Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 14 Oct 18, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Niki T
VIP Dibber

August 2018 Wishing on a Star: Day 10 HS and Brown Derby Review

Today was an early one, Hollywood Studios was open at 7 - we were no longer a wander away so it had to be super early . We managed it though and were at the bus top for 6:30am. The bus arrived at 6:41 and we were in the park for 7:02. How about that for time specific?

That skyway is coming along nicely.

We headed, with everyone else, to the Toy Story and the queue for Slinky was 80mins! What? Already? Luckily we had a fastpass for it later in the holiday, but had hoped for more than one ride. We didn't really want to waste a magic morning standing in a queue for a ride which looked good, but nothing special. Instead we headed on Toy Story Mania. Unfortunately the last game wasn't working, so we ended up with pretty poor scores. John did write that I won, but we were far from best in hour which was just over 500K . How? Just, how?

Star Tours next, which was a walk on before deciding we fancied some breakfast. Last year we had a lovely breakfast at Min and Bill's, but it wasn't open, so it was back to Andy's lunchbox for a turkey sandwich and 2 lots of tater tots. I was still sticking with water and not sharing drinks, so with a drink eat it was $22. The sandwich was lovely, neither of us a big turkey fans tending only to opt for turkey on Christmas Day but this was lovely.

We had a fastpass for Toy Story Mania and John won. Perhaps my winning streak was over? Hum, we'll see.

Off again to Star Tours, wow we were doing some zig zagging about the park. We did pin trade on the way to each ride though. On this ride my name came up on the screen and I was so absorbed reading it I walked directly into the guy in front .

Next up as a fastpass for Tower of Terror and I've noted there was a kid having a melt down, is there ever a time when there isn't a kid having a melt down on Tower of Terror? The concept and build up is pretty scary, so it's understandable.

After we scanned in, while we were waiting for our maintenance service elevator still in operation waiting for us but currently full of other guests, we booked a fastpass for Toy Story Mania. As there are fewer rides here fast passes disappear quickly. We had lunch booked at Brown Derby too with the Fantasmic package, so that limited our available times.

Where was I? Tower of Terror. Yes. It was a fab ride. I enjoyed it and all the other much more than I did the other day. I was now feeling much better and not relying on the throat spray nearly as much.

While we waited for our reservation time we pottered around the park and watched Beauty and the Beast at 11. It was a fab show and as we have hundreds of photos of it we both opted to just watch.

All too soon it was time to check in. This is always one of our must dos, we enjoy the package and the food has always been amazing. They've made some changes this year though and I think this will be our last visit. The package is $63pp which previously included any starter, main and dessert. Last year they took the dessert option away and you got a sampler instead. Fine. It was still worth it. This year they reduced the price by a few dollars and took the starter away. So now you get your choice of main, which has to be the most expensive if it's worth the money and a sampler dessert which you don't get to choose and there is now one less dessert on it ! Pretty poor really and we won't be returning. While the food was lovely it just wasn't worth the price we paid now all the options had been removed. Also, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I think if you pay for the dining package with 2x table service credits you get an alcoholic drink included, so for us, paying out of pocket, you got even less (if that's right) .

After that rather damning review, I'll share what we had: charred fillet of beef, on the side was a strange yellow sauce which I thought was awful - really bitter and our sampler dessert which had the grapefruit cake (which I hate) and the chocolate sphere which was dark chocolate. The bread basket came with simple bake in the oven rolls like you get from the supermarket here. It was a really poor meal and paying $156 for it including tip made it all the less enjoyable.

Next we watched the Frozen show. This is a fun show if you enjoy the films. The were some new jokes in it, so we enjoyed it.

Afterwards we headed over to Muppets and traded lots of pins with CMs earning their ears. While we were in the area we visited Rizzo pizza place for a drink. John noticed the sign lights up funny and says something about a "rat pizza" when they flickered, which was a pretty cool detail.

Next we watched Indy surrounded by excited kids. They absolute made the show for us as we've seen it lots of times but they were in awe. It nice seeing something again through the eyes of someone who hasn't seen it before.

This is a pic of Indy Stitch. There are different Stitches dressed up around the park, which is cute. Now for the show pics...

We chatted to one of the DVC salesman who recognised John from his Oakleys. He introduced him to his colleague as "the Oakley guy" . It was time for another drink so we headed to Starbucks, but it was absolutely rammed, I didn't fancy waiting and we wanted to try Baseline Taphouse, so headed there instead. I had a strawberry lemonade, John had a wild cherry lemonade and we shared a pretzel. It was $20.

We had another go on Star Tours catching a glimpse of the march en route.

Then it was time for our Toy Story Fastpass. We both did well, but I did the best . We checked the app and there was an Alien Swirling Saucers fastpass available, so we grabbed that and headed there. It's definitely a ride for little ones, but was cute and fun. It's a shame Disney cut back so much on the budget to Toy Story Land though. This could've have been a much better ride: overall this part of the park could have been much better. I mean, it's been open for a few months and was already showing signs of wear like peeling paint. It was missing shade and was, on the whole, a bit half hearted. Wow, I feel like I'm being really negative in today's summary, but am just calling it how I saw it. I do think Star Wars is going to be amazing and I can't wait to see that, but it's hard to see past the mess at the Studios at the moment and Toy Story Land just doesn't really cut it.

Despite not really being hungry there was a big storm brewing and we thought we'd seek shelter so headed to the Backlot Express where we shared some chicken nuggets which we spiced up with Tabasco and dipped in blue cheese. Lovely. It was throwing it down outside and it became quite busy so we shared our table with a family from New York. The little boy became quite struck with us. He was chatting and giggling away. I think it was our accents as he kept trying to say things we had said. We'd finished eating so decided to brave the rain which was slowing down. We said goodbye to our New York friends and gave the little boy a Lightning McQueeen pin badge from our traders. He was made up.

Although the rain had stopped, there was a lot of lightning in the area so Fantasmic was cancelled. Fortunately our priority seating was valid for 5 days, so we could come back. We decided on a last ride on Tower of Terror while there was real lightning and it really was "an evening like we had just witnessed" before lyfting home to Bay Lake.

We had a lovely evening sitting on the balcony watching the lightning, water paegent and fireworks in the distance.

We spotted one of the other Stitch mascots at some point during the day...

And must have ventured into Walt's One Man's dream at one point too - probably to escape the heat!

Niki T is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A good day apart from your meal at Brown Derby

Joan
Old 14 Oct 18, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Before our trip I felt like people were being a bit harsh on the Studios, I thought the walk from the car park/buses couldn't be as bad as they are making out (it's worse) and Toy Story Land couldn't be as hot as they say (it is), I am so excited to all of the work to be finished and the park to no longer be a building site.

You are right that you can have an alcoholic drink with the Dining Plan at HBD.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Brown Derby was very disappointing 😟 I am looking forward to Toy Story land 👍
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

Ah yes tower of terror meltdowns - and you are completely right, it isn't the thought of the ride itself it is the theming! Although DD has now said she will do it next year being 7 - last time she was only 4 but really wanted to go on then freaked out just as we were about to get in the elevator! (Bad parenting award here perhaps? ..&#128547 You live and learn! 😄
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 18, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Niki T
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
A good day apart from your meal at Brown Derby

Joan
Gutted it was so bad...won't be bothering again
Still a good day though, thanks for reading

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Before our trip I felt like people were being a bit harsh on the Studios, I thought the walk from the car park/buses couldn't be as bad as they are making out (it's worse) and Toy Story Land couldn't be as hot as they say (it is), I am so excited to all of the work to be finished and the park to no longer be a building site.

You are right that you can have an alcoholic drink with the Dining Plan at HBD.
I'm tempted to email them. They've just stripped it back too much. Won't be returning.

HS was a mess, like you, I didn't quite think it would be as much of a mess as that, but it was terrible. I think next time we go Epcot will be a mess as they've got lots planned for there over the next couple of years. It'll be worth it in the end

Thanks for reading

Originally Posted by Cinderella View Post
Brown Derby was very disappointing 😟 I am looking forward to Toy Story land 👍
Toy Story Land has its positives - Woody's lunchbox for example and Slinky is a cool ride. Have a great time and thanks for reading

Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
Ah yes tower of terror meltdowns - and you are completely right, it isn't the thought of the ride itself it is the theming! Although DD has now said she will do it next year being 7 - last time she was only 4 but really wanted to go on then freaked out just as we were about to get in the elevator! (Bad parenting award here perhaps? ..&#128547 You live and learn! 😄
No bad parenting award needed - you have to let them try. Hope she makes it next year It wouldn't be the same without a kid melting down. My fave was a little girl who really brave throughout the queue then once on the ride asked, quite seriously, if we were all going to die? To which her mum replied, "I hope not."

Thanks for reading
Niki T is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Woah the cut backs on the meal at Brown Derby are bad. I would definitely email them about that. You should at least be allowed to choose a dessert!
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for another really detailed day. You are usually so positive about everything I know that package must have been bad for you to grumble! It's really helpful to read though so thanks for helping me to rule it out I'm glad your throat is improving, it was a shame to read about you feeling poorly in a previous day.
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 18, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
great day, shame about your meal x
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 18, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Niki T
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Unexpectedpenny View Post
Woah the cut backs on the meal at Brown Derby are bad. I would definitely email them about that. You should at least be allowed to choose a dessert!
I know. I think writing about it has made me more frustrated. At the time I wasn't sure if I was just being a bit grumpy because I'd been unwell, but putting it in black and white made me think it's definitely a non while this deal stands! Thanks for reading

Originally Posted by Palm trees View Post
Thanks for another really detailed day. You are usually so positive about everything I know that package must have been bad for you to grumble! It's really helpful to read though so thanks for helping me to rule it out I'm glad your throat is improving, it was a shame to read about you feeling poorly in a previous day.
It wasn't worth the money at all and has been kicked off our must do list. We did have Mama Melrose booked - wish we'd have stuck with it. It was rubbish being poorly. Thanks for reading

Originally Posted by summersun View Post
great day, shame about your meal x
Despite the meal, it was a good day. Thanks for reading