEL.

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hiya Mark - remember to have your passenger facility fee to allow you access to the departure lounge, 6 per adult, 2 per child (aged 3 to 15), infants free - see HERE

Canny airport, as mouli said more routes, in particular one to LGW, but as FlyMayBe and those Easygets couldn't make Ncl to LGW pay it'll be a no-no for Teeside at the moment (Durham Tees Valley my Jim Royale!). I have a wry smile, I think of Teeside as RAF Middleton St George, or RAF Goosepool as locals call it as it was home to many Canadian squadrons during WWII.
Chris, I live in Yarm , just down the road and remember the days when Canadian crews flew the Airtours flights to Florida.
Our association with them continued well into the late 70/80s
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
AKL AND HRH
Unread 8 Oct 18, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Teesside to AMS is my preferred route to the US

Amsterdam is way better to transfer than LHR.

I worked out it cost me 300 extra in hotel rooms, food and petrol to go from MAN this summer.

Plus last time it was 40 minutes from wheels touching tarmac to putting my key in the front door and it was only 10am.

Just need KLM / AF to put their prices down a bit.

Edited at 09:16 AM. Reason: Typo
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Yeah, I'm goin' to Jackson (ville)
Unread 8 Oct 18, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
youre-nicked
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

It would be nice if you could get to more places from Teeside, I last used it in 1995 to fly to Belfast.

Hopefully it goes all right for you, I did indirect with BA last year and the wife hated it, reckons we would never do it again, as I pay for the holidays if I found a bargain that involved changes then I would do it again and to do it from my local airport would be brilliant, no long term parking as it is within cheap taxi distance and no need for an overnight stay before you go.

I flew to Turkey from Newcastle in May and it was nice to be local, then in August couldn't find a decent price from there so had to go to Glasgow which was a pain, especially the 5 hr drive back at rush hour on a Friday

I'm surprised it hasn't gone bust with the lack of flights, they really do need to improve things, us North Easterners do go on holidays and I'm sure an investment in getting the operators to start flying from there again would pay off.
Unread 8 Oct 18, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
markiemark90
Very Serious Dibber

markiemark90's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Thansk to all for updates.

for info outbound is Amsterdam and then MCO, its another hop in USA on return only.

Woudl have preferred only two hops, but part of this is to try it? The money I have saved on flights has paid for park tickets.

The total time travelling on the way out will be about 16 hours front door to villa front door, it would have been about 16 hours total if direct from Manchester, but I have no driving parking or hotels the night before to pay for. Just a lift or taxi 20 mins to airport.

Way back may be a pain, but you can only try it! We have no little kids in tow.

By the way I did not know you had to pay to use a lounge at Teesside?

For nostalgia - we flew from Teesside to Sanford on our first trip in 96! Airtours I think. The plane had taken off in Birmingam and then picked us up in Teesside. Those were the days!
QuickSilver